2018 Acceptances

@Mellowyellow, woo!!! Massive congrats!! I saw the Chicago acceptances on the survey and was hoping you were one!

@punctilious, congrats to your husband! Definitely seconding/thirding/fourthing the wishes that someone in his field will bail. It's also cool that they let him know his position on the waitlist!

@midwest-ford, yay, congrats! Western MA--especially the Pioneer Valley--is one of my favorite areas ever, and UMass seems like such a great program.

@pronountrouble, congrats! I grew up just a few miles from BC and have nothing but great things to say about Newton.

And congrats to anyone else I missed!!

Edited by Crow T. Robot

On 1/31/2018 at 11:32 AM, JustPoesieAlong said:

I'm originally from Texas, and will second @CulturalCriminal's assessment of the area. College Station is a very conservative area--much more so than most university towns. Austin and College Station are basically different worlds. That said, I would bet that you would spend most of your time with people in the department/university, other than when teaching, so it wouldn't necessarily be that bad.

Thank you for sharing! I had lived in the US only for about a couple of years and I was in California then. But as you said, it seems likely that I would spend most of my time at the university.   

I don't know if this has been discussed or not, but do you guys know if schools send out the waitlist at the same-ish time as the acceptances? I know rejections can some sooner, or much later and it's usually all over the map for school, but what about waitlists? 

Also, congrats on all the acceptances today! Hopefully, the rest of the week goes well for everyone! 

3 hours ago, canadianchart said:

I don't know if this has been discussed or not, but do you guys know if schools send out the waitlist at the same-ish time as the acceptances? I know rejections can some sooner, or much later and it's usually all over the map for school, but what about waitlists? 

Also, congrats on all the acceptances today! Hopefully, the rest of the week goes well for everyone! 

based on results sleuthing I'd say the norm is that waitlists come out very soon after acceptances, if not practically at the same time.

Also just got a UT Austin acceptance! (Same deal, email with PDF attached.) First acceptance after a few rejections -- feels good! Congrats to @unicornsarereal -- perhaps I'll see you around!!

Edited by Stormborn

14 minutes ago, unicornsarereal said:

i got into austin!! holy shit!! 

fyi: they sent me an email with a pdf decision.

3 minutes ago, Stormborn said:

Also just got a UT Austin acceptance! (Same deal, email with PDF attached.) First acceptance after a few rejections -- feels good! Congrats to @unicornsarereal -- perhaps I'll see you around!!

Congrats!! What a cool place to live!

4 minutes ago, more.truly.more.strange said:

When I saw an email about an application decision, I was bracing myself for a rejection from Chicago or Berkeley (per the projected schedule) and was totally shocked by my Austin acceptance! 

Congrats!! Feel free to pm me!

13 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

I GOT INTO AUSTIN- HOLY SHIT. I'M SHAKING. THIS IS MY TOP CHOICE- OH MY GOD

That's amazing! It must have been an awesome fit on their part as well!! Congratulations on picking the one.

Thanks everyone!!

Davida Charney and some of my POI just emailed me, and I know I need to email back, but I can't stop shaking to think of a coherent sentence to write back.