2018 Acceptances

3 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

That's strange ... MSU is a member of the Council of Graduate Schools. Seems kind of sketchy... 

My understanding is that the April 15th deadline agreement isn't binding in any way, so they can actually do whatever they want when it comes down to it (which is a pain for me because the OSU open house is after the MSU deadline). 

8 minutes ago, midwest-ford said:

My understanding is that the April 15th deadline agreement isn't binding in any way, so they can actually do whatever they want when it comes down to it (which is a pain for me because the OSU open house is after the MSU deadline). 

If it's not binding, then what's the point of the agreement? That smacks of bad faith... 

Edited by FreakyFoucault

3 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

If it's not binding, what's the point of the agreement? That smacks of bad faith... 

The April 15th deadline applies only to funded offers. If you don’t sign before then, the funded offer dissappears. If you sign with a school before then but get a different offer that you prefer afterwards, you’ll need written permission from that school. It’s mostly a date to give more uniformity to grad admissions so that way people aren’t waiting year round for admissions. It helps to avoid rolling admissions and tries to ensure that nobody is waiting forever on a school’s waitlist. 

3 minutes ago, Warelin said:

The April 15th deadline applies only to funded offers. If you don’t sign before then, the funded offer dissappears. If you sign with a school before then but get a different offer that you prefer afterwards, you’ll need written permission from that school. It’s mostly a date to give more uniformity to grad admissions so that way people aren’t waiting year round for admissions. It helps to avoid rolling admissions and tries to ensure that nobody is waiting forever on a school’s waitlist.

Thanks, Warelin! Do you know of any instances where schools in the CGS are able to opt out of their agreement? Can they pull the old switcheroo? 

1 hour ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Accepted to Texas A&M and nominated for a university fellowship. :)

Wow that sounds big!!

congrats to everyone!

Chronic lurker here, adding one to the Buffalo herd! After a heartbreaker of a rejection last evening from OSU (my first official response), I was over the moon to get Buffalo's acceptance today. I believe I've finally stopped shaking enough to type. I know the post-acceptance euphoria is momentary...eight applications to go...

Many congratulations to all receiving good news from on high in this trying time. To those still in academic limbo: keep heart! 

Edited by ModernMimetic

Just got an email from the department that I got accepted into the University of Manitoba for their MA English program! Although not a prestigious or popular school like you guys are applying to (holy crap ya'll must be geniuses), it's still good to hear an acceptance! Congrats to everyone on your acceptances so far!

12 minutes ago, ModernMimetic said:

Chronic lurker here, adding one to the Buffalo herd! After a heartbreaker of a rejection last evening from OSU (my first official response), I was over the moon to get Buffalo's acceptance today. I believe I've finally stopped shaking enough to type. I know the post-acceptance euphoria is momentary...eight applications to go...

Many congratulations to all receiving good news from on high in this trying time. To those still in academic limbo: keep heart! 

Yay!! One acceptance = one program to turn to!! That's amazing. Congrats, all you beautiful wild beasts!

3 minutes ago, canadianchart said:

Just got an email from the department that I got accepted into the University of Manitoba for their MA English program! Although not a prestigious or popular school like you guys are applying to (holy crap ya'll must be geniuses), it's still good to hear an acceptance! Congrats to everyone on your acceptances so far!

Don't be shy if your school isn't "prestigious." All that matters is the education you get, and the faculty that supports you. Congrats! Is it a funded MA or did you get a scholarship?

3 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Don't be shy if your school isn't "prestigious." All that matters is the education you get, and the faculty that supports you. Congrats! Is it a funded MA or did you get a scholarship?

Thanks, that meant a lot! Makes me feel much better about my schools now! No word on funding since I only got a personal email from the professor that I want to work with (is that what POI's are?) but I should be hearing about the offer from the grad school in the next few days 

To everyone that got into Buffalo today: Congratulations!

And as an inside scoop, they will probably have their new admit visitation days on 3/12 & 3/13 or 3/13 & 3/14 or so I've been told. 

Edited by jelris

7 minutes ago, canadianchart said:

Thanks, that meant a lot! Makes me feel much better about my schools now! No word on funding since I only got a personal email from the professor that I want to work with (is that what POI's are?) but I should be hearing about the offer from the grad school in the next few days 

Interesting! So is it a program that accepts you only if they can grant funding, or is there a chance that you'll have to pay for tuition yourself? I might not be clear enough.

Yeah POI's are the profs. that you cite when you fangirl/boy/-- in your SOP! :D 

Edited by Yanaka
Enough with the binary, Yanaka!

Thanks to all! @Warelin @FreakyFoucault @M(allthevowels)H @Mellowyellow @la_mod and any others I've missed. 

So many congrats to everyone who've gotten good news today as well. I'm so relieved to have one acceptance under my belt, plus it's a pretty sweet offer--even better if I were to manage and land that fellowship. Plus, my family is in Texas; it'd be nice to be closer to them!

@canadianchart--Congratulations! I definitely wouldn't worry about the prestige. If the program is a good fit for you and your interests, then it's a good program! 

Edited by JustPoesieAlong
Clarity

15 minutes ago, canadianchart said:

Congrats! I really like Winnipeg. It's the Slurpee capital of the world! 

52 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

Yay! Congratulations!

Congrats to all you Buffalo buffaloes buffaloing!

(I know that's not what the verb means, but don't take this from me, it brings me joy)

Thanks! And hey ..... herd? HERD! 

@jvvne - I think we'll get funding info from the dept directly (probably via email) within a few days or like a week (I'm basing this off experience with different programs.)

9 minutes ago, jelris said:

To everyone that got into Buffalo today: Congratulations!

And as an inside scoop, they will probably have their new admit visitation days on 3/12 & 3/13 or 3/13 & 3/14 or so I've been told. 

Thank you @jelris!

1 hour ago, canadianchart said:

That is awesome!!!! Congrats! Just having one acceptance must ease the stress a bit. (I am checking my email like a 100 times a day until I hear yes from someone lol) So happy for you!!!! =) 

52 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Interesting! So is it a program that accepts you only if they can grant funding, or is there a chance that you'll have to pay for tuition yourself? I might not be clear enough.

I honestly don't know... I didn't look too much into UofM funding because I get tuition reimbursement for any program in Manitoba since I'm an indigenous person of Canada and my tribe is located in MB. But I do know that they offer scholarships and fellowships to students. TAships mostly go to PhD students

3 minutes ago, canadianchart said:

I honestly don't know... I didn't look too much into UofM funding because I get tuition reimbursement for any program in Manitoba since I'm an indigenous person of Canada and my tribe is located in MB. But I do know that they offer scholarships and fellowships to students. TAships mostly go to PhD students

Oooooh!! That's awesome! Yeah if they also have a PhD program I think it's unlikely they have funding for MA's? 

I would have so many questions if we knew each other. I'm very rude and very curious, so you're in luck that I'm miles away! :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Oooooh!! That's awesome! Yeah if they also have a PhD program I think it's unlikely they have funding for MA's? 

I would have so many questions if we knew each other. I'm very rude and very curious, so you're in luck that I'm miles away! :lol: 

Many schools have funding for MAs and PhDs both, so no giving up yet! I'd say the official offer from the school would have the funding if any! 

2 minutes ago, A2018 said:

Many schools have funding for MAs and PhDs both, so no giving up yet! I'd say the official offer from the school would have the funding if any! 

Oh I'm not giving up, I'm already paying out of pocket for my MA, LOL

2 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Oh I'm not giving up, I'm already paying out of pocket for my MA, LOL

Sorry for not being clear haha, I was talking to the person that got into U of Manitoba :) Many MA programs in the States aren't funded but it's different in Canada 

2 minutes ago, A2018 said:

Sorry for not being clear haha, I was talking to the person that got into U of Manitoba :) Many MA programs in the States aren't funded but it's different in Canada 

Beeeeeeeh, sorry! See, I'm rude!