2018 Acceptances

9 minutes ago, jpbends said:

Anybody else obsessively checking their application portals and email? I wasn't offered an interview at UChicago so I'm feeling that that's out the window, but I've been flipping between the rest of my schools like lightning and trying not to vomit.

Of course! What else what would I be doing? Cleaning my house? Working on my thesis? Something productive? No! I have to worry and obsessively check statuses that are not going to change on Saturday night!

45 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

Of course! What else what would I be doing? Cleaning my house? Working on my thesis? Something productive? No! I have to worry and obsessively check statuses that are not going to change on Saturday night!

I keep telling myself that if I don't finish my master's thesis I cannot go get my PhD, but it's not very convincing and here I am :(

5 minutes ago, midwest-ford said:

I keep telling myself that if I don't finish my master's thesis I cannot go get my PhD, but it's not very convincing and here I am :(

Dude, same! I'm like nothing can happen if i don't finish this. I guess the lack of an acceptance has me.... unmotivated right now. I need to just get working.

I found out two days ago that I got accepted into Carnegie Mellon's MA Literary and Cultural Studies program (which is great!), but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing or what to expect. What should I being doing to prepare for my first semester? Also, I'm new to this forum, so if this isn't the place just let me know. 

1 hour ago, TrickySituationist said:

I found out two days ago that I got accepted into Carnegie Mellon's MA Literary and Cultural Studies program (which is great!), but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing or what to expect. What should I being doing to prepare for my first semester? Also, I'm new to this forum, so if this isn't the place just let me know. 

Congrats on the MA acceptance! Are you waiting for more programs? What are you hoping to hear back about?

Edited by Warelin

3 hours ago, TrickySituationist said:

Enjoy yrself!

10 hours ago, Warelin said:

Congrats on the MA acceptance! Are you waiting for more programs? What are you hoping to hear back about?

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear back from a few schools so I can best weigh my options, but I'm pretty sure CMU is the one.

3 minutes ago, bumbleblu said:

Thank you!! I've certainly done a 180 from the nightmare I had two years ago. 

Congratulations! You may have posted something like this elsewhere, but it would be wonderful to know what you did differently. I don't know if I would reapply if I get shut out this year, but I am at least trying to consider the possibility. 

12 minutes ago, bumbleblu said:

Accepted to UW-Madison rhet/comp!!!!!!??!???

I didn't get any further than the first sentence of the email, but OH MY GOD.

THAT'S AMAZING!!! Huge congratulations!!!!

7 minutes ago, Wabbajack said:

Congratulations!!! :lol:

Thank you!!! :D

5 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Congratulations! You may have posted something like this elsewhere, but it would be wonderful to know what you did differently. I don't know if I would reapply if I get shut out this year, but I am at least trying to consider the possibility. 

Thank you!!!

The main thing I did different was finish my M.A. The last time I applied, I had barely started my thesis, and hadn't quite figured out what my research interests were. I took two years to think, did some writing, got published. I also had about 20 people read my SOP -- this was crucial, as last time no one else but me and the adcomms ever saw that disaster. Revising it so many times, and having so many different eyeballs on it kind of forced me to focus my interests even further. 

I'm sorry I don't have a clear idea of What I Did Differently That Worked beyond waiting a bit. It was completely devastating to be totally shut out, but I want this enough that I was always going to reapply. It's also possible that this is just the right year for my interests. Who can say, really. 

12 minutes ago, punctilious said:

THAT'S AMAZING!!! Huge congratulations!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!