2018 Acceptances

2 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

If you have an opportunity to take a class with Jim Phelan (i.e. if narrative theory fits anywhere in your wheelhouse) DO IT! He co-led the 2015 Project Narrative and he is SO COOL! And so smart! And just all-around a great guy. Angus Fletcher was the other faculty member that year - he's also wonderful and brilliant and fantastic AND THIS IS JUST SO EXCITING FOR YOU!

Yes to all of these thing, and thank you again!!!! :D:D

I'm wishing the best for all the other OSU applicants, as well!!!! I'm also, as usual, out of reactions, so I'll hit everyone up with some love tomorrow! 

16 hours ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

HALP!

Just checked my Temple portal and I AM CONFUSED AF. 

A few days ago, it said "Application Status: Complete; Decision: Under Dept Review (or something close to that)."

Today, it says, "Application Status: Decision Made; Decision: University Acceptance."

No emails/calls from the department - any clue what this means? 

I'm thrilled it's a sign of life (wahoo!) and I'm hopeful it is Very, Very Good News - however, I realize it could mean that, like, I've passed through the grad school hope and am now onto departmental hoops, so I'm Extremely Cautious.

If it helps - apps were due 12/14, app was listed as complete/under review on like 1/16 (which is why I don't think this is actually an acceptance of any kind.) 

Any thoughts are welcome - I have a friend in their program currently but I'm too scared to reach out to him, hahahaha ... ahhhahaha ... AHHHHH .. I WAS COUNTING ON THIS BEING STRAIGHTFORWARD AND I PLAYED MYSELF.

I won't jinx you, but that seems like quite a good sign ;) And lol, nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems! 

2 minutes ago, Marritz21 said:

I won't jinx you, but that seems like quite a good sign ;) And lol, nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems! 

Thank you! And omg, I know right? I should know better - this is par for the course in "Funny Things Grad Schools Do" land.

10 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Unfortunately, Old Bill retired in August from the forums. :(

True, true, but his 60,000 posts were probably taxing the servers. And, you know, there's the whole PhD thing.... 

And thanks, @Warelin and @mk-8!!! :D:) 

Edited by FreakyFoucault

33 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

I GOT ACCEPTED TO OSU!!!

I knew my Home state wouldn't let me down!! 

Cannot breathe need help!! 

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

@a_sort_of_fractious_angel *wink wink*  (this wink is an implied congratulations for the acceptance that I am 100% sure you just got. But it's not the word "congratulations" and so, thusly, is jinx-proof.)

45 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

I GOT ACCEPTED TO OSU!!!

FREAKING OUT FOR YOU! YAYYYYYY CONGRATULATIONS!!!

48 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

I GOT ACCEPTED TO OSU!!!

Congratulations! Let's hope a wave of good news hits these boards now!! So excited for you!

@FreakyFoucaultDid you get a phone call, email or both?

11 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Another acceptance to OSU is up. Congrats to whoever posted it! I'm thinking that those of us who haven't seen updates on the web portal are either waitlisted or rejected. 

Congrats to all the admits!

I wouldn’t necessarily assume that if you haven’t received an OSU acceptance you’re out of the running — their admissions process is strongly defined by period groups/committees, and some periods will often admit students (without having waitlisted them) in an ongoing process throughout the next few months as their lists become more settled, etc.

3 minutes ago, unræd said:

I wouldn’t necessarily assume that if you haven’t received an OSU acceptance you’re out of the running — their admissions process is strongly defined by period groups/committees, and some periods will often admit students (without having waitlisted them) in an ongoing process throughout the next few months as their lists become more settled, etc.

Bless you, kind soul. Seriously. Here's hoping that you're right! :) 

6 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Bless you, kind soul. Seriously. Here's hoping that you're right! :) 

@unræd tends to be right about these things. They had a killer app season a few years ago. :)

I think the only schools in which you can assume a rejection from if you haven't heard from them for an interview are Notre Dame and Chicago. Some schools do have invisible waitlists. I think they do it to avoid overenrollment.

I also did my undergrad at OSU (and still maintain close connections with the department, although obviously there are other actual OSU grad students on the board who should be first ports of call, and my info’s now three years out of date), and am happy to answer questions about the University and Columbus!

1 hour ago, Warelin said:

Congrats!!

Unfortunately, Old Bill retired in August from the forums. :(

He did! But if FreakyFoucault wants and accepts OSU’s offer, he can investigate and look for him within the program. That’s why I’d do :ph34r: hahaha

6 minutes ago, unræd said:

I also did my undergrad at OSU (and still maintain close connections with the department, although obviously there are other actual OSU grad students on the board who should be first ports of call, and my info’s now three years out of date), and am happy to answer questions about the University and Columbus!

Thanks, @unræd! I may very well take you up on that. 

4 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

But if FreakyFoucault wants and accepts OSU’s offer, he can investigate and look for him within the program. That’s why I’d do :ph34r: hahaha

If I do end up at OSU, I'll certainly hunt down Old Bill so I can thank him for his prodigious wisdom!

6 minutes ago, HopefulRhetorician said:

Congrats, @FreakyFoucault! That's great news! My application status still says "pending." Hope is dwindling by the minute ?

Thanks, @HopefulRhetorician:D:D! And don't lose faith! Despite @unræd's username (which, yes, I had to Google), he does, as @Warelin says, give very good advice.