2018 Acceptances

1 hour ago, evanmarie said:

Today I got an e-mail from Alabama with the subject line "Your Application Has been Referred" and then 

Thank you again for applying to the Graduate School at The University of Alabama. Your application to the English, PHD program is still being reviewed by the academic department. As questions arise concerning the decision timeline, program details, and any other program related questions, please contact their office directly. For help finding departmental contacts, you can click here.

Did anybody else get this? Does it just mean it's now with the department?

I applied to Alabama and got this same email a couple of weeks ago (1/3, to be precise). I think it just means it has been passed to the Department, but I'm not certain. What is your area, if you don't mind me asking? I applied to the Strode program.

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

I have a question for anyone who can offer some advice. Though I was accepted via the application portal on Wednesday, I still haven't heard directly from anyone in the English dept at the University of Minnesota. What is the appropriate course of action here -- do I wait to hear from them? Or should I be reaching out? 

3 minutes ago, clinamen said:

I have a question for anyone who can offer some advice. Though I was accepted via the application portal on Wednesday, I still haven't heard directly from anyone in the English dept at the University of Minnesota. What is the appropriate course of action here -- do I wait to hear from them? Or should I be reaching out? 

The Waiting Game: Lightning Round Edition

In my mind, you get props for being able to wait two days without contact! I have no idea how long I'd be able to hold out. I don't see an issue with a nicely worded inquiry to the department. 

3 hours ago, clinamen said:

Congrats!!! I've also applied to the U of Minnesota, but mine still reads Awaiting Program Decision.  

6 hours ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

I applied to Alabama and got this same email a couple of weeks ago (1/3, to be precise). I think it just means it has been passed to the Department, but I'm not certain. What is your area, if you don't mind me asking? I applied to the Strode program.

Yeah that is what I think too, but I had a little heart attack when I saw haha! Not at all, I do 20th century Afam Lit, with a focus on prison writing (so definitely not Strode, but that's so cool!)

Best of luck!

Edited by evanmarie

14 hours ago, clinamen said:

It took a couple days for the DGS at OSU to email me after the portal updated. I don't think it would be a problem to politely ask when you could expect to hear something, though. There's something really painful about waiting for that contact!

5 hours ago, bumbleblu said:

It took a couple days for the DGS at OSU to email me after the portal updated. I don't think it would be a problem to politely ask when you could expect to hear something, though. There's something really painful about waiting for that contact!

Yeah I wanted to wait for the DGS to contact me because I just don’t feel comfortable reaching out first for some reason. It’s just a bummer because now I will likely have to wait until Monday. But I can’t complain, I’m just happy it’s an acceptance and anxious/excited to hear more info about the program and funding etc. ? I’ve heard from a few people it can take a couple of days after the portal update so if I don’t hear by Wednesday I’ll probably reach out. 

On 1/26/2018 at 2:03 PM, evanmarie said:

Today I got an e-mail from Alabama with the subject line "Your Application Has been Referred" and then 

Thank you again for applying to the Graduate School at The University of Alabama. Your application to the English, PHD program is still being reviewed by the academic department. As questions arise concerning the decision timeline, program details, and any other program related questions, please contact their office directly. For help finding departmental contacts, you can click here.

Did anybody else get this? Does it just mean it's now with the department?

Yes, I got the same email. I think the graduate school reviews it first then decides whether or not to pass it to the English department. When they say it has been "referred," I think that means that the graduate school passed it on to the department.

It took about a week after I got the "referred" email to get an acceptance letter from the DGS.

3 minutes ago, jpb499 said:

Anybody else obsessively checking their application portals and email? I wasn't offered an interview at UChicago so I'm feeling that that's out the window, but I've been flipping between the rest of my schools like lightning and trying not to vomit.

Yuuuuup. And of course, they're always the same. "A watched portal never boils." Or changes decision status, apparently.