2018 Acceptances

5 minutes ago, id_ot said:

@Warelin right! didn't notice :)  

I would say that not only are GRE averages tricky, but that they are not very relevant to literature programs unless they are very bad. The only really interesting bit is the decisions timelines - interesting to see which programs notify all at once and which do so gradually over a long period of time.

It wasn't. It was posted on the Waiting It Out board.

I saw it pop up yesterday which probably means I'm spending way too much time here while waiting on e-mails.:blink:

I would be curious to know what they consider Literature though. It's possible that Comp. Lit and different language literature may have been included within that. Some programs have 'invisible' waitlists! I think a lot of smaller programs only accept as many people as they can admit to their class. Once they reject, those spots become available again. They do this to avoid over-enrollment. :)

13 minutes ago, Warelin said:

It wasn't. It was posted on the Waiting It Out board.

I saw it pop up yesterday which probably means I'm spending way too much time here while waiting on e-mails.:blink:

I would be curious to know what they consider Literature though. It's possible that Comp. Lit and different language literature may have been included within that. Some programs have 'invisible' waitlists! I think a lot of smaller programs only accept as many people as they can admit to their class. Once they reject, those spots become available again. They do this to avoid over-enrollment. :)

"invisible" waitlist = being waitlisted without knowing it?

5 minutes ago, id_ot said:

"invisible" waitlist = being waitlisted without knowing it?

Correct! Made even more confusing because some schools use it in addition to their regular waitlists. Some schools also place you on that (invisible) list if they are trying to get the funding made available for you to attend. :)

47 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Correct! Made even more confusing because some schools use it in addition to their regular waitlists. Some schools also place you on that (invisible) list if they are trying to get the funding made available for you to attend. :)

Any knowledge of which schools have been known to use such a system? (My OSU application status still says pending, so clearly I'm pulling on strings with this hope...)

25 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Any knowledge of which schools have been known to use such a system? (My OSU application status still says pending, so clearly I'm pulling on strings with this hope...)

Purdue does this. They kind of have this "unofficial" waitlist type thing. I think it's been documented in other threads. Not sure about any other schools, though.

I was lurking on this forum for a long time and just started posting to other threads recently. Apparently that was the magic ingredient. Just accepted into Minnesota's Rhetoric and Scientific & Technical Communication PhD program.

48 minutes ago, Wabbajack said:

I was lurking on this forum for a long time and just started posting to other threads recently. Apparently that was the magic ingredient. Just accepted into Minnesota's Rhetoric and Scientific & Technical Communication PhD program.

Congrats!

I'm assuming Ohio State web portals that haven't yet will roll over today...Mine still says pending. Doesn't really line up with what the survey shows from previous years, so of course I'm obsessing--braced for a rejection, though. Anyone else have any news or thoughts? 

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

19 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

I'm assuming Ohio State web portals that haven't yet will roll over today...Mine still says pending. Doesn't really line up with what the survey shows from previous years, so of course I'm obsessing--braced for a rejection, though. Anyone else have any news or thoughts? 

I would not pay too much attention to the web portals.  I seem to remember that I had portal statuses from various schools that said things like "Pending" or "Under Review" well after I had been rejected or accepted by them.

8 minutes ago, jrockford27 said:

I would not pay too much attention to the web portals.  I seem to remember that I had portal statuses from various schools that said things like "Pending" or "Under Review" well after I had been rejected or accepted by them.

Thank you! I wouldn't normally worry so much over the portals, except that OSU seems to historically notify there first. But until I hear anything official, I'll just try to stay calm and distract myself. :) 

31 minutes ago, clinamen said:

Congratulations to the Temple acceptance!! This seems so early, I didn't expect for anyone to hear from them until mid-late feb! 

Hi! Thanks! It was me - so the letter was dated the day I messaged y'all about my portal panic. It's from the grad school - no details on anything. I'm guessing I'll be emailed next by the dept and I'm gonna bet it won't be today/this weekend. 

3 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Hi! Thanks! It was me - so the letter was dated the day I messaged y'all about my portal panic. It's from the grad school - no details on anything. I'm guessing I'll be emailed next by the dept and I'm gonna bet it won't be today/this weekend. 

Congrats on the acceptance. :)

And congrats to all the OSUs, and Purdue, and Minnesota, and Oregon, and the Carnegie Mellon MA and Rhet/Comp PhD! If I missed anyone, I'm sorry - y'all are just too damn successful and it's all happening so fast!

Also, CMU people - maybe be frands? 

And thanks, @Warelin

Edited by a_sort_of_fractious_angel

Today I got an e-mail from Alabama with the subject line "Your Application Has been Referred" and then 

Thank you again for applying to the Graduate School at The University of Alabama. Your application to the English, PHD program is still being reviewed by the academic department. As questions arise concerning the decision timeline, program details, and any other program related questions, please contact their office directly. For help finding departmental contacts, you can click here.

Did anybody else get this? Does it just mean it's now with the department?