2018 Acceptances

Thank you @FreakyFoucault and @Mellowyellow and @Warelin and @LeeLeeCzechIrish - got a case of the "holy f***ks" and now can't seem to type properly? Lol. 

Appears third application season is a charm! DON'T GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS, PEOPLE! 

Just accepted to SUNY Buffalo :) No word on funding but still feels great to have an acceptance under my belt. To those with experience, does it typically take a while between the general grad school acceptance and the departmental notification, and then funding? I'm trying not to drive myself nuts hoping for funding!

8 minutes ago, jvvne said:

Just accepted to SUNY Buffalo :) No word on funding but still feels great to have an acceptance under my belt. To those with experience, does it typically take a while between the general grad school acceptance and the departmental notification, and then funding? I'm trying not to drive myself nuts hoping for funding!

Congrats!!!

OSU e-mailed me a day after my website acceptance. I was nominated for a fellowship but won't know the results until the end of February or early March. But each school is probably different! 

10 minutes ago, jvvne said:

Congrats! From my experiences, it's a 2-3 day difference between department and grad school acceptance. :)

2 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Congrats!!!

OSU e-mailed me a day after my website acceptance. I was nominated for a fellowship but won't know the results until the end of February or early March. But each school is probably different! 

Thank you!! I figured it would be at least a day--I'm currently in an MFA program, and I remember it took over two months for me to hear back about funding :unsure: was hoping that maybe PhD notifications happened faster since they accept fewer people in the first place. Still thrilled to already be hearing back at all! 

Congrats to all of the other acceptances! 

Quick question for those of you who know how this works: Now that I'm accepted, the application portal brings me to an accept/deny admission page. How long do I have to accept? I don't have any other offers yet, and while Buffalo is my top choice, there's currently no word on funding. I've heard people mention April 15th quite a bit around here––is that the deadline for all schools?

4 minutes ago, semioclasm said:

I've heard people mention April 15th quite a bit around here––is that the deadline for all schools?

Yes, the Council of Graduate Schools set April 15th as the universal background. You can learn more about it here: http://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

HOWEVER, there may be one or two programs that use different dates. I don't see how that'd be possible, but crazier things have happened. Perhaps someone with direct knowledge can weigh in on this. 

5 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Yes, the Council of Graduate Schools set April 15th as the universal background. You can learn more about it here: http://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

HOWEVER, there may be one or two programs that use different dates. I don't see how that'd be possible, but crazier things have happened. Perhaps someone with direct knowledge can weigh in on this. 

MSU told me April 1st. 

48 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Accepted to Texas A&M and nominated for a university fellowship. :)

Yay! Congratulations!

1 hour ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Accepted to SUNY-Buffalo. Got an email from the grad school - department email forthcoming. 

22 minutes ago, semioclasm said:

Longtime lurker, first time poster, but I just got my first notification, and it was an acceptance to my top choice---SUNY Buffalo! I'm elated! This is all after I felt like I wasn't going to get in anywhere because I haven't heard from Madison or Chicago. 

35 minutes ago, jvvne said:

Congrats to all you Buffalo buffaloes buffaloing!

(I know that's not what the verb means, but don't take this from me, it brings me joy)