2018 Acceptances

3 hours ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Thanks, Warelin! Do you know of any instances where schools in the CGS are able to opt out of their agreement? Can they pull the old switcheroo? 

I've heard stories of schools trying to bend some of the rules in CGS by wanting an earlier response. In every case I've heard, every student who has requested an extension to make a decision has been given until April 15 to make their final decision. Any school that signed and expects an earlier decision is in direct violation of the resolution. I think part of it is that they're hoping to see who's interested and to try to get all offers are out before April 15 so they have a shot of forming the "best" class that they can. Rushing decisions can lead to uninformed decisions though. 

I was looking over my original school list from the last cycle I applied to. Most schools on that list weren't included in my new list. And there are certain schools that I applied to during this cycle that are now near the top of schools I prefer where they originally were towards the bottom. They're all great schools but as I learn more, I realize there are certain things which does change the order in which I view them. Some people may view my negatives and positives and vice-versa. My thoughts would most likely be different if schools gave instant decisions on day of application. The April 15th really does allow us the time to make the most informed decisions we can presuming that we're only comparing a few schools at a time. 

While the official deadline is April 15th, it may be wise to reject offers you're not as interested in. A school you may reject may be someone else's dream school.  If they accept, that might turn another person's waitlist into an acceptance. And that person may turn down your dream program. Without April 15th, I imagine this process would take a lot longer. Waiting until April 15th is also tricky because most people would've accepted an offer by then so waitlists after that may have to dig deep into their waitlist.

51 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

There's another TAMU acceptance up--congrats to that person! Idk if said person is watching this threat, but I'd love to chat and see if you're planning on going to the visit in March!

@JustPoesieAlong Hi! maybe that's me you're talking about. Congratulations on your acceptance! It's a great relief, and though I have a long list of schools I'm still waiting to hear back from, one of my most wanted(?) professors are at TAMU, so it's a great start for me. 

I'd really like to go to the March event, but I live so so far away, I don't think I can afford it (money and time) even with the aid. Do you plan to go? 

5 minutes ago, Mise said:

@JustPoesieAlong Hi! maybe that's me you're talking about. Congratulations on your acceptance! It's a great relief, and though I have a long list of schools I'm still waiting to hear back from, one of my most wanted(?) professors are at TAMU, so it's a great start for me. 

I'd really like to go to the March event, but I live so so far away, I don't think I can afford it (money and time) even with the aid. Do you plan to go? 

Congrats!
Edited by Warelin

@Mise Congratulations! I'm waiting on several schools too. It looks like it might be fairly reasonable for me to fly, so I'm thinking I'd like to try and swing it. However, I am really limited in vacation time with my work, so if I go to that one I might not get to go to others if I were to be invited. 

If you don't mind me asking, what is your area of study? (Feel free to PM, if you'd like)

@JustPoesieAlong I hope you get contact from other schools in the couple weeks to come. It must be really hard to make schedules work when you're working.

My field is Victorian novels, and I try to make connections between the novel form and context. I see that you work on Early Modern Literature!

1 hour ago, katie64 said:

Does anyone have access to some secret statistics that give acceptance rates of these programs? I haven't been able to find any, except for two schools who state so on their websites. 

I think it tends to be pretty hearsay / based on email rejections. If I recall correctly, Penn said they had 750 applicants last year? Which seems... wrong. 

1 hour ago, FreakyFoucault said:

I'd buy 750 applicants only if Penn was offering 10,000 bitcoins and 50 pounds of gold to each accepted student. 

Oh, I agree. Does anyone else who applied remember what they said the number was? I could have *sworn* it was that high, because I remember thinking that they must have factored in MA applicants too. 

I think UCLA is rumored to get around 250-300? Gosh, now I’m wondering if I fever-dreamed these stats

2 hours ago, katie64 said:

Does anyone have access to some secret statistics that give acceptance rates of these programs? I haven't been able to find any, except for two schools who state so on their websites. 

This thread from a few years ago has a list of compiled acceptance rates. Not sure how consistent it will be with this year's results, or if there is a more recently updated list:

35 minutes ago, villanelle said:

This thread from a few years ago has a list of compiled acceptance rates. Not sure how consistent it will be with this year's results, or if there is a more recently updated list:

Ack, thank you! 

10 hours ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Accepted to SUNY-Buffalo. Got an email from the grad school - department email forthcoming. 

Congratulations!! You're having such a great run!

9 hours ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Accepted to Texas A&M and nominated for a university fellowship. :)

Yes!!! I'm so happy for you! Congrats!!

And congratulations to @semioclasm, @jvvne, and anyone else I've missed. Looks like it was a good day for a lot of folks around here. 

Sorry for the double post, but a question just occurred to me: the schools I've been accepted to wanted my official transcripts after admittance. Do I send transcripts to both schools, or wait until I know which offer I'm going to accept? 

I got accepted into the Ph.D. program in English at TAMU with a funding offer, and I'm still shaking with joy! This is the first acceptance offer I've received so far. I got one rejection and still haven't heard from most of the schools I've applied to, so I need some more time before making a decision, but TAMU is definitely one of my top choices. 

Has anyone already written a reply to the director of graduate studies (not necessarily TAMU but in general) and thanked her/him for the acceptance before deciding whether to attend the school or not? I'm thinking about writing a thank you email, though I'm not sure whether or not it is standard to do so. I think I should anyway since I noticed that they mistakenly thought that a part of my first name to be my middle name (because there's a space between the two parts) and omitted that part. I should probably write and let them know about this problem. Sorry, I'm rambling and almost started talking to myself. I think part of me still can't believe this really happened and has this irrational fear of my acceptance being revoked if I don't immediately accept the offer. I guess I need to calm down first. I'm too happy to do that, though! 

Edited by littlemy
spacing

20 minutes ago, littlemy said:

I got accepted into the Ph.D. program in English at TAMU with a funding offer, and I'm still shaking with joy! This is the first acceptance offer I've received so far. I got one rejection and still haven't heard from most of the schools I've applied to, so I need some more time before making a decision, but TAMU is definitely one of my top choices. 

Has anyone already written a reply to the director of graduate studies (not necessarily TAMU but in general) and thanked her/him for the acceptance before deciding whether to attend the school or not? I'm thinking about writing a thank you email, though I'm not sure whether or not it is standard to do so. I think I should anyway since I noticed that they mistakenly thought that a part of my first name to be my middle name (because there's a space between the two parts) and omitted that part. I should probably write and let them know about this problem. Sorry, I'm rambling and almost started talking to myself. I think part of me still can't believe this really happened and has this irrational fear of my acceptance being revoked if I don't immediately accept the offer. I guess I need to calm down first. I'm too happy to do that, though! 

I emailed back with what boils down to a thanks for the update/look forward to any developments on my waitlist email.

Feels weird not responding.

Also, congrats on TAMU. It’s an odd place, but I know many folks that are quite fond of it.

Edited by CulturalCriminal

9 minutes ago, CulturalCriminal said:

I emailed back with what boils down to a thanks for the update/look forward to any developments on my waitlist email.

Feels weird not responding.

Also, congrats on TAMU. It’s an odd place, but I know many folks that are quite fond of it.

Thank you!

By the way, could you tell me about what you mean by odd? Just curious to know! Since I'm an international student, every bit of information is precious!

3 hours ago, bumbleblu said:

Sorry for the double post, but a question just occurred to me: the schools I've been accepted to wanted my official transcripts after admittance. Do I send transcripts to both schools, or wait until I know which offer I'm going to accept? 

When I was doing my MA I waited until I accepted. I think that’s probably okay/standard, especially if you have to pay for officials transcripts. 

4 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

When I was doing my MA I waited until I accepted. I think that’s probably okay/standard, especially if you have to pay for officials transcripts. 

Ok, this is what I was thinking. I guess if someone contacts me about it, I'll send em out sooner. Thanks!

4 hours ago, littlemy said:

Definitely write a thank you e-mail back in the case of an acceptance or a waitlist.  It lets the administration know you've received the decision.  Something as simple as, "That's wonderful news!  Thank you!  Please let me know if you need anything from me."  They know that you're probably waiting for all of your offers to come in and they definitely know that you have until April 15 to make a decision.

I have one question about what happens after an acceptance. So if you receive the good news via phone call, how long does it usually take for the school to send you an official letter of acceptance (they do this, right?) and also further instructions on what to do next? I haven't heard back after that phone call, and now my brain is telling me what if they got it wrong and I wasn't supposed to get accepted after all....... Probably just being paranoid, but I'll breathe a little easier when there's some real official proof to cling to.