2018 Acceptances

21 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Just got word that I will be awarded a fellowship from TAMU! I think it's a pretty swell offer. I'm trying not to get super sentimental, but Texas is my home state and I'm feeling drawn to the idea of going home...:wub:

Yay, Texas! Congratulations!

1 hour ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Wow, congrats to all the UT acceptances! I live in Austin right now and can confirm that this city does, in fact, rule.

I might PM you about Austin if that's okay. I have so many questions about the city. You've gotten me 50000x more excited, though!

6 hours ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Just got word that I will be awarded a fellowship from TAMU! I think it's a pretty swell offer. I'm trying not to get super sentimental, but Texas is my home state and I'm feeling drawn to the idea of going home...:wub:

Congratulations on your fellowship!! 

6 hours ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Many congratulations!! I totally get the desire to go back home. Do you still have family there? And awesome on getting the fellowship!!

Hey I'm asking this for my fiancee who is applying to Enligsh/Literature programs - I've seen a few acceptances to University of Massachusetts Amherst (both on this post and on the results area) and am wondering if any of you all know if they will still be sending out acceptances today/early next week or if waitlist notifications might be next maybe? We've yet to hear anything there (for both his program and my program I applied to there) and are starting to think that school might be out.

Also are waitlists pretty much standard for any program?

Congrats to all those who have been accepted to places so far!

@FishNerd, The grad director told me on Wednesday that she was sending out a couple of acceptances that day, I am not sure if that means that all the acceptances are out, but probably they are. In the past, I have seen UMass sending out waitlist emails, in phases after they send out acceptance emails.They have accepted 10 people this year and I know five people, including myself who have already received an acceptance from UMass. Sorry that I could not be the bearer of good news. 

Here's hoping that both of you receive good news soon. All the best!

27 minutes ago, FishNerd said:

Also are waitlists pretty much standard for any program?

Unfortunately, that is really dependent on the program. Some programs only send out as many acceptances as they can afford their class size to be. As a result, their waitlist may move faster. Some programs send out more acceptances than they think their target size class will be. It might be that 2 people need to reject an offer before they move on to the waitlist. As a result, sometimes there is no movement is seen on the waitlist but a different subfield might see a lot of movement.

@OceansAreBlue Thanks for the info! I kinda figured as much so it is really just a relief to know that school is likely off the table (even though any rejection is going to hurt of course but I guess we don't know if waitlists might happen or not). Congrats on your acceptance!

I know unofficially that I've been accepted at one of my schools since my POI has been emailing me about recruitment weekend dates and he also let me know a couple days ago that I've been nominated for a competitive higher paying fellowship. Now here's to hoping my fiancee hears something good from that school soon!

3 minutes ago, FishNerd said:

he also let me know a couple days ago that I've been nominated for a competitive higher paying fellowship. Now here's to hoping my fiancee hears something good from that school soon!

Wooow! You're one of their favs' if he's been emailing you and letting you know about all this info. They might be scared you're going to accept another offer! haha

@Warelin Thanks for the info - I honestly didn't really know waitlists were a thing until I started lurking on here.

@Yanaka Yeah I think my POI really wants me in his lab by how communicative he has been with me, which is super flattering and will definitely influence decision making over the next couple months!