2018 Acceptances

2 minutes ago, klader said:

Hi, all! I've been away from the forums, but I'm back to announce that this morning I got a call and was admitted to the University of Michigan's Joint PhD program in English and Education!!! And, also, yesterday I received an invitation to Purdue University's student recruitment event for the English department... But I haven't been accepted or anything yet? 

Niiiiiiice!!! Congrats!!!!!! 

9 minutes ago, klader said:

Hi, all! I've been away from the forums, but I'm back to announce that this morning I got a call and was admitted to the University of Michigan's Joint PhD program in English and Education!!! And, also, yesterday I received an invitation to Purdue University's student recruitment event for the English department... But I haven't been accepted or anything yet? 

Has anyone else been invited to the Purdue prospective student event? I apologize, because I have not been keeping up with the forums.

Congrats! :)

19 minutes ago, katie64 said:

Makes me a little nervous I didn't get an invite to the Purdue prospective student weekend...they are one of my top choices. I'm an MA applicant though, not PhD, so maybe that's why? 

Yes, that could be why, but also- don’t stress too much about Purdue. They do their acceptances different than most schools so “no news” for a while isn’t necessarily a rejection. 

Yeah, I have no idea what's going on with Purdue!! I got an email from the DGS (not the director of my specific program), and she could not tell me whether I was accepted or not, but that they wanted me to "be aware" of the recruitment event. 

The prospective student weekend is on Feb 19 and 20 this year. So, they may have been wanting to invite people earlier than notifications can go out, since it's so close???

No idea. I am anxiously waiting for more information.

Edited by klader

Sorry to spam this entire forum with my unhealthy Duke Literature obsession, but I just got an email response from the DGS informing me that I'm on the waitlist!!!!!!! Not exactly the news I was hoping for, and I know my chances of getting in off that list are low (but not zero--it's happened before!), but the dream is alive.

@Mellowyellow

3 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Sorry to spam this entire forum with my unhealthy Duke Literature obsession, but I just got an email response from the DGS informing me that I'm on the waitlist!!!!!!! Not exactly the news I was hoping for, and I know my chances of getting in off that list are low (but not zero--it's happened before!), but the dream is alive.

Congrats, Crow T.!!! :D:D I'll be crossing my fingers / conducting sacrificial rituals to lead others away and you in! 

14 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

@Mellowyellow

You're not spamming! Congratulations! That's awesome news. And remember: GradCafe doesn't capture all waitlists so that number that get admitted after a waitlist is most likely higher at most programs than GC captures. :)

7 hours ago, Crow T. Robot said:

I am late to this party, but..... I also got accepted to Rice!! Couldn't return the DGS's call since I was at work and almost nobody in my office knows I'm applying to PhD programs... but I am very excited! I've visited Rice before for a grad symposium and I adore their department.

Congratulations fellow grain! I've never been to their campus (or Houston). Do you think you'll attend the Welcome Weekend in March?

33 minutes ago, klader said:

Well, this has been an incredible 15 hours -- just got invited for a phone interview for Syracuse's PhD in Composition and Cultural Rhetoric!!!

Congrats! You have some tough decisions ahead of you!

4 hours ago, klader said:

Well, this has been an incredible 15 hours -- just got invited for a phone interview for Syracuse's PhD in Composition and Cultural Rhetoric!!!

I got an email to set up a phone interview too! This is my first piece of "good" news, but I'm also aware of the fact that there have only been four "accepted" posts on the results board in the last 10 years.

Each year, I think they only accept 4.  

56 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

I got an email to set up a phone interview too! This is my first piece of "good" news, but I'm also aware of the fact that there have only been four "accepted" posts on the results board in the last 10 years.

Each year, I think they only accept 4.  

Oh snap! Do those acceptances come after the interviews, I wonder/assume?

27 minutes ago, klader said:

Oh snap! Do those acceptances come after the interviews, I wonder/assume?

Based off the results page, it seems Syracuse decides on whether or not the person gets accepted or waitlisted. 

@klader: I assume that the interviews help them determine who they are going to accept? 

Also, I put together a list of the number of current CCR students: 

1st year: 4
2nd year: 5
3rd year: 3
4th year: 0 (expected graduation year) 
5th year: 1
ABD: 11

They have really small cohorts. 

20 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

@klader: I assume that the interviews help them determine who they are going to accept? 

Also, I put together a list of the number of current CCR students: 

1st year: 4
2nd year: 5
3rd year: 3
4th year: 0 (expected graduation year) 
5th year: 1
ABD: 11

They have really small cohorts. 

Oh, man!! Especially because they are an independent writing department (so, no other grad students from lit or something hanging around). 

I saw on the website that they aim to enroll 4-6 students per year. 

I wonder how many they are interviewing?