2018 Acceptances

There's a rejection reported from University of Tennessee for PhD, but I haven't heard from them for my MA application. Is it common to send rejections before acceptances? Or to address PhD first, then fill in open spots with MA offers?

6 minutes ago, Cotton Joe said:

There's a rejection reported from University of Tennessee for PhD, but I haven't heard from them for my MA application. Is it common to send rejections before acceptances? Or to address PhD first, then fill in open spots with MA offers?

We talked about it over on page 10 of the "Projected Acceptances" thread. The PhD deadline was a month and a half before the MA deadline, so it makes sense that acceptances/rejections go out earlier. Also, one person noted that historically UTK sends out a wave of PhD rejections first. 

Just got an acceptance from Minnesota Comparative Literature! I applied to the CSDS program in the same department, but I had a lovely phone conversation with the DGS where she recommended I switch to Comp Lit. My first acceptance--I'm overwhelmed!

The pain from Chicago is healing.

Congrats to all who've heard good news lately! And to those who are still waiting, hang in there because it's still early and I believe in all of you! My first news last year was a rejection from Duke, which pretty much ruined my day and a few days after that but I got an acceptance from Wisconsin shortly after the Duke rejection and now I am happily settled in the PhD program here at Madison. If any Wisconsin admits want to talk about the program with me, feel free to send a PM! I know the department sent out most of their acceptances today so just let me know if someone wants to talk Wisco with me. :) Best of luck to everyone who's still waiting for news - this is the worst part but hopefully after you'll all get to do the fun and exciting job of flying out to programs and deciding where you want to spend the next few years!

1 hour ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Just got an acceptance from Minnesota Comparative Literature! I applied to the CSDS program in the same department, but I had a lovely phone conversation with the DGS where she recommended I switch to Comp Lit. My first acceptance--I'm overwhelmed!

The pain from Chicago is healing.

Congrats.  I did my undergrad at UMN English.  My interactions with CSCL were limited but all positive!  It may please you to know that one of my grad instructors from that dept. interviewed for and received a tenure track job during the course of the class I was taking from him.  Minneapolis is a wonderful city, though I'm a bit biased having been born and raised in the area.  However, Prince once told Oprah that he would never move away from Minnesota because "the cold keeps all of the jerks away."  Good luck with the rest of the process.

Also, as you probably know, you would be living a stonesthrow from the birthplace of your namesake! 

Edited by jrockford27

Hello everyone. First post (have been following since the thread opened though). Received an e-mail from the Student Affairs Officer for Comparative Literature at Stanford inviting me to an on-campus interview in early March. First response - I am really excited. 

Edited by id_ot

3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Chicago Q: Got the initial tentative email last week, but did not get the follow-up one today, so no interview for me. What does it mean?!

Tentative email?

53 minutes ago, id_ot said:

Hello everyone. First post (have been following since the thread opened though). Received an e-mail from the Student Affairs Officer for Comparative Literature at Stanford inviting me to an on-campus interview in early March. First response - I am really excited. 

Can you provide some more info? Like when, are more emails being sent, what your specialty is? I also applied to comp lit there.