2018 Acceptances

18 hours ago, Warelin said:

Schools often notify special fellowship winners before they notify other people of their acceptances. As far as I know though, Harvard has always funded everyone equally. 

ETA: This isn't the first case of Harvard notifying by phone.  It seems like one's POI can call an applicant first. This could be followed by a letter from the DGS. Based on that, e-mails can go out as early as next week. Harvard and Yale have also usually notified a day apart so it would be interesting to see if Yale will notify soon as well. Lots of admission decisions have come in early this cycle. We may be looking at early decisions from all schools. :)

I am off GC for one day and this board is on fire!! The fact that you used the "Y" word just gave me heart palpitations- already???

Congrats to all on recent activity!!

23 hours ago, Warelin said:

ACCEPTED TO ILLINOIS AND NOMINATED FOR A FELLOWSHIP!

YESSSSSSS oh goodness!!!!! You deserve this SO MUCH! After all your help here, and your help there on the other side of the computer.... I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU

14 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Woah. I didn't even apply there, and seeing that on the results board got me anxious! Congrats and good luck to the interviewee!

Yes, congrats! Looks like there are two now! 

Fingers-crossed as "this is [definitely] not a drill"!!

14 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Holy shit, Chicago interviewees! When do those of us who haven’t heard anything take this is as a definiteimpliedimplicit rejection? Congrats to those who got in! PLEase come and share the experience!

Probably safe to cross them off if no e-mail arrives today. :(

4 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Whoa, congrats to Chicago interviewees!!!!! Any clue whether the email notifications are staggered throughout the day, or whether they all got sent out at once and that's it?

I'm still holding out a bit of hope that they didn't do the 'tentative interview request' email this time, and instead just sent out actual interview requests that would possibly have been sent one by one/personally, rather than a mass mailing.

2 minutes ago, punctilious said:

I'm still holding out a bit of hope that they didn't do the 'tentative interview request' email this time, and instead just sent out actual interview requests that would possibly have been sent one by one/personally, rather than a mass mailing.

I like that theory! And my last name is in the back half of the alphabet, so there's that........ 

16 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Or maybe the person that's assigned to e-mail you is on a lunch break? It's only 1:00 in Chicago. :) 

Positive thoughts.

I'm still holding onto a shred of hope -- Congrats to those who have gotten interview requests already! I would love to hear more about the email/request/entire situation to maybe shed light on some of our theories! 

7 minutes ago, hibiscus said:

Congrats to the interviewees. Feeling a spiral of negative thoughts and terrible about my entire app now I didn't get one. Melodramatic I know. I have a very fragile ego.

Yeah I feel all of my congrats are/will be genuine but also manic. like CONGRATS FOR U I AM THE WORST HAHAH

As I didn't apply to Chicago, I can actually say congrats here without hating myself!

I mean, it certainly doesn't look good and doesn't feel good. This being the first response makes me question whether I aimed way too high and should have rethought the whole process, but I guess it is still uncertain and even if it is a rejection there are still other schools on the horizon. Of course, this also means that I am going to go through this emotional rollercoaster 17 more times.

10 minutes ago, hibiscus said:

Feeling a spiral of negative thoughts and terrible about my entire app now I didn't get one.

Lord, yes. I felt this after the Emory interviews went out. 

4 minutes ago, unicornsarereal said:

like CONGRATS FOR U I AM THE WORST HAHAH

Lol! I think this describes all congrats I give on here. The emotions generated by this thread are chaotic. 

3 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

This being the first response makes me question whether I aimed way too high and should have rethought the whole process, but I guess it is still uncertain and even if it is a rejection there are still other schools on the horizon.

I think it's worth remembering that just because one may not fit in University X, it's not a necessary indication that one won't fit in University Y. There are so many variables of which, by necessity, we're unaware, so I wouldn't count yourself out just yet, @WildeThing. I had a friend one cycle that got rejected by 15/16 schools, but the one that did accept him was his first choice. I imagine this isn't too comforting, but still, have faith!

52 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

I think it's worth remembering that just because one may not fit in University X, it's not a necessary indication that one won't fit in University Y. There are so many variables of which, by necessity, we're unaware, so I wouldn't count yourself out just yet, @WildeThing. I had a friend one cycle that got rejected by 15/16 schools, but the one that did accept him was his first choice. I imagine this isn't too comforting, but still, have faith!

Totally true, but don't you come over here with your logic unless your logic comes with honey-mustard sauce so I can stress-eat it.

I tend to serve my logic with equal portions of Sweet Baby Ray's and Jack Daniels. This could explain why >90% of the things I say are stupid but sweet. 

Also, I'm out of reactions for the day, @WildeThing, so you'll just have to wait till tomorrow! 

Edited by FreakyFoucault