Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Medievalmaniac

SOP mistakes: what to avoid

133 posts in this topic

This topic is awesome. Too bad I thought to read just a few days before my first deadline, though! 

Sorry for re-posting. Does anybody know if I can use an image in my SOP? An illustration (a painting, to be more specific) right at the beginning, as to "set the mood". Thanks!

19 hours ago, Yanaka said:

Sorry for re-posting. Does anybody know if I can use an image in my SOP? An illustration (a painting, to be more specific) right at the beginning, as to "set the mood". Thanks!

I saw a thread somewhere about this. A short answer is no, don't risk it, keep it professional.

On 28/11/2016 at 7:08 AM, day_manderly said:

I saw a thread somewhere about this. A short answer is no, don't risk it, keep it professional.

Thanks a lot. Is there a topic somewhere about CVs, too? Because I didn't find any with the "search" tool.

As an undergrad (and French, on top of it), I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should use essay topics I worked on. I'm worried leaving my CV empty on that matter will harm me...

1 minute ago, Yanaka said:

Thanks a lot. Is there a topic somewhere about CVs, too? Because I didn't find any with the "search" tool.

As an undergrad (and French, on top of it), I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should use essay topics I worked on. I'm worried leaving my CV empty on that matter will harm me...

Haven't seen it... I've included everything relevant (like, really everything, including my competitive running hobby :) )

1 minute ago, Yanaka said:

Thanks @day_manderly! My CV should be 2 to 3 pages long, I've really kept what only seemed relevant... Hope it's fine :( 

You can check the sample here or just look around if you are not sure... I think I had the file of my CV opened since like March, and I would add/change something regularly... Whoops, this thread is not about CVs. :/

Yes I know. Sorry for going off-topic. Maybe I should open a new thread :D