SOP mistakes: what to avoid

Hi everyone.

I'll apply to MA in Music Theory in Canada but my previous education is pretty different. My undergraduate was Electronics Engineering and after that, I've finished another MMus in my home country (Turkey). The problem is, I'm not sure how much of this I have to mention in my SoP. Should I adress why I'm applying to a Masters level program once again, or how and why I switched from engineering to music.

These issues can take up a lot of space in my SoP and from what I read in the forums I understand that the general consensus is to focus on what you are planning to study and do in the program that you're applying to. So I'm not sure about how much of my education history that I need to adress in my SoP? Is it important to explain your educational background in detail?

• 3 months later...

Sorry for re-posting. Does anybody know if I can use an image in my SOP? An illustration (a painting, to be more specific) right at the beginning, as to "set the mood". Thanks!

19 hours ago, Yanaka said:

Sorry for re-posting. Does anybody know if I can use an image in my SOP? An illustration (a painting, to be more specific) right at the beginning, as to "set the mood". Thanks!

I saw a thread somewhere about this. A short answer is no, don't risk it, keep it professional.

On 28/11/2016 at 7:08 AM, day_manderly said:

I saw a thread somewhere about this. A short answer is no, don't risk it, keep it professional.

Thanks a lot. Is there a topic somewhere about CVs, too? Because I didn't find any with the "search" tool.

As an undergrad (and French, on top of it), I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should use essay topics I worked on. I'm worried leaving my CV empty on that matter will harm me...

1 minute ago, Yanaka said:

Thanks a lot. Is there a topic somewhere about CVs, too? Because I didn't find any with the "search" tool.

As an undergrad (and French, on top of it), I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should use essay topics I worked on. I'm worried leaving my CV empty on that matter will harm me...

Haven't seen it... I've included everything relevant (like, really everything, including my competitive running hobby :) )

1 minute ago, Yanaka said:

Thanks @day_manderly! My CV should be 2 to 3 pages long, I've really kept what only seemed relevant... Hope it's fine :( 

You can check the sample here or just look around if you are not sure... I think I had the file of my CV opened since like March, and I would add/change something regularly... Whoops, this thread is not about CVs. :/

• 8 months later...
48 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

If you plan to study out-of-province in order to bring a specific expertise back to your hometown (meaning, you would move back to where you are originally from), is that something you can mention? 

Yes, I don't see why not. 

Hi everyone,

There's a lot of excellent advice on this thread about SOPs. As an international student it's a pretty daunting task to apply to an MA program in a foreign University, especially when I'm doing it straight out of undergrad.

And my question was about that. How much of a disadvantage do you think are undergrads applying to MA programs in competition with those who may be older and have more work experience? Is there anything that puts us at an advantage perhaps which can be highlighted in the SOP?

Also, mentioning the things I took away from a semester length foreign exchange program, would you consider its proper place in the SOP or in the CV?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello folks,

I'm quite new to this forum. I need little help with regards to SOP Preparation. I'm aiming to apply for Masters in Public Policy from a reputed University. In this regard, I would like to know if there is someone who could evaluate my SOP and provide me with comments so that I can refine further.

Any web links which can help me in this cause may also be forwarded.

Thanx in advance. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone who applied to graduate program in the UK:

I have some questions regarding SOP............deadlines are coming up and I am PANICKING

1. Did you double space your SOP?

2. Did you mention a particular staff member or course that you are interested in?

• 2 years later...

I am starting to think one of the biggest mistakes we make with writing PSs/SOPs is we pick life events or a narrative structure to use as the centerpiece of our essays, and then try to sprinkle in the points we are trying to make around those.

It's not exactly rocket science, but I read an interesting piece about FIRST PICKING the personal/professional attributes you want to demonstrate as the centerpiece of the essay and THEN picking the anecdotes to use around those attributes

https://www.graduateadmissionsinsight.com/post/the-art-and-science-of-personal-statement-writing-part-1

I know this makes sense when you think of it, but I realized that I never have planned so deliberately what characteristics I am trying to demonstrate, I've been WAY too general. 

• 2 months later...

When I first began writing my SOP, I didn't really know how to structure it or even what to write. I looked at some samples and that helped. One sample began with stating outright what your "purpose" is: "I am applying to a PhD program in X at Y because Z." My mentor/advisor told me that the admissions committee already know that you're applying to that program, and since they're reading hundreds of them, it would be better to start with something interesting. He suggested that I start with a quote (based on a primary source used for my MA thesis), and then introduce/connect my research interests based on that quote. It definitely sounds better than the straight forward approach, IMO.

I wonder what everyone's opinions are on ways to start a SOP.

P.S. My advisor is about two years out of a PhD, and he became an assistant professor right after finishing his PhD. He is young, so I feel like his advice is the best I can get, for me, since I'm following his path. However, that's not to say that other professors with more traditional approaches or advice aren't helpful. I'm open to everyone's input!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2020 at 1:36 PM, HopefulPsych2020 said:

Does anyone know if one should avoid saying a program is the only one their applying to?

Yes, because it is not relevant.  Ideally your SOP will be structured in such a way that readers are given the sense it was intended for them and should they extend an offer you would accept.