Someone is reading my application right now

DBear

I'm pretty convinced that all my applications are in the trash already. The last two deadlines are on the 15th, though my application was done over a month ago. This probably means that the last two applications I submitted will join their brethren in application heaven... 

I have found that the only thing that really helped keep my mind off things this past month was being immensely ill. Being busy with work, hanging out with friends, none of that really helped :( Hope everyone is surviving. 

Wonder if @clarwyn's family is still packed and ready to go without a destination still...

35 minutes ago, DBear said:

I'm pretty convinced that all my applications are in the trash already. The last two deadlines are on the 15th, though my application was done over a month ago. This probably means that the last two applications I submitted will join their brethren in application heaven... 

Don't say that! I know how the waiting game can suck out every last ounce of hope from your system, because I too am a victim. But you need to stay positive until March, atleast. Atleast that's what I am trying to do..

42 minutes ago, DBear said:

I have found that the only thing that really helped keep my mind off things this past month was being immensely ill. Being busy with work, hanging out with friends, none of that really helped :( Hope everyone is surviving. 

Wonder if @clarwyn's family is still packed and ready to go without a destination still...

Hang in there! It's still early!

Most of my application went to trash too, 9 out of 10 to be precise. The only interview I have have about 30% post interview acceptance rate, too so I can't even be relieved yet. So I totally get how you are feeling now.

Just keep waiting and good things will happen.

16 hours ago, DBear said:

Don't be too stressed. It's normal to wait during this month. Results from previous years really help determine the time span of when the admissions will come. For my field it's from February to April, so I don't expect any news until early February. No sweat, just enjoy the spring festival.

16 hours ago, cmykrgb said:

Most of my application went to trash too, 9 out of 10 to be precise. The only interview I have have about 30% post interview acceptance rate, too so I can't even be relieved yet. So I totally get how you are feeling now.

Just keep waiting and good things will happen.

I was sure like you when I received no interview invitation for a whole month. And then I received an early admission to a program whose deadline is February 1st without hearing from them except an email telling me that they have received my application. So don't panic, the good news will come.

On 12/31/2016 at 8:08 AM, nanthini said:

@DBearNot pocket Yocket* autocorrect failed me!

https://yocket.in and http://www.edulix.com are sites that I usually stalk! :P

I'm losing my mind waiting for these results!

Those sites seem very specific to technologically-oriented majors and more specific to intended master's students than for PhD's. I haven't found anything other than this site that would allow me to stalk to my heart's content. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know.

Thanks all - venting does help! 

It is still early and all and I know that I only need that one (funded) acceptance - but knowing that the evaluation process is in full effect really doesn't help. 

Though I'm super-anxious, luckily the anxiety isn't debilitating and time is going by faster than I expected, so there's that.

Good luck keeping your marbles together, everyone!!

According to the programs I have applied to, the decisions are normally only released around early to mid March (Masters of Forestry), so now I am still all chill.

Not sure whether I will still be chill when March comes XD

43 minutes ago, Miss J said:

According to the programs I have applied to, the decisions are normally only released around early to mid March (Masters of Forestry), so now I am still all chill.

Not sure whether I will still be chill when March comes XD

Check this forum everyday instead of the application portals, and you'll find this to be more interesting. 

I have applied to Boston University, JHU, Drexel, Clemson and Stony Brook Computer Science program. Has anyone heard anything about these schools? Even from other programs?

1 hour ago, Panizir said:

I have applied to Boston University, JHU, Drexel, Clemson and Stony Brook Computer Science program. Has anyone heard anything about these schools? Even from other programs?

You may have already given this a browse, but this area (http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/33-computer-science/) may get you more of the insight you are looking for.

I seem to have found a good distraction - playing with friends' babies = freaking out that they're gonna get hurt instead of freaking out about people scrutinizing my SOP - hang in there everyone!!

I literally submitted my applications in the last two weeks so mentally I know that it will be at least a month from now before I hear anything but I just want to know. Right now I am finishing up undergrad and part of that is a capstone class. We are just talking about grad schools and what we need for them and it just sucks waiting. I hate the anticipation. I did get into my safety school but that's not where I want the yes from haha. 

On 1/17/2017 at 11:55 AM, Panizir said:

I applied to BU SED but their website said it would be about 6-8 weeks so I'll start worrying around March 8th just to be on the safe side

On 1/14/2017 at 0:39 PM, DBear said:

Just saw this; been avoiding the forum in an effort to try to keep myself thinking about anything but my apps. (tv helps.) Got my first rejection today. I only submitted four apps, now I'm wishing I'd done more. sigh... 

On 1/5/2017 at 10:35 PM, GeorgeC07 said:

@ruilinchI never bothered to find other applicants' info, but I did spend a whole lot of time in gathering information on the specific requests of every program and approximate dates when the results would come out. Turns out that in my area, the dates range from late January to early April, meaning that I've got more waiting ahead than I anticipated. Still, I always come up with new ways of torturing myself, so I no longer check the application status, just keeping an eye on the emails. I ordered a kindle today and finally I get to spend some time without worrying, at least not when I'm reading. Reading is healthy stuff, clears the mind. BTW I'm also Chinese, and to my knowledge, there're not so many Chinese on this forum.

Another Chinese here...waking up on the self-doubting side of my bed every day to have a routine panic attack. Already got one result (rejection) and five more results to come! I'm preparing myself for the worst--making plans about my second attempt of PhD application in this fall.

Fingers crossed...

(。ì _ í。)

@stereopticons What the!! That just sounds super condescending!

@Feanor Every single one of my applications has been pending or some variation of "under review" since Dec 5th. Even the one I already had an interview for has the same status. I'm beginning to think there's only 3 statuses: pending, accepted, and rejected :/ Has anyone seen anything in between (other than a lecture on the virtues of patience?!)

Lights up on a university office late at night. A weary professor stares at the stack of applications on her desk. She opens her top drawer, pulling out a half empty bottle of scotch and tops of her glass. 

Sitting down, she fingers the stack. "Let's see whose hopes and dreams I can destroy tonight.....Alan....you call that a personal statement Alan? Thanks for the application fee- now meet Mr. Papershredder. MUAHAHAHAAHAHA. And next victim..."

This is what I'm imagining.

13 minutes ago, GunningForGrad said:

Lights up on a university office late at night. A weary professor stares at the stack of applications on her desk. She opens her top drawer, pulling out a half empty bottle of scotch and tops of her glass. 

Sitting down, she fingers the stack. "Let's see whose hopes and dreams I can destroy tonight.....Alan....you call that a personal statement Alan? Thanks for the application fee- now meet Mr. Papershredder. MUAHAHAHAAHAHA. And next victim..."

This is what I'm imagining.

You and I must have some sort of psychic connection - that's pretty much the image I've had in my head.

Sometimes, the scene is a meeting room with a handful of bored looking professors all looking at applications together and chit-chatting and invariably, one professor says

"I don't know what kids these days are thinking, what is this? a diary entry? and you call this a GPA??" and there goes my application, into the wastepaper bin, waiting for the cleaning staff to take it to the recycling bin.