Waitlist Thread

hector549

38 minutes ago, matchamatcha said:

Minnesota waitlist.  They said it's an unranked waitlist.  I'm already doing better than last season lol :'(

Congrats! It's early in the season. Being told you're on a wait list is great news this early. I'd think wouldn't hear that they're waitlisted unless it is likely they might come off, so that hopes are not lifted without reason.

1 hour ago, Turretin said:

Congrats! It's early in the season. Being told you're on a wait list is great news this early. I'd think wouldn't hear that they're waitlisted unless it is likely they might come off, so that hopes are not lifted without reason.

Thanks.  I'm definitely wary (and weary) going into this season and getting my hopes up.  But it's certainly not the case that I received an outright rejection, so this at least makes me feel a bit better about my application dossier.  I do think UMN would be a great fit for me, so I'll just keep a small hope that someone accepted thinks it wouldn't be the best fit for them.

19 hours ago, matchamatcha said:

Thanks.  I'm definitely wary (and weary) going into this season and getting my hopes up.  But it's certainly not the case that I received an outright rejection, so this at least makes me feel a bit better about my application dossier.  I do think UMN would be a great fit for me, so I'll just keep a small hope that someone accepted thinks it wouldn't be the best fit for them.

I've applied to UMN twice and been rejected twice. Sucks, because Alan Love is so good and works on the exact stuff I work on. It's a cool department. Hope you hear back with some good news!

On 2/4/2017 at 1:15 PM, SamStone said:

I'm on the WL for UC-Berkeley! Very excited. Would love to go there.

On 2/4/2017 at 3:23 PM, SteveZissou said:

I can also claim a waitlist to UC Berkeley. Received a cordial email today saying there is a 'good chance to be offered admission' and inviting me out for a reimbursed visit to the department. Seems like there are quite a few on the WL from TGC. Congrats. Wonder how they order the list!

On 2/4/2017 at 3:29 PM, joshmyers said:

I received the same waitlist email from Berkeley. Fingers crossed!

Also on the waitlist! :)

Though, I am curious about what process they use to admit applicants off the waitlist?

Edited by Witsclaw
spacing.

On 2/4/2017 at 5:23 PM, SteveZissou said:

I can also claim a waitlist to UC Berkeley. Received a cordial email today saying there is a 'good chance to be offered admission' and inviting me out for a reimbursed visit to the department. Seems like there are quite a few on the WL from TGC. Congrats. Wonder how they order the list!

13 hours ago, Witsclaw said:

Also on the waitlist! :)

Though, I am curious about what process they use to admit applicants off the waitlist?

10 hours ago, joshmyers said:

I would imagine that it is constrained by AOI

I'd also imagine that its somehow ordered by AOI, but I wonder how strictly. Unless you heard from someone in the department, I think you can only speculate...It may be, for example, that have 4 or 5 waitlists grouped by specific areas; or they may have just 2 very broad lists. As far as my own interests go, I'm primarily into history (Kant and German, as well as 20th century), but also hope to work on philosophy of perception, and aesthetics/method. What are you all interested in?

In any case, I was surprised by the positive tone of the email—as SteveZissou also noted. I'd wondered if they were that positive to all on the WL, because if they were its hard to imagine that everyone on the WL has "a good chance to be offered admission," haha. 

Are any of you planning to visit the department in April? I'll definitely be visiting, and I'm excited to meet others who've been accepted/WL'd. 

Good luck! 

My email was also very positive, which I found surprising given that it seems like everyone received the same email. I am primarily interested in mind/cognitive science and epistemology. I am considering visiting but I don't want to commit yet because I know lots of grad school visits take place at around the same time.

@SamStone @joshmyers Yeah, I had the same curiosity about how strictly it was ordered. And I was surprised by the positivity too! A very encouraging email to say the least, haha.

I am primarily interested in metaphysics, philosophy of language, and social philosophy (esp. philosophy of gender).

I'm in a similar boat as @joshmyers - I am strongly considering it, but need to have a better idea of what's happening down the road (since I still have to hear back from 11 programs). Would absolutely love to visit though! :)

@joshmyers @Witsclaw @SamStone I feel the same way. Surely not everyone on the list stands a good chance of receiving an admission? We had seven WL reports on TGC alone, which makes me believe the list must be pretty sizeable. On the other hand, it is encouraging that they offered to reimburse us for a visit to the department. Maybe someone braver than me can make an inquiry to find out more. 

As far as interests go, I'm mainly interested in philosophy of mind, with some secondary interests in epistemology and early modern.

Edited by SteveZissou