Jump to content

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Clinapp2017 said:

True, implicit bias exists even in our field and maybe I am being too naive haha. :) That’s why we need more research in that area. I’m definitely interested in seeing research on if we have actually worse inhibition of our biases because we think we are not influenced by them. 

 

Also, as an edit/aside, I asked my fiancé (a social worker) to read this in an effort to better understand how I came off to you, and she told me that I was definitely mansplaining. She helped me understand more how this message was inappropriate (e.g., “take a deep breath,” Italian suit v women fashion comment) even though I meant it with the best of intentions. I sincerely do apologize for minimizing the unfair experiences of women in our field/other professional settings. 

 

I ultimately hope that what everyone finds to wear makes them feel comfortable and confident! You deserve to rock these interviews. :) 

Glad you're receptive! And your fiance sounds very wise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, hereistohoping said:

Does anyone have thoughts on a matching blazer/skirt combo as opposed to blazer and pants? 

I am wondering the same thing! From what I've heard so far, I don't think it matters so long as you still look professional, aka the skirt should at least be at your knees and not higher. I would also do a mirror test and see how your skirt looks at all angles + when you're sitting. I think I will wear a skirt, also because I'm 5'1" and slacks (even when tailored) make me look frumpy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ilobebrains said:

I am wondering the same thing! From what I've heard so far, I don't think it matters so long as you still look professional, aka the skirt should at least be at your knees and not higher. I would also do a mirror test and see how your skirt looks at all angles + when you're sitting. I think I will wear a skirt, also because I'm 5'1" and slacks (even when tailored) make me look frumpy. 

I wore a skirt/blazer combo and it was a-ok, especially since I followed the above tips. I didn't wear tights because my skirt was on the longer side (and it was HOT where I was interviewing) but that's an option too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was mentioned in passing earlier, and now I can't stop thinking about it (as with everything related to this process). 

I recently got engaged, and thus wear my engagement ring at all times. Is it not a good idea to wear my ring to interviews? I wouldn't take it off in any other context, but now I'm wondering if this is something I just haven't heard of as a young person who is only recently engaged. Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spookycat said:

This was mentioned in passing earlier, and now I can't stop thinking about it (as with everything related to this process). 

I recently got engaged, and thus wear my engagement ring at all times. Is it not a good idea to wear my ring to interviews? I wouldn't take it off in any other context, but now I'm wondering if this is something I just haven't heard of as a young person who is only recently engaged. Thoughts?

It definitely shouldn't matter but old-fashioned (sexist) advice would say not to wear it to avoid suggesting that you are too focused on your personal/family life, or making your interviewer wonder if you would take maternity leave at some point. It's garbage on multiple levels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, spookycat said:

This was mentioned in passing earlier, and now I can't stop thinking about it (as with everything related to this process). 

I recently got engaged, and thus wear my engagement ring at all times. Is it not a good idea to wear my ring to interviews? I wouldn't take it off in any other context, but now I'm wondering if this is something I just haven't heard of as a young person who is only recently engaged. Thoughts?

The way I see it is, would you really want to spend then next 5+ years at an institution that would frown upon their students having a work-life balance? There may absolutely be faculty who would hold your engagement ring as a negative factor. I can't imagine the other concerns students may have regarding work-life balance. Most students are at the age where getting engaged/married/having kids is normal so it really shouldn't be an issue. 

Congrats btw! It's such an exciting time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hk328 said:

The way I see it is, would you really want to spend then next 5+ years at an institution that would frown upon their students having a work-life balance? There may absolutely be faculty who would hold your engagement ring as a negative factor. I can't imagine the other concerns students may have regarding work-life balance. Most students are at the age where getting engaged/married/having kids is normal so it really shouldn't be an issue. 

Congrats btw! It's such an exciting time!

Thank you, I am completely over the moon - which is exactly why the thought of not wearing my ring is so sad to me! I don't want to pretend that I'm not engaged just to impress someone, thank you this is a very good insight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, spookycat said:

Thank you, I am completely over the moon - which is exactly why the thought of not wearing my ring is so sad to me! I don't want to pretend that I'm not engaged just to impress someone, thank you this is a very good insight!

I would agree with the above advice as well. I am married, and will certainly wear my rings to interviews.  The reality is, my husband is a very big part of my life and there is a good chance I will get pregnant at some point during my graduate career.  I don't want to be somewhere that is going to act ugly towards me when they find out I'm married or if I want to start a family. Show off that beautiful ring and find a school that is going to support YOU in both your personal and professional life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, spookycat said:

This was mentioned in passing earlier, and now I can't stop thinking about it (as with everything related to this process). 

I recently got engaged, and thus wear my engagement ring at all times. Is it not a good idea to wear my ring to interviews? I wouldn't take it off in any other context, but now I'm wondering if this is something I just haven't heard of as a young person who is only recently engaged. Thoughts?

You want to be authentic in your interviews.  You can choose to wear your ring or not, but almost certainly you're going to end up talking about your fiance at some point during the interview - to interviewers, fellow interviewees, or other grad students.  It's highly likely that if you actively avoid talking about him that you'll come across as awkward or reserved (or worse yet, hiding something) which won't give you interviewers a good idea of who you really are and could hurt your chances.  So, if I were in your shoes, I'd wear the ring and be yourself. (I'll be wearing mine for my interviews)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.