2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

6 hours ago, Philodoxia said:

My impression is that the Philosophy Department is strong in foundational epistemology and applied epistemology, early analytic philosophy (From Husserl to Wittgenstein), with specific strengths in (analytic) phenomenology (David Smith) and the epistemology of Moore and Wittgenstein (Coliva & Pritchard). But I am only confident in these assessments. It may display strengths in other areas, but I am not competent to judge that strength's intensity.

Thanks! I share your impression. The department is pretty strong in epistemology and history of analytic philosophy but its size seems relatively small.  

On 2/20/2018 at 3:09 PM, Neither Here Nor There said:

Is Loyola University Chicago over? I got a weird email the other day saying that the committee is still making decisions, which did not make sense since I've seen them on the results page. So I'm not sure if there is more to come, or if that was just an automated message since there was nothing on my file.

Also still nothing from Fordham. 

I just got waitlisted at Loyola Chicago today so it seems they are still sending things out.

I got accepted to University of Washington at Seattle and I'm one of the folks waitlisted at UC Davis (I'll be taking myself off that waitlist pretty soon with any luck).

I also know two folks who got accepted to UVA yesterday. All were by email.

p.s., for anyone that applied to Virginia Tech they were still reviewing files as of yesterday. We are also in the process of hiring (again) and last time we were hiring acceptances didn't get sent out until mid-March. With any luck things won't get delayed though! 

30 minutes ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

Who is the person who has gotten 9/10 acceptances and no waitlist or rejections. Holy Moly. What was your writing sample on?

I’m guessing that would be the legend that is @be. Am I right!? 

On 2/7/2018 at 6:38 PM, Zimmy64 said:

Got my first acceptance from NIU (M.A. program). 

I was also admitted to NIU! It looks like you and I were both part of the first wave of offers--I also received my offer on the 7th--which probably bodes well for our chances of receiving funding. I applied for an assistantship, of course, as well as an Under-Represented Minority Tuition Waiver. But I wish you luck on your other programs! I'm still awaiting decisions from three others, myself...

11 minutes ago, buffystrong said:

I was also admitted to NIU! It looks like you and I were both part of the first wave of offers--I also received my offer on the 7th--which probably bodes well for our chances of receiving funding. I applied for an assistantship, of course, as well as an Under-Represented Minority Tuition Waiver. But I wish you luck on your other programs! I'm still awaiting decisions from three others, myself...

Also admitted to NIU in the first wave and sent in my minority waiver/graduate assistantship form! It's looking more and more like that's where I go if I get funding...with all these implicit rejections hanging in the air.

13 minutes ago, SlumberingTrout said:

I was holding up well for the past 2 months, but I think I've hit my limit: Hearing nothing from any of the schools I've applied to has finally become intolerable.

Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted so far; Godspeed to everyone still waiting!

Don't worry, the end is near. Figure by the end of next week or so, most first passes of acceptances or rejections will be done, most waitlists will be solidified, and then it's again a waiting game til mid-April to see where people declined and positions open.  Look at it as you have a variable birthday every day for the next month and a half. Sometimes you get good presents, other times you get bad ones. LOL