2018 Results Megathread (Acceptances , Waitlists, Rejections)

2 hours ago, snoves said:

Accepted to SJSU today! Honestly thought after seeing the acceptances yesterday that I was screwed lol :)

Do you know any 3 year applicants have gotten any acceptance or rejection news from SJSU? The waiting really drives me nuts... :(

23 minutes ago, WeridoPeach said:

Do you know any 3 year applicants have gotten any acceptance or rejection news from SJSU? The waiting really drives me nuts... :(

I haven't heard if any have gotten acceptances/rejections, but it does seem like they're doing them in waves (I saw some people had already posted yesterday and honestly thought I didn't get in!) I wouldn't get discouraged yet, they're probably just sending them out over this (and possibly next) week! :)

13 hours ago, WeridoPeach said:

I am accepted into their 3-year EMA program. I received the acceptance email yesterday afternoon. 

20 hours ago, WeridoPeach said:

Thanks and congrats to your admission! I haven't heard anything from them so far so Im losing my hope now...   :unsure:

Thanks. Don't lose hope yet. I think they are sending out emails in waves. In the open house, they said they sometimes send out emails through June. 

1 hour ago, ready2beSLP said:

Congrats! You got into grad school!! When did your interview and are you likely to accept this offer?

Thank you! I believe so. The only thing that would change my mind would be getting off the waitlist at Pacific University  but I don't see that happening...

On 3/27/2018 at 7:33 AM, ready2beSLP said:

University of Redlands! I am really concerned about financial aid because I would have to use loans to pay for all $62k for Redlands. This is definitely a huge factor in choosing what school to attend. I'm from Chicago so I'm not concerned with the traffic (knowing it's a little worse)!

Just as babykoala pointed out, I am an IL resident so the State University Grant would not apply to me. :( This is why I would be concerned with getting licensed from IL to CA... We shall see. I know that Carbondale is a higher ranked program than Redlands according to US News. I'm leaning towards Carbondale now that I realized how many loans I would have to take if I attend Redlands. 

I saw this and I'm doing the opposite, lol! I'm from Redlands and visit regularly but will be moving to IL! Redlands is lovely, the city has an amazing feel that is unique in Southern California and that area. I hope you love it! Also , only one freeway through Redlands, so no real traffic~

I had a 3.85 GPA GRE- V:157, Q:160, AW: 4.5. ABA experience as an RBT, undergrad clinician experience, and study abroad experience 

Accepted: SDSU, Boulder, ASU, University of Arizona, UT Dallas (with funding), Northern Colorado (Dean's Scholarship), Northern Arizona

Waitlisted: CSULB

Denied: UW

Haven't made my decision yet!

On 3/27/2018 at 5:30 PM, snoves said:

Accepted to SJSU today! Honestly thought after seeing the acceptances yesterday that I was screwed lol :)

Congrats! Did you get your response via snail mail, email, or an update on the online student portal?

Edited by monicizzy

1 hour ago, monicizzy said:

Congrats! Did you get your response via snail mail, email, or an update on the online student portal?

Via email to my personal email! The portal still shows "refer to grad dept", so they must not update it until you accept the offer or something

On 4/4/2018 at 1:15 AM, snoves said:

Via email to my personal email! The portal still shows "refer to grad dept", so they must not update it until you accept the offer or something

Did you get an official acceptance letter from SJSU or have you just gotten the email so far? 

32 minutes ago, SLP-JC said:

Did you get an official acceptance letter from SJSU or have you just gotten the email so far? 

As far as I know just the e-mail. But I'm not sure if they've sent anything to my permanent address (I love on campus at my current institution).

2 hours ago, snoves said:

As far as I know just the e-mail. But I'm not sure if they've sent anything to my permanent address (I love on campus at my current institution).

Same! I only have the email so I didn't know if I was missing something. Congrats on getting in! :)

On 3/10/2018 at 5:01 AM, schmauds said:

Incredibly thankful for the option to decide among my top choices.  I hope that visiting the schools firsthand will nudge me toward a particular school :-)  Good luck!

Applied: UT Dallas, CSUF, SDSU, UW (MedSLP), MGH

Accepted Waitlisted Rejected

@schmauds I am deciding between UW (MedSLP) and MGH. Could you share with me your pro's and con's of these programs and which you are deciding to commit to?

On 4/10/2018 at 3:07 PM, sisinono said:

@schmauds I am deciding between UW (MedSLP) and MGH. Could you share with me your pro's and con's of these programs and which you are deciding to commit to?

Hi, I'm a little embarrassed to share that I still haven't made a decision.  As close to the deadline as we are, I am split between UW (Med) & SDSU.  Unfortunately, I didn't visit MGH's open house, but I can share what I learned from UW's!

UW PROS:

- research (the dept, as well as the school overall)

- developing emphasis on IPE & collaborative learning--esp among PT, OT, SLP, nursing, Aud (they started a new course for MedSLP students last year, but are building on it for upcoming years)

- higher # of off-campus placements (as opposed to other schools, which typically only have the one internship during spring qtr/semester)--I believe UW offers placements prior to this internship (I wish I could clarify on this point for you, but unfortunately, I'm a little unsure of the details)

- excellent reputation and relationships with hospitals all over the U.S.--not limited to the Seattle area.  This means that during spring semester of your 2nd year, you have the option to move states for your internship (although you'd return to finish the last summer quarter)

Of course, there are so many other influencing factors, but these are really the highlights of UW for me.  I'm sure that MGH also has incredible facilities and is surrounded by some of the best hospitals in the nation--as well as highly regarded institutions like MIT & Harvard; together they foster a highly collaborative research culture.  Despite the 'hospital' in its name, MGH is well-known for its literacy program--this is worth looking into, especially considering the growth and huge potential to improve literacy (especially in our professional field).

Really, my deciding factor to decline MGH's offer of admission came down to cost.  As I'm sure you already know, the program's tuition and the cost of living in Boston are remarkable.  Still, the students who are/have been in the program have gained incredible learning and clinical experience, and--let's be honest--the enjoyable city life that Boston offers.  Ultimately, I think that you will have a lot of great opportunities at either school, and I wish you the best in your decisions moving forward :-)