Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

3 minutes ago, gregs said:

@punctilious: just saw that and was going to ask, too. My gut tells me no, and that it’s a Comp Lit (or some other discipline) that was mis-entered. But maybe they did rejections first and everyone on this forum is accepted? 

Now wouldn’t that be swell! But you are probably right. Probably comp lit. As much as I want to believe...

1 hour ago, villanelle said:

I am already prepared to be shut out this round :(...

I feel this. All I've got to show for this round is a wait-list spot and vain hope that I'll hear back soon from my remaining program. Granted, I applied super-selectively within my area (partner has another year left on their degree).

2 hours ago, CulturalCriminal said:

I feel this. All I've got to show for this round is a wait-list spot and vain hope that I'll hear back soon from my remaining program. Granted, I applied super-selectively within my area (partner has another year left on their degree).

Yeah, I'm bracing for the same too.

40 minutes ago, more.truly.more.strange said:

I was actually pretty bummed about this one, because even though I know it's really competitive, it felt like a really good fit and I had an email exchange with my POI there. OH. WELL. moving on....

I'm bummed as well – mostly because I would've loved to study with Elisha Cohn and Jonathan Culler – but I'll live. I'm taking solace in the fact that we're wanted elsewhere :)

11 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

I'm bummed as well – mostly because I would've loved to study with Elisha Cohn and Jonathan Culler – but I'll live. I'm taking solace in the fact that we're wanted elsewhere :)

Same! (For Elisha Cohn) but as I said, moving on...

Edited by more.truly.more.strange

12 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Womp womp... with five acceptances on the board, I'm pretty sure Brown is a no-go. Disappointing, but hoping to hear good news from other schools this week!

Could be a waitlist? :)

I see someone posted a rejection.

3 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Could be a waitlist? :)

I see someone posted a rejection.

I saw that too, but my guess was that it was accidental/fluke. We haven't heard anything. But it's possible! I don't see any waitlist posts for Brown from previous years...

5 minutes ago, punctilious said:

I saw that too, but my guess was that it was accidental/fluke. We haven't heard anything. But it's possible! I don't see any waitlist posts for Brown from previous years...

found this on an old 2011 post: 

• Brown has finished making their decisions. Out of about 450 applications, Brown will be making 16 offers for a target class of 6.

3 minutes ago, Warelin said:

found this on an old 2011 post: 

• Brown has finished making their decisions. Out of about 450 applications, Brown will be making 16 offers for a target class of 6.

Hmmm so they might not have a waitlist at all? Or they have an invisible one.

3 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Hmmm so they might not have a waitlist at all? Or they have an invisible one.

It's possible that:
-The waitlist is invisible (and nobody knows until accepted)
-They have rolling admissions
-They only accept as many people as they can fund and will admit more as soon as someone rejects their offer.
-They accept more people than they expect so have no need for a waitlist.

While not common, there's at least one university which follows each format.

24 minutes ago, punctilious said:

The rejection has been posted by my sister who saw acceptances and has immediately come to the conclusion that she has been rejected.

4 minutes ago, OceansAreBlue said:

The rejection has been posted by my sister who saw acceptances and has immediately come to the conclusion that she has been rejected.

Lol really? And this is how we confuse both current applicants and future applicants who are looking at the board for information! :lol:

3 minutes ago, OceansAreBlue said:

I told her not to. But then she is so upset that she ended up doing that. Sorry, guys.

My husband is upset as well. I understand. It's tough to be in limbo expecting rejection. But, I suppose we should all expect that this process is most often not a kind one.

1 hour ago, punctilious said:

Womp womp... with five acceptances on the board, I'm pretty sure Brown is a no-go. Disappointing, but hoping to hear good news from other schools this week!

Not necessarily!  I just called the department and they told me that some acceptances have already gone out, but the rest will likely be sent out later today.

Edited by Elise Martorano
Typo

3 minutes ago, Elise Martorano said:

Not necessarily!  I just called the department and they told me that some acceptances have already gone out, but the rest will likely be sound out later today.

Really?? Eep! Well, there goes any possibility of getting more work done today...

I’m a lurker. I’ve applied to 11 programs. I’ve been told that I was an extremely strong candidate, yet all rejections so far. Not even a waitlist. What bothers me most is the demeanor of some people on these boards who have already been accepted to more than 1 school, yet they are complaining about rejections. Gratitude. Be thankful you have been accepted to ONE. I’m sure y’all don’t mean to sound that way - but that’s how it comes across.  Not a troll. A sad person, who will pick myself up and continue my pursuits. Best to you all and congrats to those who’ve been accepted. 

5 minutes ago, Fineanddandy said:

I’m a lurker. I’ve applied to 11 programs. I’ve been told that I was an extremely strong candidate, yet all rejections so far. Not even a waitlist. What bothers me most is the demeanor of some people on these boards who have already been accepted to more than 1 school, yet they are complaining about rejections. Gratitude. Be thankful you have been accepted to ONE. I’m sure y’all don’t mean to sound that way - but that’s how it comes across.  Not a troll. A sad person, who will pick myself up and continue my pursuits. Best to you all and congrats to those who’ve been accepted. 

Same here!  I'm a very strong candidate--great writing samples, awesome transcripts, very strong LOR's, 2 conferences, 3 languages, etc., and I've gotten 4 rejections.  I'm still waiting on 6 schools but I'm feeling very anxious and hopeless at the moment.  I would die of happiness to get into just ONE program.

6 minutes ago, Elise Martorano said:

Same here!  I'm a very strong candidate--great writing samples, awesome transcripts, very strong LOR's, 2 conferences, 3 languages, etc., and I've gotten 4 rejections.  I'm still waiting on 6 schools but I'm feeling very anxious and hopeless at the moment.  I would die of happiness to get into just ONE program.

I am really hoping for you and @Fineanddandy!!!

We are extremely thankful for our acceptance and waitlists. I think there should be a space for people without acceptances (yet!) to commiserate, because before we had any positive responses, we were also feeling down/lonely. But I do think it is important to have a thread where people are able note their rejections and express their disappointments even if they have other acceptances/waitlists.

With that said, I am so sorry you are in this situation, and I truly hope things turn around soon! I know there are a number of people applying this cycle who are here for round 2 or even 3 but have had success this time.