Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

5 hours ago, automatic said:

UVA is a rejection at this point, right? :( 

I'm taking it as a rejection but I did email Monday? or Tuesday? about the timeline on a decision and the DGS for English said they were in the process of finalizing decisions this week...it wasn't a 'we've noticed all candidates'. So maybe...but I'm not holding out much hope.

Edited by D13charlie

33 minutes ago, D13charlie said:

I'm taking it as a rejection but I did email Monday? or Tuesday? about the timeline on a decision and the DGS for English said they were in the process of finalizing decisions this week...it wasn't a 'we've noticed all candidates'. So maybe...but I'm not holding out much hope.

Thank you for doing that!! Did you send that after people started hearing they got in? Well, good luck to both of us...! 

On 2/20/2018 at 4:06 PM, agunns said:

Might have missed this already, but has anybody else heard from Brown or Berkeley? I saw some mentions on the acceptance thread about a few people hearing, but I'm dying to know because these are my last two schools. I'm in a IU-Bloomington, which is exciting, so I'm waiting on these two before I make my final decision.

i was admitted to berkeley about two weeks ago with notification of funding and visit weekend dates. it might be best to assume that barring another round of offers, the department is done w their process this year. chins up everyone

Edited by defmaybe

1 hour ago, automatic said:

Thank you for doing that!! Did you send that after people started hearing they got in? Well, good luck to both of us...! 

Yes I did. The waiting is the worst...need to make plans and move on. Good luck indeed. I am waiting on that rejection though.

Today I got my official Virginia, Rutgers, Stanford, Cornell, NYU and Princeton rejections. Only surprised at Princeton because no acceptances were on the board when I got it. Kind of prefer it that hey all do it in one go and get it out of the way.

5 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Today I got my official Virginia, Rutgers, Stanford, Cornell, NYU and Princeton rejections. Only surprised at Princeton because no acceptances were on the board when I got it. Kind of prefer it that hey all do it in one go and get it out of the way.

Oh man! That's quite a day. I'm sorry to hear that. I see you've written Columbia as implied rejection--what made you decide that?

51 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Oh man! That's quite a day. I'm sorry to hear that. I see you've written Columbia as implied rejection--what made you decide that?

Nothing substantial, initially it was the interviews but based on the trend I don’t want to convince myself that it’s still a possibility. Euther way I expect we’ll hear something Friday or next week.

13 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Oof sorry to hear about the rough day. I also got a handful of rejections yesterday. But, don't rule any school out until the official rejection is in your inbox! When I was doing my MA/MFA cycle a few years ago I was rejected by almost all the schools I had applied to and just as I was giving up I got a Columbia acceptance! Stay strong, friend!

On 2/20/2018 at 1:06 PM, punctilious said:

Unrelated--but I see that you were accepted to Maryland! Congrats! May I ask what you field/era is? I'd also love to know if you have details on funding (we're waitlisted). Feel free to PM if you'd prefer!

Edit: Jk I read your profile so I know your field now! :)

Sorry this is a bit late but I just wanted to let you know I don't know much about funding/availability other than my own funding package (I can PM you if you want specifics on my offer). Have you been in touch with the DGS?

Best of luck! To you and everyone! 

52 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

@WildeThing how is the funding for the NYU MA? Would there still be a lot of money to take out as loans?

50% to everyone, an additional 10% fellowship, only tuition (no fees or stipend). That means about 26k out of pocket plus living expenses for 2 years or a year and a half. There are no fellowships you can apply for until you’re inside though there are competitive fellowships once you’re a student. No teaching opportunities, only possibility is a research assistantship with a member of faculty but those are also not available to incoming students. I can’t think of any other way to cover the expenses but 60% off tuition is the max the department will offer to anyone apparently.

24 minutes ago, roycedoyce said:

Ahh thanks. I guess i'll be getting mine soon too. Best of luck with the rest of your results :/.

Thank you - you too! Two years ago (the last time I applied to Davis) I was soft-wait listed. So like everyone got invites or rejected and I got nothing. I had to contact the school to find out I was wait listed. I was ultimately not offered a spot and didn't get my official rejection from them until something like June. The same thing during the same cycle happened to a classmate that had just finished his MA at our program. So I mean, a wait list spot is a possibility if they sent the acceptances and rejections and haven't contacted you yet. 

13 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

50% to everyone, an additional 10% fellowship, only tuition (no fees or stipend). That means about 26k out of pocket plus living expenses for 2 years or a year and a half. There are no fellowships you can apply for until you’re inside though there are competitive fellowships once you’re a student. No teaching opportunities, only possibility is a research assistantship with a member of faculty but those are also not available to incoming students. I can’t think of any other way to cover the expenses but 60% off tuition is the max the department will offer to anyone apparently.

On another thread, someone posted about John Carroll still admitting with full funding. If this is your only offer, you might consider applying to John Carroll. It may not have the appeal of NYU, but at least you'll get teaching experience and won't ratchet up debt. That is assuming that the program has someone in your broader area of interests; I say broader because the specific fit of an MA is less important than PhD, but you should make sure that there is at least someone semi-relevant (i.e. if you're a medievalist, make sure there is a medievalist; if you want to look at film, make sure the department has film folks; if you want to do comp lit between Russia and the US, make sure there are people open to at least the US texts you are interested in).

Edited by CulturalCriminal
I need to stop using Gradcafe on my phone...

8 minutes ago, ThePandaBard said:

Thank you - you too! Two years ago (the last time I applied to Davis) I was soft-wait listed. So like everyone got invites or rejected and I got nothing. I had to contact the school to find out I was wait listed. I was ultimately not offered a spot and didn't get my official rejection from them until something like June. The same thing during the same cycle happened to a classmate that had just finished his MA at our program. So I mean, a wait list spot is a possibility if they sent the acceptances and rejections and haven't contacted you yet. 

Oh wow, thank you so much for this information!! I have recently kept getting a string of rejections and this gives me a lot of hope. Thank you for making my day and I hope that you get good results :). 

45 minutes ago, roycedoyce said:

Ahh thanks. I guess i'll be getting mine soon too. Best of luck with the rest of your results :/.

Waiting for this also -- rip off the bandaid, Davis!!! (It'll be a humiliating bandaid, as it's my undergrad and one of my LoRs is a prof there but this waiting game slays me.)  My application website still only says 'submitted' too :/

7 minutes ago, chellyfish_ said:

Waiting for this also -- rip off the bandaid, Davis!!! (It'll be a humiliating bandaid, as it's my undergrad and one of my LoRs is a prof there but this waiting game slays me.)  My application website still only says 'submitted' too :/

Best of luck to you! I hope its at least a waitlist for both of us. I see that you've got admission to UCR though! Congratulations, I am hoping to hear from UCR soon too!

As for the website decision, it still says submitted for me too!

26 minutes ago, roycedoyce said:

Best of luck to you! I hope its at least a waitlist for both of us. I see that you've got admission to UCR though! Congratulations, I am hoping to hear from UCR soon too!

As for the website decision, it still says submitted for me too!

Thank you!! Luck to you as well -- hopefully you and some other UCR-applicants on the site will find out good news from UCR today! :D

Finally received my rejection from CUNY. I am amazed at how this process works! I have an amazing fit/ feel where I got accepted. I tried to make a fit where there really wasn't one at the places where I was rejected. It is all about fit people!!!