Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

15 hours ago, agunns said:

Still being ghosted by Brown and Berkeley; anyone else in a similar situation? I'm going to assume rejections from both of them at this point.

I also haven't heard from Brown. I just emailed the Brown grad coordinator and was told that I would receive a response from the Director of Graduate Studies soon. 

57 minutes ago, signandsignifiers said:

I know Comp/Rhet heard last week, and I (Lit) got accepted on Monday. So, at this point, I think both have gone out. 

Yes, congrats!!!  Do you know of anyone else accepted?  I would have expected to see a lot more.

22 minutes ago, Warelin said:

You have some great choices for Rhetoric/Tech Comm! :)

Thanks! Penn State and my remaining two schools are my worst fits. I'm very thankful for the options I do have, I and can't be too upset about this rejection (and the two more I predict coming in).

12 minutes ago, eliserichelle said:

Yes, congrats!!!  Do you know of anyone else accepted?  I would have expected to see a lot more.

No, I don't. I saw at least one other person on the results page, though. (Sorry if this is bad news) I do know that their program (lit, I know nothing about the Rhet/Comp department) is quite small, so it's entirely possible they sent all of their acceptances out. They said that they're expecting to only fund 4 people in the PhD and 4 people in the MA program.

22 hours ago, agunns said:

Still being ghosted by Brown and Berkeley; anyone else in a similar situation? I'm going to assume rejections from both of them at this point.

Haven’t heard from berkeley either, and even though there seem to be a slightly low number of reported acceptances, it definitely feels like a rejection. I dont understand the huuuuuge gap between acceptances and rejections from them.....

35 minutes ago, Litboi said:

Haven’t heard from berkeley either, and even though there seem to be a slightly low number of reported acceptances, it definitely feels like a rejection. I dont understand the huuuuuge gap between acceptances and rejections from them.....

Most schools don't notify rejections way later. Some of them have even notified after April 15.  During one of my cycles, I got a rejection in Mid June.

I posted this a year ago and recently rediscovered it:

Big News? You're alive.

-There are currently seven billion people alive today and the Population Reference Bureau estimates that about 107 billion people have ever lived. 
-Having just a few coins makes you richer than most people on Earth.
-You are unique and nobody in the entire world is like you are
-The opportunity to attend school is something many people don’t have. (Which makes having a college degree even greater!)
-Most people lack a bed of their own to sleep in
-Many people on earth lack access to clean water.
-Cell phones make talking to loved ones easy.
-You can enjoy pizza. Or Ice Cream.
-There are people in your life who love you more than you could ever know
-The Internet, n'uff said?

But in all seriousness, try not to compare yourself to others. We have a tendency to look at how great the lives of other people are going without realizing the stresses they're hiding. There may even be people looking at you and saying, isn't it great that Shaun or Rachel are taking chances to pursue what they want no matter the cost? They don't realize that you're refreshing your e-mail every minute waiting for news.

Edited by Warelin

Just got an email from the Duke Literature DGS... "unlikely" that they will admit me off their waitlist. Sort of bummed because it was my dream program going into this whole process, but after talking with faculty at places I got in at, I think my former "there's Duke and then there's everywhere else" mentality was completely unwarranted. I think I'll end up being happier--and getting an education that better fits my own individual needs--somewhere else.

15 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Just got an email from the Duke Literature DGS... "unlikely" that they will admit me off their waitlist. Sort of bummed because it was my dream program going into this whole process, but after talking with faculty at places I got in at, I think my former "there's Duke and then there's everywhere else" mentality was completely unwarranted. I think I'll end up being happier--and getting an education that better fits my own individual needs--somewhere else.

I'm really sorry to hear that, @Crow T. Robot. You do have some seriously amazing programs that accepted you outright, however! I guess that's one program to put aside so you can focus on determining which of your current offers are the best choice for you. And it looks like that will be no easy feat, so one less thing to worry about!

Just got my wait list notification for UCR. They said they'd have a clearer idea on if I'm admitted in about two weeks. I'm still waiting on word of funding from UNL, as I was accepted there and wait listed on funding. I've been rejected, it seems, from all of my other programs. Here's hoping for some people turning down their spots (with funding) so I can move off of the wait lists.

3 hours ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Sorry to hear that about Duke. Oddly, I know someone who felt that exact same way about Brown but didn't get in. You've got some great options, so wherever you end up you'll be in someone's greener pastures (if that makes sense. It's my Grandma's phrase and I've never realized how odd it is until now). 

(also this was not meant to shame you for your disappointment or anything)

2 hours ago, ThePandaBard said:

Just got my wait list notification for UCR. They said they'd have a clearer idea on if I'm admitted in about two weeks. I'm still waiting on word of funding from UNL, as I was accepted there and wait listed on funding. I've been rejected, it seems, from all of my other programs. Here's hoping for some people turning down their spots (with funding) so I can move off of the wait lists.

Yes! I'm rooting for everyone to get into UCR all the time. I love that school and its faculty and its oranges. 

So, I have been at an emotional breakdown for the last month since I got my first rejection. 

Waiting for Boston College, Boston University, Columbia and Toronto...

Edited by LauraVZ

@punctilious and @M(allthevowels)H, thanks for the kind words! I'm beyond thrilled to have the options I do have (I love that "someone else's greener pastures" saying!) and definitely feel extraordinarily fortunate. I kind of feel like PhD programs present an inversion of the old Groucho Marx line--when it comes down to it, you don't want to be part of any club that wouldn't have you as a member!

@ThePandaBard Congrats on waitlist, good luck!!!

Riverside is the last place I haven't heard from (and Northeastern, but I don't see myself going to Boston even if I happened to get in). I think I might have to call UCR for the "projected rejection" camp. :/

Eek, acceptances and waitlists from Washington up on the board, probably time to chalk it up as implied.  I can't be too sulky about it since I've got an acceptance elsewhere, but there was a POI who fit sooooooooo perfectly with me there :( /siighhh

In other news...any other UCSB ghostees think we might hear something today??? (Please sweet baby jesus let us hear something today LOL)

Rejection from UCSB. 

Emailed asking for an update. Kindest rejection letter I have ever received: "The committee was favorably impressed by your application, but we regret that we are not able to make you an offer of admission. I wish I had better news, but we have very many worthy applications, and deciding among them was not an easy task."

Said I'd get the official letter shortly - so other people waiting on UCSB, you should hear today.

14 minutes ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

Rejection from UCSB. 

Emailed asking for an update. Kindest rejection letter I have ever received: "The committee was favorably impressed by your application, but we regret that we are not able to make you an offer of admission. I wish I had better news, but we have very many worthy applications, and deciding among them was not an easy task."

Said I'd get the official letter shortly - so other people waiting on UCSB, you should hear today.

Ack, sorry to hear this <3 That is a super nice email though.  Every interaction I've had with that department has been tremendously kind and positive, so I'm super bummed to hear we might be getting bad news soon agh >.>