Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

On 3/19/2018 at 3:38 PM, JustPoesieAlong said:

Bleh. My current suspicion regarding Emory: my application has actually slipped through the cracks and wasn't even looked at. Hoping to hear something from OSU soon so I know it's all over. 

I don't know if anyone here is waiting on Emory, but I did finally get some information from them that may be of use for future applicants: It turns out, they do use a secret/invisible wait list, or pool of applicants they keep on hold in case there are any "unexpected openings." That's where my application has been slumbering. Unfortunately, they don't expect a spot to open up at this point and I can expect a formal rejection to come soon. Frankly, though, I'm quite pleased to have made it that far! :)

• 10 months later...

Oh dear god I needed this thread.

so far haven’t heard back from Oregon state (not sure that acceptance is legit though since the date is weird...holding out hope), Ohio, u Chicago, or Madison. Looks like Madison already notified one or two for their waitlist so I’m assuming that’s a rejection, UChicago was always kind of an assumed rejection, but Ohio waitlisted me last cycle on 1/29 so I guess that may happen again, who knows. 

I’m trying not to freak out, and I have a lot more schools posting results next month, but I’m a worse case scenario kinda gal, so this thread is just my style.

Good luck everyone!

12 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I’m trying not to freak out, and I have a lot more schools posting results next month, but I’m a worse case scenario kinda gal, so this thread is just my style.

I'm right there with you after the pre-admission email campus invites went out to people for Northeastern. i hate hanging on by a thread. 

My OSU portal indicates that my status still remains "pending." I guess that's an implied rejection then. Or does the notification come at a different time for Composition/Rhetoric track? 

Edited by NAL

On 1/25/2019 at 7:23 PM, kendalldinniene said:

Oh dear god I needed this thread.

so far haven’t heard back from Oregon state (not sure that acceptance is legit though since the date is weird...holding out hope), Ohio, u Chicago, or Madison.

I got so anxious when I saw that Oregon State acceptance last week, but I also immediately noticed the date issue, and how it specified "email" when the program told us they'd do phone calls for acceptances. Hopefully we'll hear back this week, since this week is supposed to be the final review/decision week!

I applied to 4 schools, didn't hear from them for the month of Jan. I did email the admission for one of the schools they said it hasn't been reviewed yet (fingers crossed) but Implied rejections for allll~!! lol

After a wave of acceptances from a few schools that I applied to, I am wondering (hoping) if international students have a later notification date, and if there are more waves coming afterwards.

edit: I mean, from the schools that already accepted a number of students. 

Edited by Hopeful and Not

First off, I want to say I'm truly stoked for everyone who got in today.  It's fun to see dreams coming true!

However, the results board adds another two implied rejections to my tally today and it hurts.  Definitely shed a few tears.  Watched some kitten videos.  Shed a few more tears.  I really hope the coming weeks disprove this hunch I have that this year is going to be a shut out.

10 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

First off, I want to say I'm truly stoked for everyone who got in today.  It's fun to see dreams coming true!

However, the results board adds another two implied rejections to my tally today and it hurts.  Definitely shed a few tears.  Watched some kitten videos.  Shed a few more tears.  I really hope the coming weeks disprove this hunch I have that this year is going to be a shut out.

Don’t lose hope! The first time I applied, I got a lot of rejections at first and the programs that did want me didn’t contact me until way later. I was also initially disappointed that I was shut out by PhD programs and had to get my master’s but that ended up being the best thing for me and I’m incredibly happy I went that route now. That’s to say, there’s a lot of time left and in the end you’ll wind up where you should be. I know it’s difficult though and I’m bracing myself for the next couple of weeks. 

On the other hand, a professor who is on my committee told me that taking a year off if you don’t get the offers you want may sound terrifying but it could be a really great thing. For instance, there was a student in my program who got shut out and then ended up getting offers from extremely competitive programs the following season. 

I think you’ll surprise yourself in some time! It isn’t even February yet! My fingers are crossed for you!! Keep your chin up. 

5 minutes ago, Sav said:

Don’t lose hope! The first time I applied, I got a lot of rejections at first and the programs that did want me didn’t contact me until way later. I was also initially disappointed that I was shut out by PhD programs and had to get my master’s but that ended up being the best thing for me and I’m incredibly happy I went that route now. That’s to say, there’s a lot of time left and in the end you’ll wind up where you should be. I know it’s difficult though and I’m bracing myself for the next couple of weeks. 

On the other hand, a professor who is on my committee told me that taking a year off if you don’t get the offers you want may sound terrifying but it could be a really great thing. For instance, there was a student in my program who got shut out and then ended up getting offers from extremely competitive programs the following season. 

I think you’ll surprise yourself in some time! It isn’t even February yet! My fingers are crossed for you!! Keep your chin up. 

Thank you for the encouragement :)  This is my year off as I didn't get into a PhD last year and turned down a MA program because it wasn't the offer I really needed.  And it's been a  miserable year so far, haha.  But I'm also a few weeks away from my 31st, which I think is compounding the why didn't I do this sooner what is going to become of me what even is life panic.

But you're completely right, I really don't know where the heck I stand until the end of next month, at the earliest.  Thanks for the cheering up, I do appreciate it!  And congrats again on your good news!

I totally get this!! I just turned 32 so I completely understand being stressed about timing. It’s especially hard when everyone seems to be making progress at such a young age. 

On 1/28/2019 at 7:28 PM, Sav said:

I totally get this!! I just turned 32 so I completely understand being stressed about timing. It’s especially hard when everyone seems to be making progress at such a young age. 

Yessss!  Omg it feels so good knowing someone else can relate!  Sometimes this process, especially thinking about how long programs can take and how long it can take to get full time work after, makes me feel 80 ?

Edited by kendalldinniene

4 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Yessss!  Omg it feels so good knowing someone else can relate!  Sometimes this process, especially thinking about how long programs can take and how long it can take to get full time work after, makes me feel 80 ?

Lol I know!!! :) When you start adding everything up it can be scary. Especially because, in many ways, your life is sort of put on hold for an indefinite amount of time to pursue this career path. 

35 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

Can I just say, even not counting my expected Chicago rejection, that after seeing the weather in Chicago this week I wouldn't want to move there anyway? ?

Lol I have a friend living there and she posted today about how her dog is on “poop strike” until it warms up a bit ?

On 1/26/2019 at 9:01 AM, NAL said:

My OSU portal indicates that my status still remains "pending." I guess that's an implied rejection then. Or does the notification come at a different time for Composition/Rhetoric track? 

Just wanted to say that last year my OSU status remained "pending" until April 16th or so, as I was waitlisted.  I think we'll hear about waitlists from them tomorrow (last year I heard 1/29) or so.  GL!

@kendalldinniene good intel (no upvotes left :/)! Additionally, let us do away with all these "implied rejections," no? There is so much we don't know about the inner-workings of these adcomms - how their waitlists work, what kind of students they are looking for this year (probably different from the last year), whether the department even knows what kind of funding they will receive for its admits, etc.) and, I've said it before so I'll say it again, a rejection is only a rejection when it is, in fact, a rejection! There's a reason some hear back from a university in late January, and others hear back, from the same university, two or more months later! 

** I realize that I am essentially saying, "Do away with this damn "implied rejections" topic!" And I realize it can be comforting to have any sort of closure, even negative, but I like to stay positive to counter-balance all the dread and despair humanities folk seem to cling to so dearly. (myself included).

Edited by j.alicea

1 minute ago, j.alicea said:

@kendalldinniene good intel (no upvotes left :/)! Additionally, let us do away with all these "implied rejections," no? There is so much we don't know about the inner-workings of these adcomms - how their waitlists work, what kind of students they are looking for this year (probably different from the last year), whether the department even knows what kind of funding they will receive for its admits, etc.) and, I've said it before so I'll say it again, a rejection is only a rejection when it is, in fact, a rejection! There's a reason some hear back from a university in late January, and others hear back, from the same university, two or more months later! 

Lol, I did away with the IR part of my signature after seeing your and others' posts saying this.  It was a relief, honestly, to put it out of my mind and just wait for concrete answers.

That being said, some folks likely feel more in control of this process trying to figure out/plan for IRs (I thought I would), and I won't fault anyone for trying to regain that sense in this very out of control time.