Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

E-mail from UCSB

REEEEEEEEEEEEEJECTED

It was my topic pick -- but I long ago settled into probably being rejected.

I have an offer from Howard, with funding. 

31 minutes ago, chellyfish_ said:

Ugh, there's that UCSB rejection.  That program and my interests are such an excellent fit that it's like a gut punch to the heart (and I keep thinking about all the steps I could have taken to up my chances, reach out more beforehand etc).  I got waitlisted last year and I think my app was objectively stronger this year too :( 

Welp, grateful for one acceptance at least -- guess it's inland and away from the coast for me //sweats

I'm sorry to hear that. The process is just so unpredictable, you never know what will happen no matter how "strong" or "weak" the fit appears to be!

Riverside still looks close to the ocean, though! But perhaps that's just because I'm from a state without coastline (Vermont).

I’m not sure if this is necessarily the right place for this question, but I saw the results about a rejection from University of Oregon’s PhD program that said the person had read/heard terrible things about it.

I got an acceptance to their program, so I’m curious to hear more on that, if anyone has any info!

Also, any word on University of Illinois at Chicago rejections/acceptances?

I just missed a call from a California number. I'm 97% sure it's just spam, but there's a UC Riverside rejection by phone on the board (which seems super mean and unnecessary, tbh)--what if it was them??? No voicemail though as far as I can tell, so probably spam. Seriously, it's been three entire months since that app was due.

6 minutes ago, hotpotato said:

I just missed a call from a California number. I'm 97% sure it's just spam, but there's a UC Riverside rejection by phone on the board (which seems super mean and unnecessary, tbh)--what if it was them??? No voicemail though as far as I can tell, so probably spam. Seriously, it's been three entire months since that app was due.

FWIW: I think the person might have called to get their answer. I haven't heard of any program calling to reject (though it is possible, I suppose) anyone.

Are the UCSB and UCR rejections via email or mail? I still haven't heard anything from them (I mean, I'm assuming it's a big no from both of them, but I'd still like to know for sure.). 

Also, does anyone know when Stony Brook and Fordham will send out decisions?

40 minutes ago, nervousrex said:

Are the UCSB and UCR rejections via email or mail? I still haven't heard anything from them (I mean, I'm assuming it's a big no from both of them, but I'd still like to know for sure.). 

Also, does anyone know when Stony Brook and Fordham will send out decisions?

I think someone mentioned that Fordham sent out decisions.

2 hours ago, TaliaTee said:

I’m not sure if this is necessarily the right place for this question, but I saw the results about a rejection from University of Oregon’s PhD program that said the person had read/heard terrible things about it.

I got an acceptance to their program, so I’m curious to hear more on that, if anyone has any info!

Also, any word on University of Illinois at Chicago rejections/acceptances?

Longtime lurker here: Hello everybody!

I was wondering the same about that U of O comment. I saw that and it kind of threw me-- I've heard nothing but good things from everyone I've talked to. It's between there and two other schools for me, so I'd like to know what this person's heard, if they've even heard or read anything.

Based off of what I've heard from people who have graduated from/interacted with everyone there, at this point I'm chalking it up to sour grapes until I hear otherwise.

Edited by Knights

4 minutes ago, Knights said:

Longtime lurker, here: Hello everybody!

I was wondering the same about that U of O comment. I saw that and it kind of threw me-- I've heard nothing but good things from everyone I've talked to. It's between there and two other schools for me, so I'd like to know what this person's heard, if they've even heard or read anything.

Based off of what I've heard from people who have graduated from there/interacted with everyone there, at this point I'm chalking it up to sour grapes until I hear otherwise.

I think you're right about this. When I was researching programs, I had the opportunity to talk to a few people there. The faculty were really nice in answering my questions. The coordinator mentioned that they take pedagogy really seriously and it's something that they consider to be very important to their identity. If they were stronger in the subfield I was interested in, it would have been a program I would have applied to.

6 hours ago, punctilious said:

I'm sorry to hear that. The process is just so unpredictable, you never know what will happen no matter how "strong" or "weak" the fit appears to be!

Riverside still looks close to the ocean, though! But perhaps that's just because I'm from a state without coastline (Vermont).

You're so sweet <3 I agree -- the process is totally crazy, and probably depends equally on what bizarre, specific thing they're looking for that year as the people themselves (this goes for everyone who wasn't admitted anywhere).  And it's close...ish hahah, a little more than an hour, which seems like a lot compared to my current five lol! 

2 hours ago, nervousrex said:

Email for UCSB, I assume UCR is the same, though they haven't gone out yet.  If you haven't heard from UCSB yet, you might be waitlisted.  I was last year, and it came the same day rejections did, but at the end of the day rather than the beginning (when rejections were sent).  I might check your academic portal -- mine's switched to the rejection letter, but a 'submitted' status might be another waitlist sign!

16 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

B-B-B-B-Berkeley Rhetoric rejection (air horns).

And with that, all the decisions are in.

Same here, meaning I will definitely be returning to Europe. Just waiting on Oxford to put me out of my misery.

So I am confused. I wrote to BU Romances Studies department to know if the had already send admissions for their Ph.D program (to see if I should give up hope) and I got a mail from the administrative assistant telling me that my application was still on consideration and asking me to be patient and wait a little more for an answer. I know that BU has already send admission letters to other people for the same program I applied to. Does this means I am on a internal waiting list? Should I keep hope? I have a very good offer from BCollege, so in any case I am going to Boston on the fall, but I don't know how to interpret BU's answer.

15 hours ago, ThePandaBard said:

I think UCR has notified their acceptances at this point. I was emailed about being on the wait list already too. 

I am still waiting on UCR and I was wondering if you had to email them first to be notified about the waitlist, or they email me first? I guess if its the latter, I'm getting a rejection soon, hah!

3 hours ago, roycedoyce said:

Also, is Boston College done notifying with waitlists? I have not heard from them for a while, and I am assuming a rejection at this point, but I was wondering if anyone is waiting on them at this point for English Literature.

Husband was waitlisted at BC on February 11 and was informed that he was first in line for a spot in his field. However, he declined his place on the waitlist 11 days ago. It's always possible there's a secret waitlist, though?

On 3/6/2018 at 8:01 PM, themoderncondition said:

Have some Fordham info. I emailed DGS a week and a half ago. He said decisions would be sent out end of the following week bc AdCom has decided but needed (which is now last week). When Friday arrived, I reached out to GSAS and GSAS Director of admissions. They said they were finalizing decisions. They both sent me a boilerplate response about how decisions normally come at 6 to 8 weeks after the deadline.  I think I’ve officially used up all my goodwill, so I won’t be asking anymore questions until I hear from them, but if anyone else wants to shed light, I’ll be lurking…

I also emailed because I JUST WANT TO KNOW. Pretty standard answer that results will be out "by the end of next week, March 16th." I just wish they's hurry up. @LeeLeeCzechIrish I'm also wondering about those two waitlist postings....

1 hour ago, punctilious said:

Husband was waitlisted at BC on February 11 and was informed that he was first in line for a spot in his field. However, he declined his place on the waitlist 11 days ago. It's always possible there's a secret waitlist, though?

Ahh thank you for that! I think I will email the DGS and ask them if I can know of any decision. Thank you!