Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

Well, given the wave of Vanderbilt acceptances and the waitlisted individual on the results board that heard a few hours ago, I'm starting to think that perhaps this is an implied rejection.  What a crummy feeling.  At least the schools I applied to have started notifying.

27 minutes ago, The Wordsworthian said:

Well, given the wave of Vanderbilt acceptances and the waitlisted individual on the results board that heard a few hours ago, I'm starting to think that perhaps this is an implied rejection.  What a crummy feeling.  At least the schools I applied to have started notifying.

I feel this. Not hearing anything when you know they’ve sent out acceptances and waitlist spots to others is the pits.

Hopefully you’ll get good news very soon though!

Rejected at Rice.  Based on what I've gleaned, it looks like they didn't accept anyone focusing on medieval/early modern literature.  While I would have enjoyed working with Joseph Campana, I realize that they don't have an abundance of people who work in that area.  This one stings a little bit because I've been around Houston the past couple of years, and I did have a couple of introductions there which suggested things were moving in a positive direction.  

@The Wordsworthian

I have a long history of grad school applications.  My first cycle was 2010 in philosophy, and the only offer I got was UChicago MAPH.  Over the last few years, I thought my skills would be more appreciated in literary studies, so I finished a second MA in the subject.  My applications are definitely better than anything I've sent out in the past, so I'm hoping I'll finally catch a break.  However, if I don't, then it's probably a stroke of good luck too.  Whatever happens, I'm pretty sure this is my last stab at a PhD. 

23 hours ago, The Wordsworthian said:

I, too, am chalking Vanderbilt up to implied rejection. It stings because it was one of my top choices, but life goes on. Hopefully more results will soon soften the blow.

16 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Anyone else feel like because of the rejections they've already received, that they have little to no chance at getting in anywhere else they applied to?

It's an understandable feeling, for sure! I think that each rejection suddenly, sharply makes the outcome more concrete. It stops being "I could end up in these places" and starts being "I am not going to live in Durham." That stings, and the newness and intensity of it can overpower our more levelheaded considerations (i.e. most people who get admitted only get admitted to one or two places total, so a few rejections shouldn't really change our expectations).

My friend who was admitted to Johns Hopkins yesterday was feeling really discouraged because he had three rejections before that point, and I think this is more likely to happen than not.

So, it makes sense to be discouraged, yes. Hopefully, you'll get some good news soon which will make it easier to put things in perspective. :) 

Edited by dilby

17 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Anyone else feel like because of the rejections they've already received, that they have little to no chance at getting in anywhere else they applied to?

Yep. I went into this cycle really adamant that I didn’t want to go to a terminal MA program and now I’m feeling like my chances of a PhD acceptance are zero and I hope to hell an MA program works out (with full funding because I am not accruing more debt, period). My SoP is clearly off. 

I still have a lot of programs to hear back from but I feel like, based on the responses I’ve got so far, I’m thinking a PhD is out for me this cycle.

But also who really knows anything in this process until you get official word from the school?  I really have my fingers crossed for you @Bopie5, I think you’ll be a terrific grad student!

solidarity @Bopie5 - i am also beginning to prepare myself for having to reapply again next year even though i haven't had any Official Rejections(tm) yet, and whilst i'm trying to excite myself by thinking about the different directions i can take my research interests in if i have an extra year, and how i can go about improving my profile etc etc etc, it does feel very dispiriting to be considering it when i really think about it. BUT you really do only need one acceptance, and every application is its own, separate entity: what one program overlooks could be exactly what another program is looking for. sometimes (mostly) it just comes down to luck, and your odds on one place aren't dependent on the outcome of another!!

At this point I've definitely accepted that I won't be going to grad school. It's really hard for me because I've had this dream since finishing my MA several years ago, but I also recognize that I've changed a lot in that time and some things just aren't meant to be. The good news is, you're always growing and changing, so for those of you who will reapply, you have so much room to grow and get accepted to so many programs next year!!

@dilby @kendalldinniene @dangermouse Thank you for the encouragement, it means a lot! I know it's important to not get down, and that "not right now" doesn't mean "no forever," especially since I'm still doing my undergrad. But I also have that gut churning feeling of "If I couldn't get into Northwestern there's no way I can get in to x-y-or-z" you know? Gotta silence that negative self talk.

@placeinspace Don't totally give up, unless you're sure that this is the time to move on!

33 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

It's tempting to feel like this, but try to remember that none of the acceptances/rejections are connected. Each program is different; different profs, different focuses, different admissions committee, different funding. One rejection doesn't automatically imply another. Try to stay positive! ❤️

29 minutes ago, dartdoc said:

@beirut Me, me, waiting for rejection from UChicago! I'll consider myself adequate if they recommend me to an MA program that they have. Not that I'll go since I probably cannot afford it but.... just telling myself it's okay 

I’m going to add myself to the probably rejected from Chicago group. I got the chance to interview but totally bombed it. Gonna eat mac & cheese now. 

5 hours ago, swarthmawr said:

I’m going to add myself to the probably rejected from Chicago group. I got the chance to interview but totally bombed it. Gonna eat mac & cheese now. 

that's better than nothing but i hope your mac and cheese is good 

Hi all, just starting to post on the forum instead of just obsessively refreshing the results page.

So I assume I'm rejected by Illinois U-C since I haven't heard. Same for Vanderbilt and Emory, but who knows. Really hoping for some good news soon, this is tough. (I did get waitlisted by UT, but I have no idea where I am on the list.)

UIUC, Vanderbilt, Emory, UPenn, Columbia, Stanford, Duke, Yale, Harvard, Michigan, NYU, Columbia, UGA, UNC, Boston College, UT Austin 

Rejected    Implied Rejection  Waitlisted  Interview   Accepted