Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

18 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

Huh, that's definitely interesting lol. Thanks though, I guess we will see what happens at the end of the month! I knew quite a few acceptances were out but I hadn't seen any waitlisted results so I wasn't sure what was going on.

Talked to my friend again and she did confirm that all acceptances for the PhD have gone out. Apparently the MA offers are going to go out in a couple weeks. I don’t really know about their waitlist process, if they notify or if it’s invisible ??‍♀️

4 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Talked to my friend again and she did confirm that all acceptances for the PhD have gone out. Apparently the MA offers are going to go out in a couple weeks. I don’t really know about their waitlist process, if they notify or if it’s invisible ??‍♀️

Thanks for the info! I feel like at this point I'm just accepting that it's probably bad news. 

At long last, my Duke Literature rejection has arrived! I had to jump through several confusing hoops to access the portal, so thank god I know what the outcome was going to be. Otherwise I might have had a heart attack.

1 hour ago, dilby said:

At long last, my Duke Literature rejection has arrived! I had to jump through several confusing hoops to access the portal, so thank god I know what the outcome was going to be. Otherwise I might have had a heart attack.

same here. knew it was coming, and honestly relieved get the formal rejection. duke was obviously one of my top choices (just one of a kind professors and placements in media theory) and i don't feel sad about my rejection as much as bummed because I know I could've made the application better. i finally nailed my application down a couple days later, haha. well, it is what it is.

Edited by deka

4 minutes ago, deka said:

i don't feel sad about my rejection as much as bummed because I know I could've made the application better. i finally nailed my application down a couple days later, haha. well, it is what it is.

i feel this! waitlisted at the school i applied to first. like... do you guys wanna see my ~final~ application now?! ;)

12 minutes ago, deka said:

same here. knew it was coming, and honestly relieved get the formal rejection. duke was obviously one of my top choices (just one of a kind professors and placements in media theory) and i don't feel sad about my rejection as much as bummed because I know I could've made the application better. i finally nailed my application down a couple days later, haha. well, it is what it is.

6 minutes ago, rr732 said:

i feel this! waitlisted at the school i applied to first. like... do you guys wanna see my ~final~ application now?! ;)

Interesting how application deadlines play in!

I think my first application was actually pretty decent because it was due the week before any of my others, so I focused more on writing for that one (which had a separate statement of purpose & then a personal/diversity statement). Then I scrambled in the next week to craft one solid standalone statement of purpose, which  I think made later applications suffer. 

Got my rejection from Modern Thought and Literature at Stanford. MTL was my dream program so this one really hurts my heart. Looking like Rice may be the only place I'm able to go if I move off the waitlist. Good luck with these final programs, everyone.

5 minutes ago, dilby said:

Got my rejection from Modern Thought and Literature at Stanford. MTL was my dream program so this one really hurts my heart. Looking like Rice may be the only place I'm able to go if I move off the waitlist. Good luck with these final programs, everyone.

Oh, shoot. :( I'm so sorry! Via E-mail, or is the decision also reflected on the portal? (I'm also still waiting for my results.)

Also, fingers crossed for U of T and Yale still for ya!

Got that Toront-NO, so my only pending programs are Yale (LOL) and the Rice waitlist. I am not holding my breath on Yale, so good luck to everyone who still has places to hear back from !!!

Just got rejected from Brown Modern Culture and Media. Was getting a bit antsy even though I most likely wouldn't go over the other programs I'm considering. I can't say I'm that sad, because after Wendy Chun left a year or so ago, the department is pretty all over the place in regards to media theory. It just sucks getting rejected, period, haha. I thought my app was solid, but there honestly was no fit. Well, now I just have the master's programs left. 

18 minutes ago, santraash said:

Yeah. And I was just checking out Brown results over the past decade. No one has ever been waitlisted there! Ever! Don't they have one? How do they maintain their cohort size? 

The current students are about ~40. If they are accepting ~18 every year, then I guess they're just depending that 1/3 of them accept?? IDK.

23 minutes ago, santraash said:

Yeah. And I was just checking out Brown results over the past decade. No one has ever been waitlisted there! Ever! Don't they have one? How do they maintain their cohort size? 

1 hour ago, sugilite said:

No news is bad news for Brown, it looks like! Empty portal. 

Not true. Brown English maintains an invisible waitlist. You're still in the game if you haven't received a rejection from Brown. We discovered that last year when some of us asked why we hadn't been notified and the coordinator told us about a waitlist.

2 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Not true. Brown English maintains an invisible waitlist. You're still in the game if you haven't received a rejection from Brown. We discovered that last year when some of us asked why we hadn't been notified and the coordinator told us about a waitlist.

Thanks for the tip! What ever would we do without you?! 

3 minutes ago, sugilite said:

Thanks for the tip! What ever would we do without you?! 

It’s true. Warelin is our answer bank. I’m an international applicant, so there are times when I really need some info that I otherwise have absolutely no access to! You can’t imagine how big a help that is! 

Edited by santraash

Just now, grandr said:

Why haven't NYU and Berkeley sent out their rejections yet? This is getting ridiculous honestly...
Also, how are we feeling about Yale? Is that an implied rejection?

Looking at last year Berkeley didn’t bother to send rejections out until like late March, I think.