Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

18 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Today I got my official Virginia, Rutgers, Stanford, Cornell, NYU and Princeton rejections. Only surprised at Princeton because no acceptances were on the board when I got it. Kind of prefer it that hey all do it in one go and get it out of the way.

We had a very similar awful day and I just want to say I really empathize with you, if I understand correctly, waiting to hear back from 1-2 schools with no acceptances so far. It's awful and I wish it could just be done with already. 

1 hour ago, LeeLeeCzechIrish said:

Finally received my rejection from CUNY. I am amazed at how this process works! I have an amazing fit/ feel where I got accepted. I tried to make a fit where there really wasn't one at the places where I was rejected. It is all about fit people!!! 

This is exactly how I feel about my shiny-new Rochester rejection. I was really enamored with the idea of it and had heard such great things about living in the city, I tried to force a fit where there maybe wasn't one. 

On 2/21/2018 at 11:45 AM, toxicmoss said:

I get the feeling, someone tweaked something on my application last week so I’m perpetually checking my app for any sign of another change. 

I don’t know if it was you, but someone mentioned UCR was deciding tomorrow- would that mean the acceptances go out tomorrow or during the weekend? 

I noticed a while ago that nether option is checked on the bottom of my application where it says "Application is submitted and is currently under review" and obviously, "An admissions decision has been made" is not checked. I'm worried about the former and I cannot remember if it was ever checked.

7 minutes ago, LexHex said:

I noticed a while ago that nether option is checked on the bottom of my application where it says "Application is submitted and is currently under review" and obviously, "An admissions decision has been made" is not checked. I'm worried about the former and I cannot remember if it was ever checked.

That’s exactly what happened to me, I think last week Thursday or Friday. Someone else on the forum reported that theirs was still checked (the submitted box), and I know mine used to be checked before it became unchecked. The mystery deepens. 

7 minutes ago, toxicmoss said:

That’s exactly what happened to me, I think last week Thursday or Friday. Someone else on the forum reported that theirs was still checked (the submitted box), and I know mine used to be checked before it became unchecked. The mystery deepens. 

So maybe I am not crazy and it WAS checked. I thought it looked weird, but I couldn't place why

1 hour ago, LexHex said:

So maybe I am not crazy and it WAS checked. I thought it looked weird, but I couldn't place why

As someone who's already been accepted, that's still the case on my app, so it doesn't mean anything. My portal still hasn't changed since acceptance. I remember freaking out when I noticed that about 3 weeks ago, and then didn't hear anything until last week. 

16 minutes ago, E. Coronaria said:

Those UC Davis rejections are brutal. My heart hurts for those who received those letters. Totally unnecessary! Y'all are better off at a school with a little more tact, and someone else will value you research and academic achievements <3

Still waiting on mine, wonder what’s taking them so long 

25 minutes ago, toxicmoss said:

Still waiting on mine, wonder what’s taking them so long 

Saaame! Looking back it seems like last year the rejections came out over two days so I'm trying not to get my hopes up for some waitlist sitch :P

2 hours ago, WildeThing said:

I'm seeing a lot of CUNY rejections from the website but mine is showing nothing, anyone else?

WildeThing, I'm experiencing the same thing... I'm definitely expecting a rejection at this point but I suppose they'll post it tomorrow?

2 hours ago, E. Coronaria said:

Those UC Davis rejections are brutal. My heart hurts for those who received those letters. Totally unnecessary! Y'all are better off at a school with a little more tact, and someone else will value you research and academic achievements <3

I was shaken to read that too... not competitive enough? yeah duh, this is a rejection letter! But I guess we do have to get used to these things, especially when we start trying to publish.

7 minutes ago, Mise said:

I was shaken to read that too... not competitive enough? yeah duh, this is a rejection letter! But I guess we do have to get used to these things, especially when we start trying to publish.

Very true. I think the rudest rejection I received (so far) was last app season from Brown's American Studies, something along the lines of: "We want the best and you are not it" is what I summarize it to be.

Also got a pretty tough rejection from an article I sent to MELUS for publication; got that rejection many months back. 

11 minutes ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

Very true. I think the rudest rejection I received (so far) was last app season from Brown's American Studies, something along the lines of: "We want the best and you are not it" is what I summarize it to be.

Also got a pretty tough rejection from an article I sent to MELUS for publication; got that rejection many months back. 

That's rough! An institution can maintain academic integrity without being unnecessarily rude. Nobody expects compliments in a rejection, but DAMN. 

17 minutes ago, Mise said:

I get that! But I wasn't suggesting that we shouldn't be prepared for rejection. A.) This isn't a competitive publication. This is applying to enter a program to learn. You're not expected to know everything before you get there. B.) People make great sacrifices (financial and otherwise) to apply to these programs. Honestly, the tone felt unprofessional. I've received loads of rejections, and I don't expect (or need) them to say flowery things. But I've never received one like that. Saying "unfortunately, we will not be making you an offer of admission. Thank you for your interest in UC Davis" would have sufficed. Particularly if I've paid you between $60.00-125.00 to review my application. It's implied that my application wasn't competitive if you didn't take me!

There's a difference (for me, anyway) between being evaluated for additional schooling and thinking that people owe you pleasantries for your scholarship when you are a trained professional. I have an MA, and I certainly do not consider myself a trained professional. 

50 minutes ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

Wow... like... I know what a rejection means, and thank you for spelling it out on my heart! 

I'm also mildly suffering from being rejected twice on the same manuscript on a pretty condescending note. I don't expect the editors angels, but I am having doubts about continuing in academics.

34 minutes ago, E. Coronaria said:

That's rough! An institution can maintain academic integrity without being unnecessarily rude. Nobody expects compliments in a rejection, but DAMN. 

I get that! But I wasn't suggesting that we shouldn't be prepared for rejection. A.) This isn't a competitive publication. This is applying to enter a program to learn. You're not expected to know everything before you get there. B.) People make great sacrifices (financial and otherwise) to apply to these programs. Honestly, the tone felt unprofessional. I've received loads of rejections, and I don't expect (or need) them to say flowery things. But I've never received one like that. Saying "unfortunately, we will not be making you an offer of admission. Thank you for your interest in UC Davis" would have sufficed. Particularly if I've paid you between $60.00-125.00 to review my application. It's implied that my application wasn't competitive if you didn't take me!

There's a difference (for me, anyway) between being evaluated for additional schooling and thinking that people owe you pleasantries for your scholarship when you are a trained professional. I have an MA, and I certainly do not consider myself a trained professional. 

I get your point. I must've mistaken my tone when I said "we do have to..." because that was more to tell myself to brace myself against my own UC Davis rejection :D

2 hours ago, hotpotato said:

I just want to go outside, shake my fist at the sky, and yell "RIVERSIIIIIDE!"

@toxicmoss @chellyfish_ No email from Davis yet either. I'd really like them to get it over with so I can move on to worrying about something else!

Omg this~  haha, because I know that's what I'll be doing once I have all the options on the table.

29 minutes ago, Mise said:

Wow... like... I know what a rejection means, and thank you for spelling it out on my heart! 

I'm also mildly suffering from being rejected twice on the same manuscript on a pretty condescending note. I don't expect the editors angels, but I am having doubts about continuing in academics.

I get your point. I must've mistaken my tone when I said "we do have to..." because that was more to tell myself to brace myself against my own UC Davis rejection :D

If you love this, please don't give up! Someone will give you that yes for your manuscript. 

I didn't have anything against your tone, btw! I was clarifying my thoughts too. It's not the rejection. It's okay to not meet an institution's set standards and have that be communicated to the applicant. It's just struck me as odd that an institution would find it necessary (and worth the energy) to be so condescending about it. Particularly as one school's "trash" is another school's treasure ;) 

Best of luck to you this application season! <3