Panicsville State of the Union - Transmission 001

1 hour ago, mads47 said:

I know there is some talk of age on this thread, so I want to pose a concern I've been thinking about this past week. I am 22 and rather young-looking for that. If I teach a course next year, which at this point, seems likely, I'll be teaching students only a year a two younger than me. Does anyone have experience being in a similar situation or advice on how to assert authority over people who would be my peers outside of academia?

You will probably be teaching first year composition, so the majority of your students will be 18 year olds. This might not feel like a big age difference to you, but I can guarantee that it feels like it to them. After a while, you will really feel the difference. They are all just so little!

However, I can tell you that I felt exactly the same when I started teaching during the first semester of my MA. I was 22 or 23 and everyone always tells me that I look really young (even now when I'm 29!). I don't want to make any assumptions, but as a woman I also felt like I had to assert my authority more to gain respect. I obsessed over my wardrobe, thought about wearing my hear up, considered wearing my glasses again, insisted that they call me Ms. LastName.

This all changed after my first semester when I realized that you automatically get respect by being the teacher (to some extent). You are in control of their grades, and they know it. I switched to my First name and relaxed substantially. You'll get the feel for it. 

15 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

You will probably be teaching first year composition, so the majority of your students will be 18 year olds. This might not feel like a big age difference to you, but I can guarantee that it feels like it to them. After a while, you will really feel the difference. They are all just so little!

However, I can tell you that I felt exactly the same when I started teaching during the first semester of my MA. I was 22 or 23 and everyone always tells me that I look really young (even now when I'm 29!). I don't want to make any assumptions, but as a woman I also felt like I had to assert my authority more to gain respect. I obsessed over my wardrobe, thought about wearing my hear up, considered wearing my glasses again, insisted that they call me Ms. LastName.

This all changed after my first semester when I realized that you automatically get respect by being the teacher (to some extent). You are in control of their grades, and they know it. I switched to my First name and relaxed substantially. You'll get the feel for it. 

You could have been writing about my life. So, @mads47 I second every single word that Wooshkah wrote here. Solid information.

3 hours ago, mads47 said:

I know there is some talk of age on this thread, so I want to pose a concern I've been thinking about this past week. I am 22 and rather young-looking for that. If I teach a course next year, which at this point, seems likely, I'll be teaching students only a year a two younger than me. Does anyone have experience being in a similar situation or advice on how to assert authority over people who would be my peers outside of academia?

I was terrified to start teaching because of these reasons. I was 22, short, and look like a child. But like @Wooshkuh points out, they pretty much respect you because you are their teacher. There’s a definite power difference there. They’re going to take you seriously because, honestly, they really don’t know anything anyway (they’re mostly 18!) 

i stressed about what to tell them to call me. I eventually settled on “call me what’s makes you comfortable,” because they’re going to do that anyway (lol). I always say it’s okay to use my first name, because I hate being Ms. 8, but students will call you Ms/Mr, Dr, professor, whatever. Some call me by my first name. 

If you ever wanna talk more about teaching for the first time, feel free to PM me! I love this stuff. 

Students will respect you, if you are authenticity yourself, treat them like adults, and take lesson planning seriously (in my experience). There are those problem students ( two of my friends have had to deal with mysogonists), but they are not as common as you may think. I enjoy teaching way more than I expected, personally. You’re welcome to message me as well!

@la_mod

@Wooshkuh

@Wabbajack

@mk-8

@CulturalCriminal 

Thank you all very much! That was some extremely reassuring advice.

16 hours ago, mk-8 said:

If you ever wanna talk more about teaching for the first time, feel free to PM me! I love this stuff. 

Thank you! I have a bit of experience teaching high school students; though, I know this is a horse of a different color.

28 minutes ago, CulturalCriminal said:

There are those problem students ( two of my friends have had to deal with mysogonists), but they are not as common as you may think. 

Definitely not looking forward to this part of things. I had a hard enough time as an undergrad having male peers explain to me the research I was working on (or giving really unrelated but sophisticated-sounding reading suggestions); I'm  not going to have much patience for students telling me how to literature XP

On 2/8/2018 at 5:49 PM, mads47 said:

@Wooshkuh, @Wabbajack, @CulturalCriminal, and @mk-8 have covered a lot of excellent points here. 

The only other thing I would add is that the program you join and work for as a TA will invest in preparing you well for the role of being a TA. There will likely be an orientation that lasts anywhere from a few days to a week or more. During that experience, you'll learn about pedagogy, classroom management, ways to use clothing and demeanor to boost a teacherly ethos, and you'll also cover things like lesson planning, assignment sequencing, grading, feedback, and everything else you would need to know to be well prepared to walk into your class. You'll meet people in the orientation who will become friends, mentors, and sources of excellent advice. You'll also become a mentor to others. You'll also likely take a pedagogy course that will not only serve as another source of useful information, practice, and camaraderie but will also serve as a productive space in which to vent and solve problems. Hearing that many other teachers are having the same (or worse) problems, concerns, or questions as you will be reassuring. Hearing about other folks' successes will empower you with ideas to level-up your own lessons.

I really can't speak highly enough about the benefits of a well-considered and well-delivered teacher preparation program. I think that's also something to investigate when getting down to the business of deciding where to go. And if you're not assigned a teaching mentor, find someone willing to mentor your teaching. Visit their classes, and have them visit yours. 

Other bits of advice from someone who walked into their first class with a babyface and out-of-town accent:

Dress in a way that makes you feel confident. Don't wear an itchy tweed jacket with leather elbow patches unless it makes you feel confident. Don't wear crazy high heels and matchy-matchy pantsuits unless that's what feels right to you. If you feel good, that will go a long way.

It's easier (and I think better) to start out "too tough" and to soften up in a few weeks than it is to start out super fuzzy nice and then to become more strict over time. I'm not saying you should terrorize students, but you should establish clear, firm expectations early on. As the semester progresses and you all get to know each other, you can relax certain syllabus policies (within reason, of course) and your students will sense that you care for their wellbeing, are a human being, and see them as human beings. That's way, way better than starting out without enforcing anything and then, 5 weeks into the semester, pivoting and becoming ultra-strict about tardiness or what have you. 

Have fun! Teaching is such a wonderful opportunity to learn from everyone around you and to empower others to think critically, articulate their viewpoints, change their minds, and generally grow more in 15 weeks than you--or they--would think possible. 

I'm happy to chat more, or to provide other advice, etc. etc. via PM.

I am starting to get really worried. I've only received one acceptance so far, and that's the only communication I've heard from any school. Four of my schools have contacted others of their acceptance so far (Penn state, Iowa state, Oregon state, NC State) and I haven't received any info. Do schools send their rejections so much later than the acceptances? 

Edited by canadianchart

11 minutes ago, canadianchart said:

I am starting to get really worried. I've only received one acceptance so far, and that's the only communication I've heard from any school. Four of my schools have contacted others of their acceptance so far (Penn state, Iowa state, Oregon state, NC State) and I haven't received any info. Do schools send their rejections so much later than the acceptances? 

I feel you. Going through the same thing. Like it's wonderful to have an acceptance (congratulations to you, by the way), but I'm just constantly feeling uneasy and anxious about my other schools (three pending). I just want them to update me !!

1 hour ago, canadianchart said:

Four of my schools have contacted others of their acceptance so far (Penn state, Iowa state, Oregon state, NC State) and I haven't received any info.

I'm of the mind that, if it's been a good while since acceptances went out, that there's no harm in contacting the department to see if they are still notifying, etc. I've heard from others who've done this and have found out that they were waitlisted. The worst is that they confirm you didn't make it, but at least you get to stop wondering. I feel for you though! Best of luck to you and congrats again on your acceptance!

Sorry for the double post, but in terms of where I'm at right now, I'm resisting impostor syndrome with all my might. I've had two lovely emails from faculty where I've been accepted, expressing interest and enthusiasm for my research, and all I can think is "Oh my god, I don't have anything to say. I said it all in the SOP and really did I mean it or did I fake it oh my god." In truth, I know I did mean it and I know I have plenty to talk about and if I really want to do this whole PhD thing I've got to get over this and represent myself better. Even still, I am struggling with this. All the while looking at my other schools, thinking, "Hey! Take me! I'm great!" Inner conflict, FTW. 

27 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Sorry for the double post, but in terms of where I'm at right now, I'm resisting impostor syndrome with all my might. I've had two lovely emails from faculty where I've been accepted, expressing interest and enthusiasm for my research, and all I can think is "Oh my god, I don't have anything to say. I said it all in the SOP and really did I mean it or did I fake it oh my god." In truth, I know I did mean it and I know I have plenty to talk about and if I really want to do this whole PhD thing I've got to get over this and represent myself better. Even still, I am struggling with this. All the while looking at my other schools, thinking, "Hey! Take me! I'm great!" Inner conflict, FTW. 

SAME. Also feeling weirdly rejected despite having gotten in places and POIs havent reached out to me like all you cool kids.

16 hours ago, canadianchart said:

I’m in the same boat! My nerves are a wreck.

I also applied to NC State & haven’t heard back, but looking at the results from previous years, it looks like they stagger their acceptances over a few weeks, so I wouldn’t worry too much about them yet. 

On 2/9/2018 at 10:02 PM, EspritHabile said:

@Wooshkuh, @Wabbajack, @CulturalCriminal, and @mk-8 have covered a lot of excellent points here. 

The only other thing I would add is that the program you join and work for as a TA will invest in preparing you well for the role of being a TA. There will likely be an orientation that lasts anywhere from a few days to a week or more. During that experience, you'll learn about pedagogy, classroom management, ways to use clothing and demeanor to boost a teacherly ethos, and you'll also cover things like lesson planning, assignment sequencing, grading, feedback, and everything else you would need to know to be well prepared to walk into your class.

Admittedly I'm in history (hi lit/rhet/comp folks!) so things might be a bit different across the board in history grad programs in terms of TA training (although I'd suspect there isn't), but these comments didn't reflect my experience at all.  We were given a 3 hour orientation that was half paperwork and half a plea to "please try not to sexual harass your students" and were then sent on our way.  We weren't given anything in the way of pedagogical training at all.  I was in a grad program at a state school so YMMV, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm not sure that it's safe to assume that all GA training is equal in terms of being comprehensive.

51 minutes ago, fortsibut said:

... these comments didn't reflect my experience at all.  We were given a 3 hour orientation that was half paperwork and half a plea to "please try not to sexual harass your students" and were then sent on our way.  We weren't given anything in the way of pedagogical training at all.  I was in a grad program at a state school so YMMV, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm not sure that it's safe to assume that all GA training is equal in terms of being comprehensive.

You absolutely have a good point here; not all programs or departments will invest much in preparing folks.

My experience in English programs--and the experiences I've heard from friends and colleagues in English--has included at least a decent amount of pedagogical preparation. Granted, this may have something to do with our proximity to R/C people and the expectation that all English folks will teach composition.

But yes, @fortsibut is right that not all programs will have the resources for this; that's a great metric to investigate when choosing between programs. 

3 hours ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but thank you for expressing this. I have been really dealing with it, but I assumed that it's because I come from an entirely creative writing background (BA and MFA) whereas most of you guys are English or philosophy, and am just hounded by the constant "I don't know as much as everyone else. I've tricked these schools into thinking I'm a *real* scholar but the real scholars will sniff me out." But if you (read: real scholar) are also dealing with it I can chalk it up to brain tricks.

(I also like to shift from insecurity to arrogance when thinking about my remaining schools. "I'm not good enough...but seriously Rochester how dare you ghost me?" all in the same breath.)

41 minutes ago, EspritHabile said:

You absolutely have a good point here; not all programs or departments will invest much in preparing folks.

My experience in English programs--and the experiences I've heard from friends and colleagues in English--has included at least a decent amount of pedagogical preparation. Granted, this may have something to do with our proximity to R/C people and the expectation that all English folks will teach composition.

But yes, @fortsibut is right that not all programs will have the resources for this; that's a great metric to investigate when choosing between programs. 

Glad to hear things are better in English!  Hopefully my experience isn't indicative of how things are in general.    To be clear, the prof with whom I worked was great and very communicative and I ended up having an excellent experience when I actually TA'd, but I certainly didn't go into it feeling very confident.

I wonder how common it is for applicants to grad programs to ask about TA training during the school selection process.  It's certainly not something that I would have thought of off the top of my head, but I think that you're right and it's a factor that really should be considered.

6 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

(I also like to shift from insecurity to arrogance when thinking about my remaining schools. "I'm not good enough...but seriously Rochester how dare you ghost me?" all in the same breath.)

I always joke to my husband that this is the classic trait of an English major/scholar. LOL.

1 hour ago, fortsibut said:

To be clear, the prof with whom I worked was great and very communicative and I ended up having an excellent experience when I actually TA'd, but I certainly didn't go into it feeling very confident.

Ohh, this raises an interesting question I hadn't considered earlier: what type of TAship are we talking about?

The experiences I'm describing in my posts, for example, are all TA-as-instructor-of-record for a class. In this sort of appointment, the TA is responsible for the design, delivery, and grading of the entire course (in accordance with departmental policies; some have a standard syllabus, others allow for more freedom). I think this kind of experience demands a higher level of pedagogical support and development on the front end because once that training concludes, the TA is largely on their own. 

In other appointments, the TA is an assistant to a professor in the department, and they may develop or teach a unit of the professor's course, lead discussion sections, assist with grading, etc. Because this position involves working so closely with a faculty member, the pedagogical support and mentorship has the potential to be spread out over the term of the appointment (YMMV, of course). I have a few friends in Literature or Cultural Studies programs who had this kind of TAship, and they had a WAY shorter training/orientation but had regular meetings with the professor and, if applicable, the professor's other TAs for the same course. 

So maybe that's one explanation for the differences in our experiences? And for sure, even within these "categories" of TAship, the preparation expected/offered by programs will vary quite a bit, so your point is well taken. 

1 hour ago, EspritHabile said:

Ohh, this raises an interesting question I hadn't considered earlier: what type of TAship are we talking about?

The experiences I'm describing in my posts, for example, are all TA-as-instructor-of-record for a class. In this sort of appointment, the TA is responsible for the design, delivery, and grading of the entire course (in accordance with departmental policies; some have a standard syllabus, others allow for more freedom). I think this kind of experience demands a higher level of pedagogical support and development on the front end because once that training concludes, the TA is largely on their own. 

In other appointments, the TA is an assistant to a professor in the department, and they may develop or teach a unit of the professor's course, lead discussion sections, assist with grading, etc. Because this position involves working so closely with a faculty member, the pedagogical support and mentorship has the potential to be spread out over the term of the appointment (YMMV, of course). I have a few friends in Literature or Cultural Studies programs who had this kind of TAship, and they had a WAY shorter training/orientation but had regular meetings with the professor and, if applicable, the professor's other TAs for the same course. 

So maybe that's one explanation for the differences in our experiences? And for sure, even within these "categories" of TAship, the preparation expected/offered by programs will vary quite a bit, so your point is well taken. 

You're absolutely right, I hadn't thought about that.  Master's students working in my program weren't instructors of record, so it certainly makes sense that the grad school would spend less resources to train us.  (Although I would've loved to have gotten that training had it been offered, no question)  As I said, I did learn a lot from the experience regardless, but it was from a direct mentorship perspective and through observation rather than from any kind of departmental training.

Good point!

3 hours ago, EspritHabile said:

I was the professor of record for all of the courses I taught during my MA. I had little to no "training" or pedagogical support. I was very much thrown to the wolves and left to fend for myself. It was quite the learning experience. I'm not complaining and it wasn't terrible, I just wanted to add that this type of TA-ship is also a possibility. 

In my TAship, I have the instructor-of-record experience. There is a support system in place, but at the end of the day it can feel like being thrown into the middle of the ocean with a life-vest and flippers. Then again, that's teaching for you. You either make it work, waste your students' time and money, or find another profession.

15 hours ago, clinamen said:

I was the professor of record for all of the courses I taught during my MA. I had little to no "training" or pedagogical support. I was very much thrown to the wolves and left to fend for myself. It was quite the learning experience. I'm not complaining and it wasn't terrible, I just wanted to add that this type of TA-ship is also a possibility. 

14 hours ago, CulturalCriminal said:

In my TAship, I have the instructor-of-record experience. There is a support system in place, but at the end of the day it can feel like being thrown into the middle of the ocean with a life-vest and flippers. Then again, that's teaching for you. You either make it work, waste your students' time and money, or find another profession.

Good points here. YMMV!

Okay. Totally new territory. I'm almost certain I know where I'm going. But I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm in a state of disbelief. I've got the offer letter from my top choice in my bag and keep taking it out to confirm it's real. I'm still afraid they're going to contact me and tell me it was an error. 

5 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Okay. Totally new territory. I'm almost certain I know where I'm going. But I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm in a state of disbelief. I've got the offer letter from my top choice in my bag and keep taking it out to confirm it's real. I'm still afraid they're going to contact me and tell me it was an error. 

Congratulations!!! It is UNC Chapel Hill?

On 2/16/2018 at 9:15 AM, JustPoesieAlong said:

Congrats! But also, you are totally and completely worthy of this. There is no mistake, just an honest recognition of the value you can bring to their program. You're awesome. Deep breaths :)