Fall 2018 CANADIAN universities

Allbert

9 minutes ago, A2018 said:

It means "deferred decision" 
According to their website (https://etudier.uqam.ca/traitement-demandes) that status means they need to review your transcript and other docs before making a decision. I would say it's hopeful? Imo they wanted to reject you based on what they've seen, they wouldn't have bothered asking for hard copies. But I have no experience with UQaM so I cannot say for sure :) 
Good luck!! 

Thank you ! ! Then I think there is hope because I applied for two courses and the other one they returned a very clear result: REFUSÉ. lol 

22 minutes ago, A2018 said:

It's best to ask your program's admission office. The answer depends on the schools: sometimes they let you know early so you have sufficient time to apply for a visa; other times, they have limited funding for international students so they may have to wait to confirm funding before extending offers. 

I don't have friends at UVic but when my international friends applied to schools in Ontario, they heard back around the same time as domestic students. 

Thank you for the info! I'll just reach out to admissions

I'm a Canadian from Winnipeg, I applied to UVic, McGill and SFU for Theoretical Physics (Cosmology and HEP-th), as well as American and UK schools.

I've been accepted to SFU and McGill already (got accepted to SFU on the 13th and McGill on the 22nd) with a fellowship at McGill, and UVic has shortlisted me, so we'll see about there! :)

4 minutes ago, RafiH said:

I'm a Canadian from Winnipeg, I applied to UVic, McGill and SFU for Theoretical Physics (Cosmology and HEP-th), as well as American and UK schools.

I've been accepted to SFU and McGill already (got accepted to SFU on the 13th and McGill on the 22nd) with a fellowship at McGill, and UVic has shortlisted me, so we'll see about there! :)

CONGRATULATIONS! 

So nice to hear some programs in Canada already giving out offers! I've been watching US schools giving out offers and lowkey jealous. 

It's so awesome to hear people getting some acceptances! Congratulations to all with acceptances and good luck to those who have yet to hear back! ^_^ I just emailed Toronto asking for an early response and the other school asking for an extension on the offer, so hopefully tomorrow I'll wake up to some emails LOL

An Academic advisor that I talked to at a university in BC last year told me that even though I have a BA and MA in Psychology I would not be accepted for the MA in couseling because the pre requisites they require and I have in my transcripts are ' too old'. Then, she gave me en email of a former African MA student who dropped out, recommending me to ask him why( VERY weird!!)

Then, a few months later, applying for ht MA program I submitted the pre requisites transcripts and my file was accepted to enter the competition and is now " under review".

I am not accusing anyone of anything but...i had a slight impression that maybe there was a pint of....discrimination coming from that person? ( I have South American background( Brazil) but I am Canadian). What do you think? Maybe its not after all.

5 hours ago, Allbert said:

An Academic advisor that I talked to at a university in BC last year told me that even though I have a BA and MA in Psychology I would not be accepted for the MA in couseling because the pre requisites they require and I have in my transcripts are ' too old'. Then, she gave me en email of a former African MA student who dropped out, recommending me to ask him why( VERY weird!!)

Then, a few months later, applying for ht MA program I submitted the pre requisites transcripts and my file was accepted to enter the competition and is now " under review".

I am not accusing anyone of anything but...i had a slight impression that maybe there was a pint of....discrimination coming from that person? ( I have South American background( Brazil) but I am Canadian). What do you think? Maybe its not after all.

It seems to me the advisor thinks the program isn't a good fit for you, it could be their personal discrimination, it could be that there's something in the program's culture that is discriminatory and out of this advisor's control that she wants you to be aware of? I agree that it's weird. Did you contact the student that dropped out? Tbh I would be very interested to learn why they dropped out (it might be external factors or internal factors that your advisor wasn't allowed to say) Anyway, this all sounds super odd, I'm sorry you have to deal with this! 

Are you applying to the MA program in that school? "Under review" usually means your file has been received by the grad assistant, it doesn't really mean you're accepted or anything significant. 

13 hours ago, Allbert said:

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! What an odd suggestion, though I do agree that maybe there is some other reason the student dropped out that the adviser couldn't say. 

That being said, "under review" typically means that they've received the full package now, and does not mean you are accepted or rejected. I wouldn't sweat it over that! 

Hope you get positive results :)

1 hour ago, BooksUponBooks said:

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! What an odd suggestion, though I do agree that maybe there is some other reason the student dropped out that the adviser couldn't say. 

That being said, "under review" typically means that they've received the full package now, and does not mean you are accepted or rejected. I wouldn't sweat it over that! 

Hope you get positive results :)

Hi ! Thank you for both replies. Ik that 'under review' doesn't mean acceptance. But what I meant was that if did NOT have the proper prerequisites I would be probably disqualified before without review. 

6 hours ago, Allbert said:

Hi ! Thank you for both replies. Ik that 'under review' doesn't mean acceptance. But what I meant was that if did NOT have the proper prerequisites I would be probably disqualified before without review. 

Oh, I see! Yeah, I see what you mean then. Even weirder that the adviser said something like that to you, when obviously they aren't too old. I'm glad they were wrong though!

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎30 at 8:02 PM, A2018 said:

CONGRATULATIONS! 

So nice to hear some programs in Canada already giving out offers! I've been watching US schools giving out offers and lowkey jealous. 

Impressive.  I'm high-key jealous. 

10 hours ago, BooksUponBooks said:

Hi everyone! I'm a professional writing BA who just got accepted to University of Toronto's MI program, and I couldn't be more thrilled ^_^ Here's hoping the best for everyone still waiting!

Congrats!!!!! I saw two MI iSchool posts on the Results page, one of them yours? I can't wait to hear from the PhD program :)

17 hours ago, BooksUponBooks said:

Hi everyone! I'm a professional writing BA who just got accepted to University of Toronto's MI program, and I couldn't be more thrilled ^_^ Here's hoping the best for everyone still waiting!

Congratulations and job well done. Is this your top choice ? 

On 1/28/2018 at 2:59 AM, Allbert said:

This topic is intended to share info and newz about FALL 2018 applications for Master's or PhD exclusively for CANADIAN institutions, either domestic or int'l applicants.

I am a domestic Canadian applicant , non-native speaker, and applied for Master's in Education, concentration in Counselling and PhD in Counselling. I have already MA and PhD but not in Canada/US.

GPA:  BA ( Psych): 8.1/10 ;       MA: 9.1/10 ;       PhD: B-

Publications: yes ; work experience: yes ; research experience: yes 

OISE (University of Toronto) - PhD in Counselling status: APPLED 

Western Ontario University - Master's in Education ( Counselling) statusAPPLIED

UNBC-  Master's in Education ( Counselling) status: APPLIED 

UVic - Master's in Education ( Counselling) status: APPLIED

I have a lot in common with you.

I also already have a PhD degree (from US)  and postdoc experiences. Like you, I am also an immigrant to Canada (I'm a PR). However, the academic job market in Canada in my area seems non-existent, and I applied to two clinical programs this year (UBC and Dalhousie). There are only 3 universities in Canada that offer this program in English. Hope things turn out all right for both of us.

6 hours ago, Ling_Aud said:

I have a lot in common with you.

I also already have a PhD degree (from US)  and postdoc experiences. Like you, I am also an immigrant to Canada (I'm a PR). However, the academic job market in Canada in my area seems non-existent, and I applied to two clinical programs this year (UBC and Dalhousie). There are only 3 universities in Canada that offer this program in English. Hope things turn out all right for both of us.

Wow ! This is amazing ! I am also  a PR. Have you applied for UBC  and Dalhousie only? Anyhow, we must keep in touch ! Fingers crossed!

On 2/1/2018 at 12:10 AM, BooksUponBooks said:

Congratulations! I also applied to this program so hoping I can say the same in a few weeks too.

On 2/1/2018 at 10:34 AM, A2018 said:

Congrats!!!!! I saw two MI iSchool posts on the Results page, one of them yours? I can't wait to hear from the PhD program :)

It is, thank you!!! I hope you hear back soon!! :) 

On 2/1/2018 at 5:35 PM, Gronk17 said:

Congratulations and job well done. Is this your top choice ? 

Thanks! :D It is, I went downtown and bought a sweater from the bookstore with my friend to celebrate! I'm absolutely thrilled!

12 hours ago, Allbert said:

Wow ! This is amazing ! I am also  a PR. Have you applied for UBC  and Dalhousie only? Anyhow, we must keep in touch ! Fingers crossed!

Yes, only those two schools for this round. There are only three Canadian universities offering the program I want to pursue (Audiology) in English, the third being Western. However, they seem to have a complicated application process, so I didn't apply this time. Yes, let's keep in touch!

I am a Canadian who has a BA in Human Rights (Honours) from St. Thomas University with a 3.8 GPA, three conference presentations, and work experience as a TA and a research assistant. 

I have applied to:

• University of Calgary- MA in Political Science 
  • Carleton University- MA in Legal Studies
  • York University- MA in Socio-Legal Studies 

All three programs stated that my application was under review by the department so I am anxiously waiting to hear back.

The University of Calgary did reach out to me this week to say they nominated me for a scholarship, but it is not a guarantee of admission.