Here Comes the Sun/ Waitlist Movements

I think this board has worked out well in previous years and  thought there might be some benefit in creating a space where (1) people can post if they are declining an offer, and (2) where people can post where they are wait-listed. Sure, there is no guarantee the wait-listed person will get the spot, but it's still nice to know, right? In the end, we can only take up one offer but it's possible that you were accepted at another person's dream school and waitlisted at your own and vice versa. :)

We still have quite a few schools to hear back from, but I have a feeling we will be staying on the Maryland waitlist for a while. It's the only school that would allow me to definitively keep my job and stay in the area where we are now. I adore my job--I get to do what I love (visual communications/graphic design) while supporting my incredible colleagues who are protecting immigrant women and girls through legal and social services and public policy. It's a dream. Plus Maryland is a super strong fit for husband.

Sooooo if you don't want to go to Maryland (and are in our research area), feel free to decline the offer. ;)

Y'all are killing me with these cute titles! Another great song to get stuck in my head. :wub: I love this thread--great idea! Currently wait-listed at OSU and U of Alabama (Strode). I haven't heard anything about acceptances for UA PhD programs, so I'm not sure what to think about that one. Would love to get good news from OSU and intend to wait it out.

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

Waitlisted at Penn State. They have an odd structure to their program. They want me to redo my MA (not uncommon for PhD programs). Despite having an MA from a comparable institution, if admitted, I will be required to reapply to the PhD program after completing the second year. Interesting! Grateful they are considering me. 

Waitlisted at UT’s AmStudies program. I would deeply appreciate it if folks in or on waitlist for this program and know they are taking another offer would  inform the program. This is basically my dream program and would allow my partner and I to stay where we are, while also allowing my partner to get a Masters at the program they want. I’m riding this wait train to the end of the line and reapplying if It’s a train to rejection.

2 hours ago, maengret said:

Soooo....if you get waitlisted via email from program faculty, is it customary for the "official" notification through the online application system to say "denied"? 

I would say this is unusual and that you should email the DGS to clarify. Maybe there is a mix-up of files. If a faculty member emailed informing you of the waitlist, then you can be assured that you're waitlisted, and the portal should not say "denied." I would email the DGS. 

Good luck to everyone on the waitlists!

We just received some interesting details from Boston College. The DGS said the wait list is organized by field, and that husband is "first on the wait list for 2 of the offers [they] have out; one of them has already declined [them]. So that puts [him] in a fairly strong position." She says if the other declines, then she would have to seek permission from the graduate school to make an offer to him, and they'd have to take into consideration "what's happening with the list overall and their impression of how best to reach our target number."

Such a helpful explanation, and seems somewhat promising!

UPenn waitlist checking in! It was a surprisingly detailed and generous email from the DGS which I received at 12:45am (and then replied to at 1:48am because I am ~~over-eager~~). Here's hoping in the power of group good vibes!

I'm waitlisted at UConn (English Ph.D. Rhet/Comp concentration).

It's my top choice school and I'm really hoping there's enough movement to open up a spot.

The letter was kind, but it lacked any details about the length of the waitlist. Fingers crossed!

6 hours ago, Kilos said:

I'm waitlisted at UConn (English Ph.D. Rhet/Comp concentration).

It's my top choice school and I'm really hoping there's enough movement to open up a spot.

The letter was kind, but it lacked any details about the length of the waitlist. Fingers crossed!

I am waitlisted at UConn too, but in lit. 

Also waitlisted  at UT Austin Am Studies, Delaware, Alabama (they literally accept 3 students in total for Ph.D AND MA) 

On 2/14/2018 at 1:10 PM, maengret said:

Waitlisted at Oregon State. The letter said it's a short waitlist. 

For those waitlisted at Oregon State (MA) I just declined my spot. Here's hoping it opens up for one of y'all! 

I also plan to decline my spot at UC Riverside, if anyone is waitlisted there too.