Here Comes the Sun/ Waitlist Movements

I'm right there with you @maengret, also waitlisted at Oregon State (MA).

And, I feel you @YTC --waitlisted at Penn State (MA), too :(. 

I haven't heard a peep from any of the other programs (MA or PhD) to which I applied, and I feel like I'm slowly losing what's left of my mind. I've even started dreaming about these durn applications. Anyone have any good distraction tactics? I am not good at waiting.

Also, does anyone know what the etiquette is for responding? Is it customary to send a reply email or hand written note when you've been waitlisted? 

Wishing all you folks good news and sanity! 

2 hours ago, nervousrex said:

I'm right there with you @maengret, also waitlisted at Oregon State (MA).

And, I feel you @YTC --waitlisted at Penn State (MA), too :(. 

I haven't heard a peep from any of the other programs (MA or PhD) to which I applied, and I feel like I'm slowly losing what's left of my mind. I've even started dreaming about these durn applications. Anyone have any good distraction tactics? I am not good at waiting.

Also, does anyone know what the etiquette is for responding? Is it customary to send a reply email or hand written note when you've been waitlisted? 

Wishing all you folks good news and sanity! 

Congrats-ish on the waitlist. I don't know for sure, but I think an email to say thanks and confirm your interest is good form (bascially: contact them in the same way they contacted you). If you know you don't want a spot even if you're moved up on the waitlist, then tell them that. 

Edited by maengret

Hi all!

This is my first time posting on the gradcafe (longtime lurker, first time poster, etc). I have a couple of acceptances and I've been waitlisted at Penn State. :)

I have a question, though, and y'all seem kind and knowledgable: Are the Oregon State waitlist notifications only by postal mail? I thought I was going crazy because everyone seemed to know their status and I've heard nothing (obsessively checking my spam box and looking at the application status... you know). My application still says "In Review," though, and if some notifications are only by postal mail, my mailman does have a tendency to send my mail to the wrong house.

Any insight?

PS re: @nervousrex - I think it's totally fine to send a reply email! I at least replied to my Penn State waitlist notif (partially because it asked about other prospects), thanked them for the email and their consideration, and reiterated how much I'd love to be in their program. The DGS replied within a couple of hours. :)

Thanks, @maengret and @marisawhy

And, congrats @marisawhy on the acceptances--that's awesome! Re: Oregon State waitlist notifications: I have no idea if they notify exclusively via postal mail, but my portal status also still says "in review," so don't give up on them yet. 

I'm also obsessively checking my spam folder (I wish someone would take my email away from me!). 

Have a great day, guys! 

I have also found myself on the Oregon State waitlist too, so I figured I’d join the conversation! ? For some reason it was comforting to find you all! I also received my notification as a letter in the mail.

I was wondering if anyone knew the proper etiquette of responding? Is a formal letter required to tell them I am still interested?

Thanks for your help! 

Edited by s.smith

13 hours ago, Warelin said:

@marisawhy Did you reply directly to the DGS at Penn State or did you copy the e-mail address she gave in the e-mail? I just realized that they are two separate e-mails.

They are! I replied to the email thread but changed the "to" address to the address she provided. However, when she responded it was from the first address. So... go ahead and use the one she provided? I mean, she still got it, so it works. It is a little confusing, though.

(Hi, I'm a first time poster, long time lurker!)

Waitlisted at CUNY's GC! It's my top choice, so really hoping this works out. Anybody else on the waitlist? It seems like it's organized by field,  but I'd love to know if anyone has any information about it. Best of luck to all!

1 hour ago, starrystarry said:

(Hi, I'm a first time poster, long time lurker!)

Waitlisted at CUNY's GC! It's my top choice, so really hoping this works out. Anybody else on the waitlist? It seems like it's organized by field,  but I'd love to know if anyone has any information about it. Best of luck to all!

Hey fellow CUNY waitlister! Good luck to us.

Hi all! I received a notification from Loyola University Chicago today that I've been waitlisted. It's absolutely my top choice. Has anyone else been accepted or waitlisted there? Just wondering about how many people got the same notification today. :)

Husband has now been informed that he is 'first in line' on the UMD waitlist for his field, but that they're also offering him a spot in the MA program with a 1/2 TAship. Nice try, Maryland, but we're good. ;)

Hopefully this means that the MA spot with funding can go to someone else!!

Edited by punctilious