Here Comes the Sun/ Waitlist Movements

I just declined my spot at Texas Tech. I had an additional scholarship that waived teaching for the first year, so hopefully that passes on to someone else. Also, their DGS is the kindest, most helpful person in the universe and writing that email felt like breaking my own heart! I don't know if Decliner's Guilt is a real thing, but I've got it.

9 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

I just declined my spot at Texas Tech. I had an additional scholarship that waived teaching for the first year, so hopefully that passes on to someone else. Also, their DGS is the kindest, most helpful person in the universe and writing that email felt like breaking my own heart! I don't know if Decliner's Guilt is a real thing, but I've got it.

Congrats on being one step closer to your final decision! Rejecting offers is always the hardest part but I'm sure someone will be happy for the opportunities that arise. :)

3 hours ago, emotional haircut said:

I just got an email from Saint Louis University letting me know I was waitlisted. Probably my top choice so I hope it works out!

Yay. Congrats! I hope it works out!

24 minutes ago, marisawhy said:

FINALLY got a letter from Oregon State that I'm on the waitlist. (Yes, it's dated the 12th. Uh, sidenote, how do I file a complaint with the Postal Service??)

Congrats! I've heard good things about Oregon State's MA program!

13 minutes ago, sarahchristine said:

Waitlisted at Lehigh.

Is is appropriate to respond to the email notification with something like, "hey, thanks, I'm still very interested in your program"? Or to somehow inquire about how likely it is that I move off the waitlist and when I'll know by?

If it were me, I would definitely reply that you are interested in the program and politely ask to be kept up to date of any movement in your favor. I was waitlisted at a program last year and they were very upfront with my position on it. 

30 minutes ago, sarahchristine said:

Waitlisted at Lehigh.

Is is appropriate to respond to the email notification with something like, "hey, thanks, I'm still very interested in your program"? Or to somehow inquire about how likely it is that I move off the waitlist and when I'll know by?

Congrats! Lehigh is a beautiful wooded campus and the city seems nice. :)

I believe @darcyt's recommendation is similar to the one I'd make. Depending on how they waitlist, they could give you an indication of how likely you are to move off the waitlist.

23 hours ago, emotional haircut said:

I just got an email from Saint Louis University letting me know I was waitlisted. Probably my top choice so I hope it works out!

I am waitlisted there as well.  I really wanted that one but DGS said I’m 3rd so I am not holding much hope.

1 hour ago, punctilious said:

Husband took himself off of the waitlist for Tufts. Hopefully this helps someone out!

Does that mean a 7th color is coming soon for withdrawn apps?

9 hours ago, Daenerys said:

I am waitlisted there as well.  I really wanted that one but DGS said I’m 3rd so I am not holding much hope.

I think there's hope! Most programs seem to admit 2-3x their incoming class in order to meet their target size. SLU says there are 64 grad students in their program. This equates to around 12-13 per cohort! Not everyone will accept their spot and someone in the first or second spot might reject for a different offer!

Edited by Warelin

10 hours ago, Warelin said:

That’s a great question... I’ll have to think about what color would look decent with yellow and green, since it’ll have to be like every other letter is the withdrawn color lol. 

Hey all- i’m on three waitlists (Emory, University of Wisconsin- Madison, and UVA) and would love info on acceptances/deferrals at any of them- especially Emory. Let me know if you know anything.

Edited by LMLW

13 hours ago, Warelin said:

I think there's hope! Most programs seem to admit 2-3x their incoming class in order to meet their target size. SLU says there are 64 grad students in their program. This equates to around 12-13 per cohort! Not everyone will accept their spot and someone in the first or second spot might reject for a different offer!

@Warelin I’m currently 4th on a waitlist that plans to admit 7-10 students this year. I assume that puts me in 11th, although I’m not sure. Your message just gave me a glimmer of hope again - thank you!! 

I got an email from Tennessee this morning with a decision letter that says I'm on the wait list. Also, ASU replied to an email I sent and told me that I'm on the wait list (not as formal as UTK). 

So, this means a lot more waiting during the next 1.5 months... 

Edited by Wooshkuh

On 2/28/2018 at 3:11 PM, JustPoesieAlong said:

Anyone in at OSU thinking about going somewhere else? It's really the only school I'm waiting on at this point.

I am thinking about declining my offer, but also my area is gender studies/theory, so I don't know that it'll be any use to you. :/

What are the protocols for visiting a school that you are wait listed at? Do you ask about the possibility of visiting? Wait until you get off the wait list? 

Past results make it seem like people get accepted off the wait list close to April 15 sometimes. In that case, there wouldn't really be time to visit, right? 

5 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

What are the protocols for visiting a school that you are wait listed at? Do you ask about the possibility of visiting? Wait until you get off the wait list? 

Past results make it seem like people get accepted off the wait list close to April 15 sometimes. In that case, there wouldn't really be time to visit, right? 

I emailed USC and asked if they invite waitlisted students to visit day and though I’m not sure it’s something they usually do I got a super positive response. They invited me to come and mentioned that I may well be a regular admit at that point. I do live in LA though and made sure to mention that to indicate that I wouldn’t be needing any funds for the visit. So I’d say it’s a good idea to email and ask!