Here Comes the Sun/ Waitlist Movements

4 hours ago, marisawhy said:

Anyone else get an email from Oregon State about movement on the waitlist?

update: I'm accepted off the waitlist!!!

May the waitlist dominoes begin to fall in everyone's favor! :D

Edited by marisawhy

It's so great to see some waitlist movement happening in people's favor! Congratulations to everybody who's received great news.

I'm still on what UConn called a "selective waitlist" (Ph.D. Rhet/Comp concentration) but I haven't heard any additional news. I'm not expecting anything for another few weeks, but that doesn't stop me from jumping every time my phone beeps.

Positive thoughts to everybody still waiting for news.

I moved off of the wait list into admissions at UCR. I got the unofficial, I'm waiting on the official. I'll be turning down my acceptance and wait list for funding at UNL once that comes through and my wait list at Tennessee's MFA program (which was just for ego, and it was cool to be wait listed for my poetry but I'd prefer to get my PhD). 

21 hours ago, katie64 said:

Is it expected to inquire about your status on the waitlist, or wait for the school to contact you? 

I don't think it's really expected, but it doesn't hurt if you want more information. My advisor said it's totally cool to call or email to reiterate your interest in the program and ask generally about the waitlist--so not really "Am I near the top?" but more of "Based on past years, when have you started to go into your waitlist? How far into your waitlist do you normally go?" --especially if the program is near the top of your personal list.

21 hours ago, katie64 said:

Is it expected to inquire about your status on the waitlist, or wait for the school to contact you? 

I have had really detailed responses from simply asking if they can give me information on how the waitlist works (e.g. is it ranked or is it by field). I’ve asked this twice and on both occasions I was told where I was on the waitlist, how it works, and how likely an offer of admission is. Good luck! 

On 3/15/2018 at 3:20 PM, mk-8 said:

Declined an offer from Texas Tech's TCR program- hopefully this helps someone out!

Hi, mk-8. I'm brand-spanking-new to posting here, so I apologize if my question is inappropriate. I'm trying to make a decision about a few comp/rhet options and I'm also leaning toward declining my TTU offer. I only applied to three programs but I've been waiting to hear from the last one before making any decisions. I feel bad holding onto spots that should be filled by those on waitlists, though.

Probably a PM would be a better venue to discuss this, but I'm wondering what's led to your decision to decline TTU's offer.

27 minutes ago, StarlingFlurry said:

Hi, mk-8. I'm brand-spanking-new to posting here, so I apologize if my question is inappropriate. I'm trying to make a decision about a few comp/rhet options and I'm also leaning toward declining my TTU offer. I only applied to three programs but I've been waiting to hear from the last one before making any decisions. I feel bad holding onto spots that should be filled by those on waitlists, though.

Probably a PM would be a better venue to discuss this, but I'm wondering what's led to your decision to decline TTU's offer.

I’ll PM you :)

Found out yesterday that I have been admitted to St. Louis University in rhetoric and composition. I was originally third on the waiting list.

I’m pretty happy about this one.  Admitted students day is April 6, which I will attend. I think I will most likely enroll, though I won’t make a final decision until I visit the department.

For me this makes two admissions, two wait lists still pending, and two schools that I have heard nothing from. I finally emailed Purdue to find out what was up with them, and they replied saying that my application was still active and would remain so until April 15. 

8 hours ago, Daenerys said:

I finally emailed Purdue to find out what was up with them, and they replied saying that my application was still active and would remain so until April 15. 

Oh, Purdue...

I haven't heard from Purdue either. Neither has my friend, who applied for their computer science PhD program. Frustrating! 

I emailed Tennessee on Friday inquiring more about the waitlist, and might email Oklahoma and Louisville towards the end of the week to see if anything's changed. 

Just declined two MA offers (CMU was painful, but I just don't have $20k+ to spare for a Masters). Nobody's really posted about being waitlisted for those programs, and I don't usually believe in karma, but hopefully this comes back to help us all waitlisted at other places. :)

(Also I'm naturally having a minor freakout because I only have one definite offer left. This will probably drag on close to April 15th.)

On 3/16/2018 at 6:22 PM, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Hey, friends - I just declined a spot at Delaware and a spot at Buffalo. I am really hoping that helps someone here get in! 

If I learn anything from the depts that is helpful, I'll be sure to pass it along, too.

Have you heard anything from Temple?

Has anyone heard anything from Temple about funding?  They're my top choice!!!

Waitlisted for funding at Syracuse. Really hoping that I get funded as it is tied for my top choice. So if anyone got accepted to the English Lit MA and is planning to decline, please do so sooner rather than later! :D