Here Comes the Sun/ Waitlist Movements

I jut reached out to the program where I am waitlisted to ask if there has been any movement. There unfortunately has not been, but the DGS asked in her reply if I am considering any other programs. How exactly do I respond to this? I think I would commit to this program if admitted, but I do have a program that I will attend if not. 

@sarahchristine be honest! You can definitely say they're your number one but still let them know you have other offers. One of my waitlisted programs told me to keep them updated because, if I got an offer from one of their competitors and was accepted off their waitlist, the DGS would use that info to bully the Dean for more funding for me. 

To my fellow waitlisted: If you're waitlisted at a school you know you would accept but also have an offer from a program you like, how long are you waiting to hear back from the waitlist? I've been thinking evening April 14th/morning April 15th at the latest but is that too late? What are your thoughts?

2 hours ago, marisawhy said:

To my fellow waitlisted: If you're waitlisted at a school you know you would accept but also have an offer from a program you like, how long are you waiting to hear back from the waitlist? I've been thinking evening April 14th/morning April 15th at the latest but is that too late? What are your thoughts?

I am also interested in how this is going to play out for me, because I think I am going to wait out my spot at UW. I haven’t even gone so far as to think about the logistics of waiting till that very last day if I have to — I am hoping it won’t come to that. UW has been great at communicating with me about the waitlist and mentioned that they would do their best to move things along on their end before I accept any other program. In fact I was told not to accept anywhere else before giving them a chance to “move things along.” I think open communication with your waitlist school is key! Regardless I feel I am in for a very stressful end to this application season! 

4 hours ago, marisawhy said:

I owe an answer to Wake Forest by April 15th, and it's looking like I'm going to be waiting until the 15th to respond to them. I want to wait for a definitive answer from the program I am waitlisted at (as well as Purdue, where I am trapped in the purgatory of their unofficial waitlist), who told me that they may not have that answer for me until the 15th.

10 hours ago, marisawhy said:

I know on the Rhet/Comp thread the other day I said I'd probably only wait until the 1st, but that's so soon! Madison has said that's when they prefer to hear by (though I officially have until the 15th) and while I would be really happy to go there, my feelings about Pittsburgh are strong enough that I want to wait it out. 

Here's hoping they put me out of my misery (one way or the other) soon. 

14 hours ago, marisawhy said:

I am also considering this and would like to hear what others are doing! Sidenote: is the official deadline the night of April 15th? Or do programs need to know before April 15th? I get very stressed by wording about missing deadlines

12 hours ago, clinamen said:

UW has been great at communicating with me about the waitlist and mentioned that they would do their best to move things along on their end before I accept any other program. In fact I was told not to accept anywhere else before giving them a chance to “move things along.” I think open communication with your waitlist school is key! Regardless I feel I am in for a very stressful end to this application season! 

That sounds very positive! I hope this works out to good news for you! The school I'm waiting on is being very vague about most things, though they've said they often go into their waitlist and, while they try not to let it come to this, offers are often made on April 15th.

11 hours ago, sarahchristine said:

I owe an answer to Wake Forest by April 15th, and it's looking like I'm going to be waiting until the 15th to respond to them. 

Good to know I'm not the only one feeling like this!

5 hours ago, bumbleblu said:

I know on the Rhet/Comp thread the other day I said I'd probably only wait until the 1st, but that's so soon! Madison has said that's when they prefer to hear by (though I officially have until the 15th) and while I would be really happy to go there, my feelings about Pittsburgh are strong enough that I want to wait it out. 

Here's hoping they put me out of my misery (one way or the other) soon. 

I hope for good news! I had a program pressuring me to decide early and other programs (including my waitlists) were unhappy (sometimes angry) about that (though this program's official deadline was early). In other words--don't feel bad if you want to make them wait for it (but if you want it over, go for it!).

52 minutes ago, Cassifrassidy said:

Sidenote: is the official deadline the night of April 15th? Or do programs need to know before April 15th? I get very stressed by wording about missing deadlines

I read my official offer documents and they said "Return no later than April 15th." I think that's where the language would be more specific.

Just turned down offers at Miami University, Florida State, Georgia State, and Virginia Tech. All rhet/comp. Hope this helps someone out! 

33 minutes ago, katie64 said:

Just watching this forum slowly die since everyone is leaving after making decisions, while I am still on four funding waitlists...

I empathize! I, too, applied primarily to MA programs and am still waiting for updates...here's hoping we hear back soon! 

10 hours ago, katie64 said:

Just watching this forum slowly die since everyone is leaving after making decisions, while I am still on four funding waitlists...

I have three waitlists, so I'm still checking this every day! :lol:

12 hours ago, katie64 said:

12 hours ago, Conradical said:

I empathize! I, too, applied primarily to MA programs and am still waiting for updates...here's hoping we hear back soon! 

2 hours ago, marisawhy said:

I have three waitlists, so I'm still checking this every day! :lol:

Also an MA application, also waiting on waitlists. Let's be miserable together, lol.