Waitlist Success Stories for Hope

kristincas

Can anyone share waitlist success stories to encourage others through the waitlist process? There are some similar old threads that have been encouraging to me in the past, and I would like to revitalize the conversation. Did you or anyone you know come out on top against all odds or start the season off only being waitlisted?

Well, I started this post for inspiration, but now I will post here to inspire others. After finishing interviews this cycle, I was waitlisted without interview at one university and waitlisted after interview at three universities. I have since been admitted to my top choice! I hope that others start getting admissions offers as those with multiple offers make decisions. The last few months have been such an emotional roller coaster!

@kristincas  Thank you for starting this thread. I'm currently on a waitlist too and I was wondering if you recommend individuals on a waitlist to wait it out or to reach out to POIs/admission committees? I'm leaning towards just waiting it out. How did it work out for you? Thanks in advance!

@worried2018I’ve contacted a POI and it seems positive. Not that it has gotten me bumped up, but it seems like it was a good idea given the warm response back.

waitlist success story: one of my recommenders got in off the waitlist at UCLA (English), where she got her PhD.

Thanks for sharing your success story @CulturalCriminal!

As for waitlist etiquette @worried2018, I only reached out a couple times to department grad admissions coordinators/admins to check on my waitlist status after a month or so. I took a pretty relaxed approach since it's pretty early in the season still for my program type, but I've read through a lot of threads and some people have had quite a bit of success by pinging programs regularly and staying in regular contact with POIs. I would just follow your instinct! Are you only on one waitlist? Are you accepted but waiting for a top choice? What's your story?

I'm wait listed at my #1 school. Is the consensus that it is acceptable (or encouraged) to email the program to reiterate your interest. Is it ok to mention that I was accepted at two other programs but the school I am wait listed at is my #1 choice and that I will be waiting for their decision? 

Sorry to post my anxiety on your positive vibes thread lol. Thanks for any advice!

On 3/21/2018 at 5:26 PM, GrlyFlynn said:

I'm wait listed at my #1 school. Is the consensus that it is acceptable (or encouraged) to email the program to reiterate your interest. Is it ok to mention that I was accepted at two other programs but the school I am wait listed at is my #1 choice and that I will be waiting for their decision? 

Sorry to post my anxiety on your positive vibes thread lol. Thanks for any advice!

You're not posting your anxiety - my goodness! Thanks for sharing your experience in this thread. I don't know if you really need to mention other acceptances. I would just stress your enthusiasm about this specific program and restate your interest and passion. Has anything happened since you last posted? Maybe there will be some movement as April 15 approaches!

I was waitlisted at one of my schools. 2 weeks later I received an acceptance offer from the school under the terms that I join a specific persons lab. Basically, the school didn't have funding for me, but one of the faculty members wanted me badly enough he attained full funding for me from his grant, so I got into to the program! 

I have yet to hear back from Portland State University. I have been denied twice and accepted at UMASS Amherst for an MPH program. I emailed Portland last week and they responded by saying I would hear back by April 15th but it is killing me to hear back because this is my top school! I have until April 15th to hear back from Portland and UMASS gave me until April 15th to decide whether I will be accepting or declining the acceptance.....I am exhausted and so stressed because I need to start figuring out my plans for the summer but it ALL depends on Portland State. 

I was waitlisted for funding at one of my top choices and just funded there!!!  I paid for a trip to visit the school myself and told the director while I was there that this is my top choice but I have to make a decision about my other funded offers by April 15th.  Shortly after getting home from the airport, I received an email with a funding offer.  I definitely think visiting and showing that I really wanted to go there helped my chances.  Best of luck to everyone still waiting!!

Just got off the waitlist from my top choice!!! It's been a long road (they replied to an email this morning saying they might not have the waitlist decided before April 15 and I should ask my other school for an extension) and I was put on the waitlist over a month ago. I have NOT handled waiting well but I'm in shock right now.

Got off the phone with my top choice about an hour ago, and they told me I am number one. They said they were calling another student they made an offer to (idk if they were calling to make the offer or calling to check on the offer). Fingers crossed that I get off the waitlist!

I got a call yesterday admitting me into my top choice from off of the waitlist. This is after every other school I applied to this cycle declined to admit me. Keep hope alive!