Psych Master Programs that will be good for PhD preparation

Pugislife

Hi! 

So I am still in search of reputed master programmes that prepare strong candidates for future Ph.D. application in the U.S. I want to specialize in clinical child psychology/ developmental neuropsychology.  

Thoughts? (I am quite desperate and open to new ideas, I appreciate any advice!) Many thanks!  

Not sure if it would be the best for a PhD in the US (although people often do their M thesis there), there are quite some terminal research masters degrees in Europe (eg Netherlands). Most grads end up in PhDs although predominantly across Europe (partly because the system works differently). they will give you a lot of research experience and tend to be cheaper than American ones (I paid 5000 USD for a 2yr degree). 

I know my home uni (Vrije Universiteit) has one in clinical/developmental psych.

Maybe too crazy idea haha

A colleague of mine went to San Diego State University for their M.A. in Psychology, which specifically prepares students to become competitive for Ph.D programs. She's now a doctoral student at the University of Alabama's Ph.D Clinical Psychology Program. I've also heard that the M.A. Psychology program at Wake Forest University is quite solid, though it's more geared towards those who are strongly considering a research career. 

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

I am also in search of good MA/MS programs to prepare for doctoral studiese. Some that I have found that seem promising include Southern Illinois at Edwardsville, Illinois State, U of Memphis, and New Mexico Highlands.  Wake Forest, William and Mary, and UNC - Wilmington all have awesome programs, but are nearly as competitive as a lot of the doctoral programs I've looked at.

Hope this helps! If anyone else has ideas, I would love to hear them !

I am also seeking advice about which master program to attend in order to be more prepared for a PhD program. I have a choice between an MA in Forensic Psychology and an MA in Clinical Psychology with a focus in Forensics. I ultimately am seeking a PhD in Clinical Psychology with an emphasis in Forensics. My dilemma is this: you don't technically need a masters in order to attend the PhD program, however I am set on attending one of the two programs mentioned above. There is significant overlap in class requirements between the clinical Masters program and the clinical PhD program, however, most PhD programs will only accept 12 transfer credit hours. I do not want to complete 2 years of schooling just to repeat some of the same courses in my doctoral study. In addition, the clinical psychology masters program does not culminate in licensure. Should I attend the program that will count some classes towards my doctoral degree or should I complete the program that will provide me with a deeper knowledge in the forensic aspect before completing the clinical part? Any advice would be appreciated

I got into Northern Arizona who (it seems from their website) has reworked their MA program to be more like a pre-doctoral masters. It looks like they've tried to restructure to better prepare students for PhD programs, which is why I applied there (also because Flagstaff is a really cool town). They also offer at least partial funding which is a definite plus. 

On 4/5/2018 at 4:26 PM, psytillidie said:

I got into Northern Arizona who (it seems from their website) has reworked their MA program to be more like a pre-doctoral masters. It looks like they've tried to restructure to better prepare students for PhD programs, which is why I applied there (also because Flagstaff is a really cool town). They also offer at least partial funding which is a definite plus. 

Oh good to know! I was actually just perusing their website the other day, and though that their program looked really promising and offering funding is a huuuge plus. Adding it to my list !

On 4/4/2018 at 11:43 AM, BrookeS17 said:

I am also seeking advice about which master program to attend in order to be more prepared for a PhD program. I have a choice between an MA in Forensic Psychology and an MA in Clinical Psychology with a focus in Forensics. I ultimately am seeking a PhD in Clinical Psychology with an emphasis in Forensics. My dilemma is this: you don't technically need a masters in order to attend the PhD program, however I am set on attending one of the two programs mentioned above. There is significant overlap in class requirements between the clinical Masters program and the clinical PhD program, however, most PhD programs will only accept 12 transfer credit hours. I do not want to complete 2 years of schooling just to repeat some of the same courses in my doctoral study. In addition, the clinical psychology masters program does not culminate in licensure. Should I attend the program that will count some classes towards my doctoral degree or should I complete the program that will provide me with a deeper knowledge in the forensic aspect before completing the clinical part? Any advice would be appreciated

A MA program is certainly not necessary for admittance into a PhD program. In fact, I'd even say it isn't the norm at all. If a clinical program is your ultimate goal, I think the clinical MA would be the better option. 

Again, the most important thing is your research experience when it comes to programs. Your MA is almost pointless unless you obtained good research experience in that time. You should look at the faculty research between the 2 programs and see what would interest you/where the openings are. 

Forensics is a specific goal, however, and you may want to contact people who specialize in that for more targeted advice. 

I did my master's at Fairleigh Dickinson metro campus and got in, but a lot of my classmates didn't. It's a good program but it's what you make of it -- I volunteered in 2 doctoral labs, was able to waive myself into several doctoral level courses, and made it a point to take advantage of all opportunities given to me. A lot of my classmates didn't do that and I'm assuming that's why they didn't get in. If at all possible try to go to a program that will license you at the end just in case you don't get into a PhD program. Before going to FDU I was strongly considering Lehigh's program because you are in the track to earn your LPC and they have a strong research emphasis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 3/12/2018 at 8:12 AM, PokePsych said:

Not sure if it would be the best for a PhD in the US (although people often do their M thesis there), there are quite some terminal research masters degrees in Europe (eg Netherlands). Most grads end up in PhDs although predominantly across Europe (partly because the system works differently). they will give you a lot of research experience and tend to be cheaper than American ones (I paid 5000 USD for a 2yr degree). 

I know my home uni (Vrije Universiteit) has one in clinical/developmental psych.

Maybe too crazy idea haha

Are you currently studying in the US? Due to financial constraints, I am thinking of applying to cheaper masters program outside US. I have already missed the application deadlines of the Universities in India (home country), how difficult do you think is the jump after getting a masters from say Netherlands to getting into a doctoral program in the US?  

23 hours ago, local_panda said:

Are you currently studying in the US? Due to financial constraints, I am thinking of applying to cheaper masters program outside US. I have already missed the application deadlines of the Universities in India (home country), how difficult do you think is the jump after getting a masters from say Netherlands to getting into a doctoral program in the US?  

I am.

It would probably be more helpful than no master's degree. However, the thing is that people still 'look down' on non-US degrees (even though objectivley I received a lot better training there). But, being here now for a while, what really matters is social networks. There's a lot of nepotism involved, at least in psych, so its helpful if the PI knows the other people you work with. 

On 3/12/2018 at 5:32 AM, Pugislife said:

Hi! 

So I am still in search of reputed master programmes that prepare strong candidates for future Ph.D. application in the U.S. I want to specialize in clinical child psychology/ developmental neuropsychology.  

Thoughts? (I am quite desperate and open to new ideas, I appreciate any advice!) Many thanks!  

I am getting my MA from SIUE and I love it! Full disclosure, I am in the adult program, but the child program is great too. Most of us are fully funded + complete a yearlong clinical practice and thesis. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 12:53 PM, PokePsych said:

I am.

It would probably be more helpful than no master's degree. However, the thing is that people still 'look down' on non-US degrees (even though objectivley I received a lot better training there). But, being here now for a while, what really matters is social networks. There's a lot of nepotism involved, at least in psych, so its helpful if the PI knows the other people you work with. 

I totally agree. If you already know the area of research that you would like to work on or better yet the persons of interests you would like to work with in a PhD program, I would look up their google scholar and identify their collaborators/advisors/past students. Then I would see if the institutions of your POIs or their collaborators/advisors/past students have masters programs that could allow you establish relationship with and hopefully conduct research with these people.