Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

1 hour ago, colo19 said:

Do schools even update your online application status upon rejection? I applied to UNC for Clinical and am aware they've already sent out interview invites (the home page of the program even says so) but I was never notified and my application status still just shows "submitted." 

A little frustrating that they can't even send a mass email to let me know ? 

I received a mass rejection email from a program like two weeks ago and my application still says "submitted" so I don't think that they all update their portals.

1 hour ago, Psychedoutandworried said:

Here I am... roasting in application purgatory lol. I’ve heard back from from 0 programs, not even a rejection. I’ve presumed rejection from all but one at this point. Can I follow up on the status of my application now (all were December 1st deadlines)? I just want closure ?

I think so. I called all my programs yesterday to ask if interview requests had gone out (they had) and they were all pretty chill about it. Although just to warn you - for me, it doesn't really feel like closure until that rejection email hits your inbox.

Edited by ellamarie123

1 hour ago, ellamarie123 said:

I think so. I called all my programs yesterday to ask if interview requests had gone out (they had) and they were all pretty chill about it. Although just to warn you - for me, it doesn't really feel like closure until that rejection email hits your inbox.

I am so here for this. My schools are already done with interviews or have posted interview days this week (which I am clearly not invited to) and still I cant let it go. Its like there's a little endless optimist/masochist deep down in my soul that keeps saying "hey, that next email will be the one!" - I need to see a firm rejection to kick start this mourning and moving on phase .

If anyone is interviewing at UCLA on Friday congratulations -  please tell me, that'll help nail the coffin on that one!

42 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

I feel like interview invites have gone out for everywhere at this point...

19 minutes ago, JoePianist said:

They have for most part now :(

Depends on the program/ track! Seems like a lot of clinical, but I/O for example is a bit slower

4 minutes ago, davidfreire20 said:

In terms of in-person interviews, is it your POI interviewing a bunch of people or is it like one invite per POI and the weekend is like each POI interviewing one person? 

I think the norm is each POI interviewing ~5 people. But I've seen some interview ~10 if they're interested in taking a couple students, and I had a POI interview just 2 of us.

Just now, psychizkool said:

I think the norm is each POI interviewing ~5 people. But I've seen some interview ~10 if they're interested in taking a couple students, and I had a POI interview just 2 of us.

Were you given your own time or was it a group interview (I hate group interviews #barf)

45 minutes ago, psychizkool said:

We each interviewed individually! As far as I know group interviews are very uncommon.

From what I've noticed, the research-based programs (PhDs mainly) tend to do a lot of individual interviews to test for fit with your POI, lab, and current students. The PsyD programs have a TON of group interviews because they want to see how you react to other people / how you are in a room (e.g. a predictor of what kind of clinician you'll be). 

Personally I hate group interviews, everyone is always trying to one-up each other and appears really fake, but it is what it is.

Edited by dancedementia

2 hours ago, olddognewtricks said:

I am so here for this. My schools are already done with interviews or have posted interview days this week (which I am clearly not invited to) and still I cant let it go. Its like there's a little endless optimist/masochist deep down in my soul that keeps saying "hey, that next email will be the one!" - I need to see a firm rejection to kick start this mourning and moving on phase .

If anyone is interviewing at UCLA on Friday congratulations -  please tell me, that'll help nail the coffin on that one!

I am interviewing at UCLA on Friday (weather permitting!), sorry. 

Edited by Psyhopeful

3 minutes ago, philopsych said:

Does anyone have a link to that google doc (I think it's a google doc...) of admissions results? I've been digging through old posts and I can't find it. Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hJFI7od93wXNHfLiUl0pv4lPUsueRmVg_6N85xgFQd8 Here ya go!

I got an email from one of the Mizzou POIs saying that he's been out of town and just starting to look at application for the cognition and neuroscience program. I think some of the non-clinical/counseling programs are still figuring stuff out. At least I'm hoping.

Hey yall! Does anyone have any information about how many applications University of Missouri-St. Louis (UMSL) received this year for their Clinical Psych Ph.D. program? Or how many interview slots were extended? (I don't see any admissions info online for any year)

And what about for University of South Alabama's Clinical-Counseling Psych Ph.D. program?

Just a first-time interviewer tryna see her odds. Thank you!!

Edited by gottagetthedata

2 hours ago, gottagetthedata said:

Hey yall! Does anyone have any information about how many applications University of Missouri-St. Louis (UMSL) received this year for their Clinical Psych Ph.D. program? Or how many interview slots were extended? (I don't see any admissions info online for any year)

And what about for University of South Alabama's Clinical-Counseling Psych Ph.D. program?

Insiders Guide says for UMSL 167 applied and 9 accepted. South Bama, 130 applied and 10 accepted. These are numbers from the 2017 cycle. Not for this year, but better than nothing!

Edited by dancedementia

4 hours ago, gottagetthedata said:

So from the mail I got from UMSL, They had 160 applications and they're filling 5 slots. If they interview 3 students for each slot, we're looking at 15. If they interview 5 for each slot, you're looking at 25 persons.

P.S: I didn't get an interview.

1 hour ago, Oluwachristabel said:

So from the mail I got from UMSL, They had 160 applications and they're filling 5 slots. If they interview 3 students for each slot, we're looking at 15. If they interview 5 for each slot, you're looking at 25 persons.

P.S: I didn't get an interview.

So only about 3% of those who applied for UMSL’s doctoral Clinical Psychology program will ultimately get a spot this year — that’s about the typical norm for doctorate Clinical Psychology programs that offer guaranteed funding for students 

Edited by JoePianist

3 minutes ago, PsychGal said:

Anyone have info on Northwestern Feinberg, St. John’s, or University of a Washington (Seattle) for clinical psych interview invites? Hard to know their timeline!

Also I just saw someone posted an interview to St. John’s! Was it a mass email or from POI? Feel free to PM me please! ?