Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

It doesn't hurt to read up on them but it also probably doesn't matter. I just got back from a weekend with 5 interviews, kinda knew what 1 of 5 did (maybe 2-3 because I talked to their grad students before them). The main thing is just being able to talk about your own work/interests/goals and be able to engage in a conversation about their work and the program broadly.

The grad student meetings will probably mostly be about the program, rather than an official interview.

Edited by round2_

1 hour ago, davidfreire20 said:

In your experience how does it work in terms of faculty interviewing you who aren't your POI? Is it usually more than one? Did you look up their research too or just your POI?

Differs per school. To the schools I've interviewed in, and all but one that I will be interviewing in, yeah -- more than one faculty that isn't my POI. Up to four extra 1 on 1 interviews. Yes, I looked up their research too, but obviously not much in depth unless there was overlap. Basically just their webpage bios. If there was some overlap, skimming their CV and their article abstracts.

47 minutes ago, round2_ said:

It doesn't hurt to read up on them but it also probably doesn't matter. I just got back from a weekend with 5 interviews, kinda knew what 1 of 5 did (maybe 2-3 because I talked to their grad students before them). The main thing is just being able to talk about your own work/interests/goals and be able to engage in a conversation about their work and the program broadly.

The grad student meetings will probably mostly be about the program, rather than an official interview.

Yeah, agreed with it not mattering. Mostly it was repeats of what my POI already asked me. Generic shit. Agreed -- main thing is being able to talk about your own experience/interests/goals.

Edited by 21n14l

2 minutes ago, 21n14l said:

Differs per school. To the schools I've interviewed in, and all but one that I will be interviewing in, yeah -- more than one faculty that isn't my POI. Up to four extra 1 on 1 interviews. Yes, I looked up their research too, but obviously not much in depth unless there was overlap. Basically just their webpage bios. If there was some overlap, skimming their CV and their article abstracts.

Do they usually send you a schedule beforehand? My interview is next weekend (not this weekend) and so far haven't heard much.

10 minutes ago, davidfreire20 said:

Do they usually send you a schedule beforehand? My interview is next weekend (not this weekend) and so far haven't heard much.

Not a specific one, in my experience. Specific schedule was during orientation, day-of the interview. 

1 hour ago, ellamarie123 said:

Hey! Just called the department. I was informed that they are still reviewing applications, and they do not have an interview date (everything is done at the discretion of faculty members as we thought). She said if we haven't heard anything by the beginning of February, that's not a good sign.  Hope this helps!

Hahaha, oh no. Guess we'll have to wait till the 10th of February (approx) before we assume anything. Thank you so much for this information! And good luck, I hope you hear good news very, very soon! 

has anyone confirmed that Stony Brook is DONE sending interview invites? *sorry too many messages and threads to go thru, but I know people have gotten invites already but have they all been sent?

27 minutes ago, psych5ever said:

has anyone confirmed that Stony Brook is DONE sending interview invites? *sorry too many messages and threads to go thru, but I know people have gotten invites already but have they all been sent?

What program did you apply for? I received acceptance for the Social Psychology program, and was invited to visit the campus 12/12-12/14. I think interviews are happening that week for all programs.

Can anyone confirm if Adelphi, City College or Fairleigh Dickinson are finished sending interview invites? I have a feeling they are, but might as well ask after seeing some invites extended in the results section - congrats to whoever you are! :D If anyone could also provide POI initials via one of the threads or in a PM (if you'd be comfortable), that'd be very appreciated!

Additionally: has anyone heard from St. John's University or Kean University yet? :mellow:

35 minutes ago, PhDHopeful18 said:

What program did you apply for? I received acceptance for the Social Psychology program, and was invited to visit the campus 12/12-12/14. I think interviews are happening that week for all programs.

clinical psych, did you mean 2/12-2/14? applications for clinical psych weren't due until 12/15 haha.

Thanks and congrats!

22 hours ago, psychizkool said:

It really varies a lot. At a recent interview, they told us not to freak out if it happened to be months until we heard back, because the program also has to wait until they know exactly how many students they can fund. It did turn out they made offers the following week though lol. 

After another interview, I heard back about waitlist status from one POI after maybe a week, and a rejection from the other POI after maybe a month, when the program had told us to expect to hear back in 2 weeks.

so if it's been a while, it could just be because they don't yet know how many offers they can make.

best of luck!!

22 hours ago, ClinPsych2019 said:

I’m not sure about waitlist status...also I’m sure it’s different for different schools! I would think they would send out waitlist pretty quick as well so maybe they just haven’t made decisions yet!!

20 hours ago, TiredOfApps said:

In my experience it varies a lot by program. I've interviewed at one program where they said they take a long time (4-6 weeks, maybe longer) and not to expect to hear from them for a while. The same school - the professor said I should be hearing from them in a few weeks. I wound up waitlisted at most schools I didn't hear back from (including that school). I wouldn't stress if they don't immediately get back to you - there's no way of knowing if it actually means anything and highly depends on the school and department in my experience. 

thanks everyone! I actually ended up hearing from them yesterday and it was fantastic news!

1 hour ago, psych5ever said:

Considering their last clinical interview date is next week, I would assume they have all been sent out. Good luck with your other programs!

Do schools even update your online application status upon rejection? I applied to UNC for Clinical and am aware they've already sent out interview invites (the home page of the program even says so) but I was never notified and my application status still just shows "submitted." 

A little frustrating that they can't even send a mass email to let me know ? 

18 minutes ago, colo19 said:

Do schools even update your online application status upon rejection? I applied to UNC for Clinical and am aware they've already sent out interview invites (the home page of the program even says so) but I was never notified and my application status still just shows "submitted." 

A little frustrating that they can't even send a mass email to let me know ? 

In this particular case, I personally know that I am for sure rejected because I followed up w my POI after a phone interview. My status hasn't changed, either, though. I assume they will send out an email eventually, but I do think it is probably safe to say that if you haven't heard, it isn't good news. 

Here I am... roasting in application purgatory lol. I’ve heard back from from 0 programs, not even a rejection. I’ve presumed rejection from all but one at this point. Can I follow up on the status of my application now (all were December 1st deadlines)? I just want closure ?

On 1/24/2019 at 9:32 AM, NeuroPh said:

I haven't heard anything from USC or seen any results posted for non-clinical. For clinical, there were a couple interview invitations posted on the results page on Jan 10.

Any other updates for USC, in particular non-clinical?

Thanks!