Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

3 minutes ago, yikespsych said:

Please update if/when you hear back! I called today but got a voicemail. Dying to know whether I'm waitlisted or not.

2 minutes ago, ClinicalApplicant2019 said:

Please do let us know what they say in their update!

I will!! And yeah, back when I was submitting my application I needed to call and ask them something and also got voicemail...they're hard to reach in my opinion.

1 hour ago, FreudEgg said:

Personally, I think it's totally  fine to send a nice email just asking if it's possible to check on the status of your application, or give the office a call and ask if they are aware of when invites will be extended. Good luck!

Thanks! I will probably do that ?

On 2/1/2019 at 10:05 PM, yikespsych said:

I’m waiting on duke too!! If we haven’t hear anything, does that mean potential waitlist? Just checked my application portal and still no status update.

I'm wondering the same thing! Haven't heard back and am dying to know!

On 2/3/2019 at 4:44 PM, higaisha said:

This is a really delicate balance, but something you won't know until you try. I did this at interviews and had it backfire horribly on me, and other times it suggested I was well read and knew more intricacies about the topic than most. From what I know now, I would err on the side of caution. It's one thing to bring in new ideas, but its another thing to bring in a whole new direction to the lab which may leave PIs scratching their heads. Doesn't mean your ideas aren't relevant, good or pertinent to the lab's topic, but I think PIs would rather take a more safe and "sure" pick than to go out on a limb and choose someone with fascinating ideas and future directions which may not align as well with their work.

/rant start

I tend to be on the more daring end with my ideas and I have no regrets because it really does help both parties assess fit. I'm not going to do something I even marginally dislike, and I'm putting it out there as diplomatically as possible for my PI as well so they can get an idea of whether they'd want my ideas there or not. I could have very easily manipulated my interests in ways which would have improved my chances and fit, but I chose to stay true to my own interests. This is a hardass way of looking at things, and is likely not the best way to go by things unless you're sure you can sell your ideas (and you're egotistical and ballsy enough to give it a try--haha). The way I see it, I want to be at the place which is ideal for me. I don't mind re-applying instead of going somewhere where I'd be meh happy with, also my main interest is research so that is a very big factor I weigh. Big balancing act with this.

/rant over

Anyone else have thoughts about this? 

I really like this approach. I've had those feelings percolating but haven't articulated them. I also advocate staying true to your own interests and not compromising your passion just to become accepted to a lab. I feel like I meet so many applicants who are willing to go to the first place that accepts them, even though it's a 5+ year commitment that they're deciding about. Manipulating your statement and your responses to an interview, particularly about what you want to research might be one of those situations where you need to beware what you ask for. That said, I do understand that people have more internal 'milestone clocks' and might not want to stop 'making moves'. I'm biased since I'm an older applicant.

One of the schools I applied to sent out interview invites like 3 weeks ago, and I didn't receive one so I presumed rejection. The interviews happen in  a few weeks. I reached out to the program to confirm the status of my app (for closure) and they said my app is "still pending review". How would you guys take that? No one has posted rejections/WL for this program. I was expecting a legit rejection, and now I'm more confused!! 

Has anyone heard anything from Miami's Community Well-Being program post-interview? I believe interviews were rolling through last week and we should be hearing back this week/next, but I absolutely fell in love with the program during interviews and am dying waiting. 

16 minutes ago, TheEternalGrad said:

Yeah! Even though I didn't apply there, still made me cringe really hard... 

Yes! Scary! I'm wondering what applicants' experiences were like when interviewing; especially with those POIs. I mean, if you meet with current students during the interviews, how can they fake pleasure with the program?

35 minutes ago, shockwave457 said:

2 days until fly out for interview 0.0 it's getting real y'all

It all kind of starts hitting you right before you're supposed to leave. Before that everything seems normal and then bam you have your interview out of nowhere. You got this though!

8 hours ago, FreudEgg said:

One of the schools I applied to sent out interview invites like 3 weeks ago, and I didn't receive one so I presumed rejection. The interviews happen in  a few weeks. I reached out to the program to confirm the status of my app (for closure) and they said my app is "still pending review". How would you guys take that? No one has posted rejections/WL for this program. I was expecting a legit rejection, and now I'm more confused!! 

Same page my understanding, most schools will do an initial rejection wave (those that did not meet minimal qualifications like GRE gpa etc), then depending on the POI and how many applicants she/he has they will be saved. Interviews are done, people chosen and given admission but they still have to wait if they accept the offers if not they move on to the next round of applicants. SO my advice expect the best, prepare for the worst. The odds are very small but sometimes part of all this admission experience is also luck so just hang in there.  "pending review" is still better than a no (i know it doesn't help with the anxiety but if you do get accepted it will all be worth)

13 minutes ago, Pyschdreaming143 said:

Same page my understanding, most schools will do an initial rejection wave (those that did not meet minimal qualifications like GRE gpa etc), then depending on the POI and how many applicants she/he has they will be saved. Interviews are done, people chosen and given admission but they still have to wait if they accept the offers if not they move on to the next round of applicants. SO my advice expect the best, prepare for the worst. The odds are very small but sometimes part of all this admission experience is also luck so just hang in there.  "pending review" is still better than a no (i know it doesn't help with the anxiety but if you do get accepted it will all be worth)

Thanks for the feedback... fingers crossed that’s the case, nice to keep some hope alive!! 

51 minutes ago, philopsych said:

I asked already, but I have to ask again: what's going on with UW-Madison? I still haven't seen it on the results page. It says there have been 2 interview offers on the spreadsheet, but does that mean they're done?

A lot of places are just having interviews now, so my guess is that we’ll be hearing in a bit.

On 2/2/2019 at 5:01 PM, NiceCupofTea said:

I saw that someone posted an acceptance to the clinical program at George Mason - congratulations!!!  Could you please PM me your PI?  I interviewed last saturday and didn't realize people were starting to hear back already! 

Good luck to all! 

Same! I interviewed last weekend too and would love to know that person's POI! PM welcomed. :)

Emailed some schools for a status update since I haven't heard anything back about my application. Hope this might help someone of you waiting as well:

Columbia Teacher's College (Clinical Psychology PhD): Not heard a thing from them despite emailing the contact individual on their website

NYU (Neural Science PhD): "We have reviewed all applications and have sent out interview invitations to our top candidates. We may send out additional interview offers at a later date but it is not guaranteed. Official rejections will be sent out by mid-February."

University of Southern California (Psychology PhD [mine specific application was for Clinical Science]): "All applications have now been reviewed and we have already had our interview day. However, interviews may still be extended up to February 15th. Admission letters will be sent out soon in the next week or so."

Edited by anxiouscoffeedrinker