Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

8 hours ago, brighteyes said:

I emailed my POI from the interview I had last week at UN-Lincoln. She responded and apologized for the delay and cited the polar vortex-- but she said I am IN!! This is my first acceptance and I am over the moon!

Congrats! Vicariously celebrating through you!! ?

10 hours ago, anxiouscoffeedrinker said:

Emailed some schools for a status update since I haven't heard anything back about my application. Hope this might help someone of you waiting as well:

Columbia Teacher's College (Clinical Psychology PhD): Not heard a thing from them despite emailing the contact individual on their website

NYU (Neural Science PhD): "We have reviewed all applications and have sent out interview invitations to our top candidates. We may send out additional interview offers at a later date but it is not guaranteed. Official rejections will be sent out by mid-February."

University of Southern California (Psychology PhD [mine specific application was for Clinical Science]): "All applications have now been reviewed and we have already had our interview day. However, interviews may still be extended up to February 15th. Admission letters will be sent out soon in the next week or so."

I haven't heard anything from TC either, but their interview date is very soon (at least according to what people posted on here). So close to losing hope. :(

I'm just going to go with "no news is good news" for now. Please let us know if you hear back! How long ago did you reach out to them?

20 hours ago, ASDadvocate said:

Yes! Scary! I'm wondering what applicants' experiences were like when interviewing; especially with those POIs. I mean, if you meet with current students during the interviews, how can they fake pleasure with the program?

At the same time, I sometimes wonder if posts like that are trolls...

Did you see the ones about William James???

How long after interviewing do programs typically take to get back to you?  I know this varies so much by program, but I'm curious to get a sense of the range people have heard of (or experienced).  Do programs typically send out notices of all acceptances/wait-lists/rejections at roughly the same time?  

Thanks and good luck to all!

On 2/2/2019 at 5:01 PM, NiceCupofTea said:

I saw that someone posted an acceptance to the clinical program at George Mason - congratulations!!!  Could you please PM me your PI?  I interviewed last saturday and didn't realize people were starting to hear back already! 

Good luck to all! 

Would the person mind PMing me as well? Thank you!!

1 minute ago, TrustingTheProcess said:

Would the person mind PMing me as well? Thank you!!

To the person who posted their GMU acceptance a few days ago: I think 5-7 people so far (besides me) have asked for PI initials. If you're open to sharing this, but don't want to PM each of us individually, I'm happy to pass info along to others if you reach out to me directly.

Thanks so much! Congrats again. 

24 minutes ago, NiceCupofTea said:

How long after interviewing do programs typically take to get back to you?  I know this varies so much by program, but I'm curious to get a sense of the range people have heard of (or experienced).  Do programs typically send out notices of all acceptances/wait-lists/rejections at roughly the same time?  

I just recently got back from an interview and asked the current students how long it took to get their official offers after their interviews.  They said it took around a month, mainly because the department needed to ensure that they had all their funding ready and in place so they don't accidentally offer admission when they don't have the funding for each new recruit.  

I've heard of programs getting back a lot sooner than a month, but I would say that you shouldn't worry if you don't hear back immediately!  Like you said, it's up to the program as well as the state of their funding at the time.

30 minutes ago, NiceCupofTea said:

I interviewed last Friday and received an acceptance Monday. It seems like they get back to you pretty quick (within the next week) but I’m sure it can vary considerably. 

46 minutes ago, NiceCupofTea said:

To the person who posted their GMU acceptance a few days ago: I think 5-7 people so far (besides me) have asked for PI initials. If you're open to sharing this, but don't want to PM each of us individually, I'm happy to pass info along to others if you reach out to me directly.

Thanks so much! Congrats again. 

I interviewed for a program this weekend and I know the admissions meeting is today, but in the past results show it took about two weeks before people were notified so my guess is that there is paperwork and other things that come in between depending on how departments do things. Some POIs might be able to informally let people know that a formal letter is coming later, others might want to or need to wait until all info is in place.

1 hour ago, NiceCupofTea said:

From my personal experience (Canadian schools), it depends on when the committee meets. For example, one school took 1.5 weeks to get back to me since I was interviewed early, and the committee didn't meet until a week later. Whereas another school I was interviewed on Wednesday, and by Friday I was given a heads-up by my POI to look out for my offer on Monday (as that's when the committee meets).

So my piece of advice is, if you do get an interview, ask them about the selection process after the interviews (e.g., "what is the selection process like after the interviews?". If you can, see if they can give you a date for when the committee meets. It's much easier to gauge the timeline that way.  Good luck :)

2 hours ago, TheEternalGrad said:

At the same time, I sometimes wonder if posts like that are trolls...

Did you see the ones about William James???

True! I guess ya never know. People may have personal vendettas.

2 hours ago, dancedementia said:

I was half of the posts about William James lol. I get a little defensive about people judging others' choices. 

Oh my goodness, that got a little heated. ? I understand that though, no reason to judge even if you have your own feelings about the program.

15 minutes ago, ClinicalApplicant2019 said:

Has anyone heard back with any news from the following schools: CU Denver, Duke, Drexel, UConn, Pitt, UVM, or UDel? I haven't heard a single word from all seven schools, which has me really worried...

Any feedback would be helpful! 

Not clinical, but I have no idea what's going on with Duke...some people got rejected already but I haven't heard anything. I think some people have heard from UDel. I did, but I applied for a different department so that's not helpful. 

15 minutes ago, ClinicalApplicant2019 said:

Has anyone heard back with any news from the following schools: CU Denver, Duke, Drexel, UConn, Pitt, UVM, or UDel? I haven't heard a single word from all seven schools, which has me really worried...

Any feedback would be helpful! 

I had contacted UDel ? seems like all their interviews have been extended at this time. Not sure about the other schools though

3 hours ago, NiceCupofTea said:

I heard 3 weeks at one program (faculty) and 4 weeks at another program (current student) for acceptance. I am always happy for the ones who find out earlier. The waiting is the worst.

Edited by today.is.not.the.day
missed word

It certainly does vary by program. I had two interviews last week and both said that all interviewees would know their status within 2-3 weeks. 

I had an interview last Wednesday and heard from my POI of acceptance yesterday, so 6 days. I did have an informal interview with another program back in October and I still haven't from it. It looks like it varies tremendously.