2019 MPH CANADA

DAM

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any insights about the Brock MPH program? Specifically, the fact that it's relatively newer and online - I'd appreciate some feedback on it! (Does anyone know someone who's been through the program and might be able to answer specific questions I have?)

Thanks! 

Congrats to everyone who got in! 

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from UofT (Health promotion)? I saw that they sent out the second round of offers recently, does anyone know if they'll be sending out the third round any time soon? Or when they will be sending out rejections. I have emailed them but haven't gotten a response back.

41 minutes ago, SR31 said:

Congrats to everyone who got in! 

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from UofT (Health promotion)? I saw that they sent out the second round of offers recently, does anyone know if they'll be sending out the third round any time soon? Or when they will be sending out rejections. I have emailed them but haven't gotten a response back.

Hey! still waiting to hear from U of T health promo, and I know others are too - how did you know they sent out the 2nd round? also would love to know what they say when they respond to your email!

18 hours ago, superduper12 said:

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any insights about the Brock MPH program? Specifically, the fact that it's relatively newer and online - I'd appreciate some feedback on it! (Does anyone know someone who's been through the program and might be able to answer specific questions I have?)

Thanks! 

Current Brock student who has been accepted into the MPH program and accepted their offer. I know a lot of people who have completed it so I can try my best to answer your questions or find someone who can :) 

Congrats to all of those who have been accepted! Not sure if Waterloo has sent out their wait list yet, but I denied my spot last night so a spot should open up :) 

2 hours ago, haylz said:

Congrats to all of those who have been accepted! Not sure if Waterloo has sent out their wait list yet, but I denied my spot last night so a spot should open up :) 

Hey! May you share your profile please..

On 4/15/2019 at 3:41 PM, PD9090 said:

Anyone else get a waitlisted email from Western MPH?

Same!! I'm so worried about the length of the waitlist though. I was told that 47 out of 60 people are already accepted the offer. So we have to wait until early June to learn if any people don't pay the deposit or if we are taken off waitlist. 

On 4/16/2019 at 11:47 AM, priscilladdo said:

I messaged the Charisse Clark, the graduate admissions officer for Lakehead University, about when we will here anything back and got an auto reply saying she’s out til April 23

Just letting you know that I had till April 23 to accept my offer. The other sets of offers should come out after then for Lakehead

On 4/15/2019 at 10:54 PM, QueensSpec said:

I was told by one of the Western program coordinators this morning after being notified of being on the waitlist that offers off the waitlist are in part based on subgroups that they place each waitlisted candidate in. Some (perhaps most) schools follow a numbered waitlist, while Western MPH's program does not. 

She explained that I am placed in the "undergrad science" waitlist, and similarly, others are placed in "undergrad arts" and other similar subgroups. As people either accept or decline their offers over April and May, they will be making sure that their incoming class is diverse enough by pulling from the waitlist groupings they need. I'm assuming that, for instance, if they have too many "undergrad science" students accepting offers and making up their incoming class, then they'll pull from other waitlist subgroups. 

This being said, I think by rolling admissions they mean that they are evaluating their waitlist individuals on an ongoing basis depending on how their class demographic is looking. I also want to note diversity may only be one instance where they pull from waitlist groups - there could be many other reasons as well!

Thanks so much for sharing, @QueensSpec! As of today, 47 people had accepted their offers (program has 60 seats total). Would you happen to know about any other criteria that may use, such as ethnic background, nationality, etc? 

It is possible that some of those 47 might have accepted the offers at other universities as well, and then decide to not pay the deposit at Western MPH by early June.   

On this chat itself, I see 9 of us who have been waitlisted, including myself (there are currently 13 spots available, assuming all of the 47 attend). @a19 @PD9090 @KPJ @QueensSpec @kuttychathan @HaileyS @PM26 @Mph201999

Would you like to share your background (undergrad/grad/major) to help us get a better estimate? Also, will anyone be rejected their Western MPH offer?

I will be graduating with a Bachelor of Science (Physics) from Canada this Spring. I have public health & healthcare experience.

On another note, I just received a rejection from MUN. Was hoping for at least a waitlist hahaha *crying internally*

6 hours ago, Stardust3000 said:

Thanks so much for sharing, @QueensSpec! As of today, 47 people had accepted their offers (program has 60 seats total). Would you happen to know about any other criteria that may use, such as ethnic background, nationality, etc? 

It is possible that some of those 47 might have accepted the offers at other universities as well, and then decide to not pay the deposit at Western MPH by early June.   

On this chat itself, I see 9 of us who have been waitlisted, including myself (there are currently 13 spots available, assuming all of the 47 attend). @a19 @PD9090 @KPJ @QueensSpec @kuttychathan @HaileyS @PM26 @Mph201999

Would you like to share your background (undergrad/grad/major) to help us get a better estimate? Also, will anyone be rejected their Western MPH offer?

I will be graduating with a Bachelor of Science (Physics) from Canada this Spring. I have public health & healthcare experience.

On another note, I just received a rejection from MUN. Was hoping for at least a waitlist hahaha *crying

FYI - I was waitlisted too. It doesn't really matter as I have already decided on Waterloo's MSc, but good luck to you all!

12 hours ago, BHSc2018 said:

FYI - I was waitlisted too. It doesn't really matter as I have already decided on Waterloo's MSc, but good luck to you all!

Western isn't my first choice so I probably wouldn't accept if I got in. I'm coming from an undergrad biosci degree 

20 hours ago, Veeramrit said:

Hey! May you share your profile please..

Education consists of a Honours BA in Sociology as well as a Honours BPH (in progress). My cGPA of all of my credits (close to 40) is a 3.3. 

My BPH last two years is a 3.9 GPA. 

I have both work and volunteer experience in public health, both over 2 years.

Gained some research experience completing my undergraduate thesis. 

34 minutes ago, haylz said:

Education consists of a Honours BA in Sociology as well as a Honours BPH (in progress). My cGPA of all of my credits (close to 40) is a 3.3. 

My BPH last two years is a 3.9 GPA. 

I have both work and volunteer experience in public health, both over 2 years.

Gained some research experience completing my undergraduate thesis. 

Ok thank you for sharing info

On 4/17/2019 at 9:30 PM, Norhaha said:

Hey! still waiting to hear from U of T health promo, and I know others are too - how did you know they sent out the 2nd round? also would love to know what they say when they respond to your email!

I am also waiting! I believe it was just the initial round. I think the first email was received on March 23rd - noting that the Dalla Lana was making a "recommendation" to the school of graduate studies for the acceptance - essentially an acceptance. Most recently, I believe those individuals received their official offer. 

Fingers crossed for those who are waiting - I hope we hear back some good news :)
When they respond let us know :) 

22 hours ago, Stardust3000 said:

On another note, I just received a rejection from MUN. Was hoping for at least a waitlist hahaha *crying internally*

damn 47 already accepted? my friend in the program said two people who are close friends of his in the class were accepted in September. another friend told me for many people money can be an issue and they end up not committing. i only applied to this program which is clearly not a good idea. 

as for stats, I am a BSC double major, last two years 3.9 somethings GPA, 3 years of research experience in a hospital, 6 years of extensive community work from building houses to fundraising over 40k with magazine publications. tbh if i got waitlisted i dont think any of this really mattered to them or that i stood out. sigh. 

at this point things are out of my control so i am trying to stay calm and plan my next moves. good luck to you and everyone :) 

22 hours ago, globalhealthenthusiast said:

Just got the admissions offer from McMaster Global Health with scholarship! Only have a week to decide to accept or not though!

Congratulations!! I wish I had applied to McMaster, it's a great school. I attended it before transferring to another university due to family reasons. 

3 hours ago, kuttychathan said:

damn 47 already accepted? my friend in the program said two people who are close friends of his in the class were accepted in September. another friend told me for many people money can be an issue and they end up not committing. i only applied to this program which is clearly not a good idea. 

as for stats, I am a BSC double major, last two years 3.9 somethings GPA, 3 years of research experience in a hospital, 6 years of extensive community work from building houses to fundraising over 40k with magazine publications. tbh if i got waitlisted i dont think any of this really mattered to them or that i stood out. sigh. 

at this point things are out of my control so i am trying to stay calm and plan my next moves. good luck to you and everyone :) 

From what I have gathered, a demonstrated understanding of social determinants of health and the difference between public health and healthcare is what matters to them. 

All the best!

30 minutes ago, MPH2021 said:

Received an admission from UofT Health promo about half an hour ago!! It looks like they did a second round of admissions :)

I will be cancelling my offer to Mac MPH - for those of you on the wait list - this is good news! 

Omg congrats! what a quick turn-around from your last post haha, I'm praying for a good email soon...