Jump to content
Guest

New York, NY

Recommended Posts

On 3/22/2018 at 2:04 PM, TooExcited&Nervous said:

BUMP

Any tips on the housing search?

Hey there!

I used the SpareRoom app. It took awhile to find a place because for every apt you apply to, 100 people are also applying. 

I also knew exactly where I wanted to live in Queens, so I was hyper vigilant about checking every day!

I haven’t read the whole thread but just in case it wasn’t mentioned, the L train is going to be shut down in early 2019... so Greenpoint may not be a good neighborhood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2018 at 3:52 PM, isma93 said:

Hi! I know the struggle. I was an intern at the United Nations HQ in Manhattan not a long ago, and the house search got me crazy. I was also robbed of my deposit once. I found my final flat through some friends at the United Nations. I still have the contact of the landlord, a very nice and honest person, and he owns a whole building. But it's inside Manhattan, between Midtown East and UES (44th and 1st if I rember well), and he only has studios to rent. I don't know if that's an option for you. Let me know anyways if you want me to give you the contact. :)

Cheers, Isma

Hi Isma93!

Thank you for the response, and messaged you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2018 at 4:52 AM, isma93 said:

Hi! I know the struggle. I was an intern at the United Nations HQ in Manhattan not a long ago, and the house search got me crazy. I was also robbed of my deposit once. I found my final flat through some friends at the United Nations. I still have the contact of the landlord, a very nice and honest person, and he owns a whole building. But it's inside Manhattan, between Midtown East and UES (44th and 1st if I rember well), and he only has studios to rent. I don't know if that's an option for you. Let me know anyways if you want me to give you the contact. :)

Cheers, Isma

Are the UN internships paid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, Bodhicaryavatara said:

Are the UN internships paid?

Nope, no salary and no reimbursement for expenses :/ They now started paying some interns at UNICEF in NYC, but only like 20 poistions a year maximum (rest is still unpiad), plus they receive 1500 dollars which is ridiculous, you cannot survive more than 2 weeks with that amount of money in Manhattan ahaha

Edited by isma93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of a random question: are there any good bars for line (country) dancing in NYC? Anything that locals would recommend? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am interviewing at NYU and Columbia and have been waitlisted at Weill Cornell (the medical campus is in NYC), so hopefully I will get into one of these programs and will be moving to NYC this year! A little scared about how expensive it is (especially as a grad student), but VERY excited!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 10:48 AM, CancerBiology said:

I am interviewing at NYU and Columbia and have been waitlisted at Weill Cornell (the medical campus is in NYC), so hopefully I will get into one of these programs and will be moving to NYC this year! A little scared about how expensive it is (especially as a grad student), but VERY excited!

Outer boroughs (Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, and Staten Island) are usually cheaper, but there are some neighborhoods in Manhattan (Inwood, Washington Heights, etc) that are also reasonable (well, reasonable by NYC standards). At your interviews, maybe you can ask about student housing options. Do they have a way that grad students can connect as potential roommates or anything, even across departments? It's also not uncommon for like 4 people to share a 2 bedroom apartment, etc. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to be moving to NYC in the Fall! Housing is definitely my biggest ~city~ concern, especially seeing as I have a dog and a lizard. I'm looking forward to all the different events and cultural aspects of living in NYC, though! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any experience house hunting in the NY/NJ area?  I'm really excited about an acceptance I have at Fordham, but a huge goal for my wife is becoming a home owner after renting in the area for six months to a year.  I've been looking at Newark, Elizabeth, and Piscataway, but I'm afraid that there isn't really property in our price range.  My wife is also familiar with Texas real estate values and how much home you get for you buck, so I'm thinking the area is really going to be a tough sell for her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a NJ native with family in Texas, I can assure you that the real estate values are in no way equivalent. NJ is the most densely populated state in the country. That, coupled with NYC and Philadelphia in close proximity, means the real estate prices are obscene. Also, the property taxes are really high too. In Newark, there are some sections that are very nice, but they are also more expensive. When looking at cities like Newark and Elizabeth, you want to also look at crime stats for specific neighborhoods. Piscataway' for the most part, is fine. Honestly, your best bet as a homeowner is a condo or a fixer upper if you are handy. Otherwise expect to pay min. $250k-$300k for a small house in decent shape within a decent school district/lower crime area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MetaphysicalDrama I used to live in New Jersey and the property taxes are astronomical. My family is from California and we thought we had bad property taxes, but they don't compare to NJ. I did really enjoy where I lived though (in Essex County by a nature reserve). It was only a 30 minute train ride into Manhattan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a native New Yorker, now living abroad but soon coming back to the US. While the outer broroughs are much cheaper than Manhattan, do be careful of the neighborhood. Sometimes a low rent isn’t worth the danger. I’ve been slashed on the subway in broad daylight while minding my own business, and I thought I was always careful of my surroundings.

But it (Manhattan specifically) is a wonderful place, and I do miss it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a NJ native and was accepted to NYU for my MSW. While it was obviously extremely exciting to be accepted there, I’m also very nervous about what accepting admission might to do to my wallet debt-wise. I was offered a scholarship that seems to not make much of a dent in my tuition, and also have to take into consideration travel, living, food, and emergency expenses. I always tell people that if I did not have to consider money so much, I would choose NYU without thinking (but unfortunately I’m not in that situation). 

I was also accepted into Rutgers University for MSW, which from what I understand is very similar in rigor and reputation to NYU. It’s also waaaay more affordable.

I suppose what I’m asking is if a degree from NYU is worth it when I have another, just as good alternative on my plate that won’t break my bank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, leddyd1 said:

I’m a NJ native and was accepted to NYU for my MSW. While it was obviously extremely exciting to be accepted there, I’m also very nervous about what accepting admission might to do to my wallet debt-wise. I was offered a scholarship that seems to not make much of a dent in my tuition, and also have to take into consideration travel, living, food, and emergency expenses. I always tell people that if I did not have to consider money so much, I would choose NYU without thinking (but unfortunately I’m not in that situation). 

I was also accepted into Rutgers University for MSW, which from what I understand is very similar in rigor and reputation to NYU. It’s also waaaay more affordable.

I suppose what I’m asking is if a degree from NYU is worth it when I have another, just as good alternative on my plate that won’t break my bank. 

Given the cost difference, I would go with Rutgers. It has a phenomenal reputation around here. I've worked with tons of Rutgers MSW grads over the years, and they were all extremely competent as social workers and clinicians (those who had the LCSW). Actually, I've known plenty of people from Rutgers and Columbia, but I actually haven't met anyone with an MSW from NYU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all - I'm considering Teachers College, Columbia and was wondering what the biking scene is like in the area? Still trying to figure out what area I'd live in if I choose TC, but it looks like there's some good options on the Hudson River Greenway? I don't mind city biking (I currently commute in Boston in warmer weather) but was hoping to get an idea of what the paths are like in the early morning and later at night. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 4:20 AM, LizKay said:

I’m a native New Yorker, now living abroad but soon coming back to the US. While the outer broroughs are much cheaper than Manhattan, do be careful of the neighborhood. Sometimes a low rent isn’t worth the danger. I’ve been slashed on the subway in broad daylight while minding my own business, and I thought I was always careful of my surroundings.

But it (Manhattan specifically) is a wonderful place, and I do miss it.

Conversely, I’ve been living in Bed Stuy for five years, and have never had any problems or felt unsafe! I’m sorry this happened to you—but also want to underscore that many people live in the outer boroughs with absolutely no problem, and with cheaper rents and decent transportation options. I have a wonderful duplex with a backyard for my dog, and it’s quite affordable for NYC standards. 

For people starting a housing search, Queer Housing (a Facebook group) and Listings Project (an email listserve) have been where I found all my roommates and homes throughout the years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2019 at 3:02 PM, BioCook said:

Hey all - I'm considering Teachers College, Columbia and was wondering what the biking scene is like in the area? Still trying to figure out what area I'd live in if I choose TC, but it looks like there's some good options on the Hudson River Greenway? I don't mind city biking (I currently commute in Boston in warmer weather) but was hoping to get an idea of what the paths are like in the early morning and later at night. Thanks!

I bike commute from Brooklyn to the UES now, and did Inwood to Columbia for a few years. I’ve never biked anywhere else, but I find it doable, and the paths can get crowded but not too bad. The Hudson greenway is lovely and safe. Bike commuting has honestly been a savior for me here. I’m moving to Boston soon so DM me if you want to trade biking tips in our respective cities! 

Edited by ariadnev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ariadnev said:

Conversely, I’ve been living in Bed Stuy for five years, and have never had any problems or felt unsafe! I’m sorry this happened to you—but also want to underscore that many people live in the outer boroughs with absolutely no problem, and with cheaper rents and decent transportation options. I have a wonderful duplex with a backyard for my dog, and it’s quite affordable for NYC standards. 

For people starting a housing search, Queer Housing (a Facebook group) and Listings Project (an email listserve) have been where I found all my roommates and homes throughout the years. 

Of course, many people have lived safely for years with no incidents thankfully. But crime is still a problem throughout the city, given the high density. My father was a yellow cab driver and in his 30 years of work, he was mugged at knifepoint, gun point, and carjacked (sometimes related to work and sometimes not).

I’m just saying that people should also be careful and do their research. I had lived in Brooklyn and Queens since the early 90s and upstate before that (which was pleasantly nice too) and I think I know the city well by now. I do love my hometown. But I’m just saying that cheap rent shouldn’t be the only or main consideration.

Edited by LizKay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just accepted my offer to Columbia. I have guaranteed housing for 5 years. Anyone have experience with living in Columbia's housing? Any tips or tricks for the application? I plan on living on campus for the first year or two and staying if I like it, but if I find a better option elsewhere I will take that. I also, being an anthro student, will be gone for research at least a year and will likely be gone every summer, which brings to mind questions of subletting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got accepted to Columbia (Washington Heights area campus) and plan to accept the offer.
Any advice on apartments in that area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 4:53 PM, Renalee said:

I just got accepted to Columbia (Washington Heights area campus) and plan to accept the offer.
Any advice on apartments in that area?

My advice: don’t. Look into living in another borough and commute, unless you have a ton of savings burning a hole in your pocket for rent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I accepted NYU Tisch offer. I have requested information on grad housing as well.

Any advice on apartments - where to look. Budget maybe of $800 including all ? And any prospective candidates here who are also looking around and want to team up ?

My course starts in September. I should be in NY by mid-August I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, NeilM said:

My advice: don’t. Look into living in another borough and commute, unless you have a ton of savings burning a hole in your pocket for rent. 

Any recommendations for which boroughs to look at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Renalee said:

Any recommendations for which boroughs to look at?

Actually, you can get lucky in the Washington heights/Inwood area. Morningside heights, where the main Columbia campus is situated is rough. I would also check out parts of the Bronx and Queens. Most of Brooklyn has actually gotten more expensive than parts of Manhattan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.