Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

Hi everyone!

Sorry if someone asked this earlier, but I've applied to York and University of Toronto and I'm wondering if anyone who was accepted last year could let me know when they got their acceptance. I'm definitely anxious to find out, and it would help to have an idea of when the decisions will be released! Here's to complicated university websites that make it virtually impossible to locate really basic information ?

30 minutes ago, blivingstone said:

Hi everyone!

Sorry if someone asked this earlier, but I've applied to York and University of Toronto and I'm wondering if anyone who was accepted last year could let me know when they got their acceptance. I'm definitely anxious to find out, and it would help to have an idea of when the decisions will be released! Here's to complicated university websites that make it virtually impossible to locate really basic information ?

You can try using the search tool for last year's threads and the results page if nobody from last year sees this post. Not many universities (that I've seen) post estimated result periods. 

17 hours ago, blivingstone said:

Hi everyone!

University of Toronto acceptances are expected to go out anywhere from mid-February to mid-April! At least that's what I found in the online info booklet!

Edited by Dal2UofT

On 1/27/2019 at 5:42 PM, blivingstone said:

Hi everyone!

Sorry if someone asked this earlier, but I've applied to York and University of Toronto and I'm wondering if anyone who was accepted last year could let me know when they got their acceptance. I'm definitely anxious to find out, and it would help to have an idea of when the decisions will be released! Here's to complicated university websites that make it virtually impossible to locate really basic information 

Hello!

I received my acceptance the very last week of March for the two year program. That is the earliest I would expect the two year decisions to come out based on my multiple years of applying... one year program decisions are usually what come out in February :)

On 1/29/2019 at 7:41 PM, Anniemsw said:

Does anyone know what the method of being notified of acceptance is? Will it be to the email I applied with or do I constantly check the site... lol

I only know of UofT (it's the only school I applied too) - based on the forms from last year ..most people got notified via ACORN first as "invited" if they accepted and a week later letters were sent out for acceptances, rejections and waitlists. For advanced standing students, this was done between Feb 20th and the end of February, which I'm assuming will be the same thing year as it was for the last two years.

Hello Everyone!

Is anyone aware of when Laurier and York would notify applicants if they have received entrance into their Advanced Standing MSW Program for September 2019?

When I last contacted both schools Laurier told me that they are hoping to give out acceptances late February/early March, and York told me they give out acceptances in April/May.

Has anyone else heard something different?

Thank you. 

22 hours ago, FK@UofT said:

Advanced Standing folks, decision time is almost here! Few more weeks, we got this!

Judging from the past forums, it would seem like UofT send out their first batch of advance standing the Tuesday following family day.  I may be wrong lol

18 minutes ago, MSW-101 said:

Judging from the past forums, it would seem like UofT send out their first batch of advance standing the Tuesday following family day.  I may be wrong lol

Through ACORN or mail? .... I won't be checking my decision on ACORN, I'm taking the risk of having my loved ones there when I open my mailbox because I'm manifesting this acceptance and all the joy that comes with it.

Edited by FK@UofT

9 minutes ago, FK@UofT said:

Through ACORN or mail? .... I won't be checking my decision on ACORN, I'm taking the risk of having my loved ones there when I open my mailbox because I'm manifesting this acceptance and all the joy that comes with it.

ACORN..... Damn this wait is killing me..........I'm hoping we get in :)

Edited by MSW-101

UGH. At that point though, I'm just torturing myself by waiting for the package to come through. 

The wait is ridiculous!!! I'm self-soothing by telling myself its one more week till next Friday, then we got the weekend, and then we buckle down for those acceptances!

13 minutes ago, MSW-101 said:

ACORN..... Damn this wait is killing me..........I'm hoping we get in :)

UGH. At that point though, I'm just torturing myself by waiting for the package to come through. 

The wait is ridiculous!!! I'm self-soothing by telling myself its one more week till next Friday, then we got the weekend, and then we buckle down for those acceptances!

Co

42 minutes ago, hellohamilton said:

just checked on my dalhousie web portal thing and it changed to the below.  can i assume that i've been accepted?  no e-mails or letters received - trying to not get too excited.

Application Status: Decision Made
Decision:

Accepted - Deposit Requested

Congratulation!!!! pretty straight forward......decision made and you are accepted. 

On 2/10/2019 at 12:26 PM, Dal2UofT said:

When the invitation comes through ACORN does it show up as a notification? 

I'm not sure to be honest. The cohorts before us did not mention on the forums if they got an email notification. I guess we just have to keep checking ACORN or wait via Canada post mail 

2 minutes ago, MSW-101 said:

I'm not sure to be honest. The cohorts before us did not mention on the forums if they got an email notification. I guess we just have to keep checking ACORN or wait via Canada post mail 

How do you login to ACORN? I didn't attend UofT for undergrad so I'm very confused.

1 minute ago, Desperate Clinical said:

How do you login to ACORN? I didn't attend UofT for undergrad so I'm very confused.

You should have received an email after submitting your online payment through SGS, with instructions to join  UTORid / JOINid.

Do you remember receiving such an email? 

48 minutes ago, MSW-101 said:

You should have received an email after submitting your online payment through SGS, with instructions to join  UTORid / JOINid.

Do you remember receiving such an email? 

Thank you!! I was able to login. However, it doesn't show any of my applications- will they just show up if I receive an offer?

1 hour ago, Desperate Clinical said:

Thank you!! I was able to login. However, it doesn't show any of my applications- will they just show up if I receive an offer?

Happy that you were able to log in. Base on prior forums, If you are admitted to UofT, the following status :

Academics

Degree Registration Status

You do not have any enrolled courses for 2019 Winter.

.........................Will be Changed to INVITED.
Edited by MSW-101

On 12/8/2018 at 3:09 AM, Deanna11 said:

Hello! Would you be able to share your experience with Lakehead's HBSW program?? I was really interested in it but was wondering how long it typically takes to complete! I know it says 1 year but their website says I can take 2 as well, so just a little confused... How was your practicum experience??

Thank you in advance!! 

Hi @Deanna11!

Sorry for the late reply (I haven't been on the forum in a while :$)

I was able to complete the program in just under a year. I started July 4, 2017 and completed my final placement and classes June 16, 2018. Some classmates took a bit longer, just depending on how quick they were completing their placement hours and when they were placed. I just managed to get a placement in December 2017 so I could start January 2018 and just pump as many hours as I could in at once. Started doing placement 4 days a week. I also worked through my reading week, and anytime I got sick or had to miss a placement day, I would make it up on my day off. Once I completed most of my courses and just had my placement, I did placement 5 days a week since my course load was a lot lighter. My placement provided me with that flexibility which was nice.

As for my practicum, I worked at a shelter, so I was exposed to so many different populations and situations which was really good. One drawback though was that there was no counselling services on sight or RSW (I did work with people who graduated with a BSW, SSW and MPsychotherapy). So I didn't get experience with  counselling and how that works. However, I did get to assist in facilitating assessments, phone screenings, housing applications, and workshops, among other things.

If you get into the program, I recommend being really on top of your placements and giving your coordinator feedback (or lack of feedback) from placement opportunities. A few of us were placed very last minute (either in December or later), so we had to take whatever placement was given. If you have contacts at agencies, give that information to your coordinator so they can talk to the agency as soon as they can.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, please let me know! I promise I will be on more frequently haha