Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

9 hours ago, hellohamilton said:

hey all!  has anyone heard back from laurier for the advanced standing msw?  anxiously awaiting - also waiting for waterloo and u vic programs.  so hard to wait!  

The last time I emailed Laurier, they told me that advanced standing applicants would be notified late February/early March. Hopefully by next week we'll know! 

1 hour ago, Laurabeth79 said:

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far!  Does anyone have any idea when Ryerson typically sends out decisions?  I can't seem to find any information on their website that even gives an estimate.  Thanks!

Hey I think it's last week of Feb to early march!

17 hours ago, Giantoreo said:

Just curious, what does everyone have for their experience and gpa? 

STRESSINGGG! This thread has definitely helped to feel less alone in this entire process/hope y'all are able to negotiate boundaries and self-care and whatnot as the waiting game continues!

I applied to UofT and York Advanced Standing. 

GPA: 4.33

I worked as an HIV case manager at a community health agency for 4+ years and did a couple years of F/T youth work prior to that. That being said, I'm just graduating with my BSW this spring, so I'm a bit worried about not having post-BSW experience, which seems to be something that a lot of schools are looking into. 

Sending you all well wishes over the next few weeks as we keep hearing back from schools! Good luck, and hope to see some of you in September (fingers crossed!!)

Edited by N_D

44 minutes ago, N_D said:

STRESSINGGG! This thread has definitely helped to feel less alone in this entire process/hope y'all are able to negotiate boundaries and self-care and whatnot as the waiting game continues!

I applied to UofT and York Advanced Standing. 

GPA: 4.33

I worked as an HIV case manager at a community health agency for 4+ years and did a couple years of F/T youth work prior to that. That being said, I'm just graduating with my BSW this spring, so I'm a bit worried about not having post-BSW experience, which seems to be something that a lot of schools are looking into. 

Sending you all well wishes over the next few weeks as we keep hearing back from schools! Good luck, and hope to see some of you in September (fingers crossed!!)

Is that a thing? Having post BSW experience .. because if thats a thing, I really hope it isn't...Maybe, stressing over that is pointless at this point - (but I'm stressing). May the wait be over, sooner rather than later.

From my experience applying in the past for both BSW and MSW programs and from my friends who got in after we just graduated from our BSW (I.e we finished in June and they started in September), you don’t have to have post-social work experience as in working as a “social worker”, counsellor, etc. They want you to have experience in social service/human service related work and have skills that can be applicable to social work (I.e analytical skills, program facilitation, case management, active listening skills, assessment experience, advocacy, etc.). 

So if you can validate your work or volunteer experience being related to that field and the skills you have acquired related to social work, you should have a good shot.

Hope this helps!

46 minutes ago, IGee said:

From my experience applying in the past for both BSW and MSW programs and from my friends who got in after we just graduated from our BSW (I.e we finished in June and they started in September), you don’t have to have post-social work experience as in working as a “social worker”, counsellor, etc. They want you to have experience in social service/human service related work and have skills that can be applicable to social work (I.e analytical skills, program facilitation, case management, active listening skills, assessment experience, advocacy, etc.). 

So if you can validate your work or volunteer experience being related to that field and the skills you have acquired related to social work, you should have a good shot.

Hope this helps!

Super helpful. Thank you. This whole thing is a beautiful rollercoaster ride. 

1 hour ago, FK@UofT said:

Is that a thing? Having post BSW experience .. because if thats a thing, I really hope it isn't...Maybe, stressing over that is pointless at this point - (but I'm stressing). May the wait be over, sooner rather than later.

From what I know some schools do require post-BSW experience (UVic is one of them), however, I asked Angela at U of T about this specifically and she replied as follows:

To address your question:  we do not specifically require work experience post-BSW;
as part of the application process you will be required to submit a detailed Resume.
 Your Resume should include all work and volunteer experience, both related and
unrelated to social work.  Please see the detailed Resume instructions posted on our
website at:  
https://socialwork.utoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/MSW-RESUME-INSTRUCTIONS-2018.pdf

Hope that helps :)

8 minutes ago, Laurabeth79 said:

From what I know some schools do require post-BSW experience (UVic is one of them), however, I asked Angela at U of T about this specifically and she replied as follows:

To address your question:  we do not specifically require work experience post-BSW;
as part of the application process you will be required to submit a detailed Resume.
 Your Resume should include all work and volunteer experience, both related and
unrelated to social work.  Please see the detailed Resume instructions posted on our
website at:  
https://socialwork.utoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/MSW-RESUME-INSTRUCTIONS-2018.pdf

Hope that helps :)

Okay! - I'm confident my work experience should more than suffice. It was the post-BSW that made me anxious because I'm graduating this June. Thanks for taking the time to bring that information onto the forum :)

Hi everyone! 

I'm sure everyone is as anxious as I am. If UofT decides to send out acceptances around the same time they did last year, then we should be hearing back from them within the next few days!

I applied to the MSW Advanced Standing in Mental Health & Health for Sept. 2019. I'm currently in the one-year HBSW program at Lakehead University, and will be finished in June. 

I wish everyone the best of luck and if anyone has any questions about Lakehead's program feel free to ask :) 

Edited by French_MSW

12 hours ago, FK@UofT said:

I had less than a year post-BSW experience, which prevented me from applying to certain schools. MUN, for example, requires at least 2 years post-BSW experience as a social worker.  Other schools will consider human service related experience prior to BSW. For example, I was an Indigenous Health Consultant for the province. A lot of my work parallels what we do in macro social work positions. Some schools do not require it at all. I believe I read on a previous year's forum post that Laurier average applicants had approx 7000 work/volunteer hours, not sure about others. 

One thing I do wonder - for schools that require two years post BSW experience, do you have to have the 2 years experience BEFORE you apply, or just have the two years before you begin school? We apply months ahead...

4 minutes ago, KA2019 said:

Hello everyone, 

I applied for the advanced standing MSW program at U of T. I just looked at ACORN and it has changed to invited! 

Hopefully you all get good news today! 

Congrats!! I hope they send them out throughout the day.. mine doesn't say anything yet. 

Has anyone else heard?

Edited by Chantalilly

2 minutes ago, Bellis-Perennis said:

Nothing for me yet either. The ANXIETY! 

I'm trying to lurk the old forums and see if they send them all out the same second.. I already feel a bit discouraged though. :( 

Does yours say that you don't have any enrolled courses? 

Edited by Chantalilly

46 minutes ago, KA2019 said:

Hello everyone, 

I applied for the advanced standing MSW program at U of T. I just looked at ACORN and it has changed to invited! 

YES!!!! Congratulations!!!! - What stream did you apply too?

45 minutes ago, Chantalilly said:

I'm trying to lurk the old forums and see if they send them all out the same second.. I already feel a bit discouraged though. :( 

Does yours say that you don't have any enrolled courses? 

I'm almost positive this is a manual process so they won't all be updated at the same time. Mine says that I am not enrolled in any courses for the Winter 2019 term. I'm trying to remain hopeful that they're doing admissions 1 stream at a time

Edited by Bellis-Perennis

1 minute ago, Bellis-Perennis said:

I'm almost positive this is a manual process so they won't all be updated at the same time. Mine says that I am not enrolled in any courses for the Winter 2019 term. I'm trying to remain hopeful that they're going admissions 1 stream at a time

thanks for your hope! haha<3 I will be hopeful with you.

I applied to the mental health and health stream.. although I do allot of arts based research so I'm not even sure if I am u of t's type hahah 

Good to know it is MAYBE a manual process.. also wishful that it is only 10am.

What stream did you apply to?

Edited by Chantalilly

1 hour ago, KA2019 said:

Hello everyone, 

Congratulations!!! That's awesome

what stream did you apply to

Anyone else getting "Fail to open page" for ACORN?

WTH, I can't log in the web browser won't open 

Edited by MSW-101

5 minutes ago, Chantalilly said:

good maybe this will save me from refreshing all day hahaha 

At least I'm not alone....

Edited by MSW-101