Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

I just saw this on the Ryerson documents upload page:

Unofficial transcripts will be accepted for evaluation purposes. Unofficial transcripts printed from a student information system or links to an external student information system will not be accepted. All official transcripts will be required only if an Offer of Admission is issued.

does anyone know how accurate this is? I can see on my ACORN (I went to U of T for undergrad) that Ryerson has ordered a copy of my transcript....... so does it mean what I think it means? or am I overreacting now???? ?

25 minutes ago, FK@UofT said:

So many great things happening today  ... Based on last year, anyone know when we can look forward to official mail? I'm assuming this week, if not, next?

So many exciting things! Thinking of all my peers who are still anxiously waiting, may you hear positive news soon!

I've looked through the forum from last year and I think they go in the mail today but depending on where you live, you could get it next week. My waitlist letter last year was dated Feb 20 or 21 and I only got it March 1st (I'm in Ottawa), others received theirs on Feb 23rd and they lived in downtown Toronto

1 minute ago, Bellis-Perennis said:

So many exciting things! Thinking of all my peers who are still anxiously waiting, may you hear positive news soon!

I've looked through the forum from last year and I think they go in the mail today but depending on where you live, you could get it next week. My waitlist letter last year was dated Feb 20 or 21 and I only got it March 1st (I'm in Ottawa), others received theirs on Feb 23rd and they lived in downtown Toronto

Thank you so much. I'm not checking my ACORN and waiting for the physical mail .. so my anticipation lingers a bit longer. 

29 minutes ago, Chantalilly said:

Yea, I was reading that someone got in last year and it didn't say anything on their acorn.. I don't know how accurate this is haha 

Every year you hear of maybe one person who gets a false negative (no "invited" but they got in). But I have yet to ever hear of someone with a false positive ("invited" but not accepted). 

2 minutes ago, viclane96 said:

I just got my invite on acorn!!! I just had a freak out haha. So excited!!! I applied for the Children and Families stream! 

Congrats!! is that for the two-year MSW program or for the advanced standing?

6 hours ago, Chantalilly said:

Hey All,

I am feeling a bit down on myself and VERY nervous about hearing back from schools ... could anyone make me feel better? haha 

I applied to U of T advanced standing, Ryerson and Laurier 

Here are my stats 

GPA: 3.9 on a 4. scale ( 88%) last 10 classes (86%) last 20 

References:

A PHD social worker who I do research for and who was my practicum supervisor 

PHD social work professor, friend, mentor and field instructor 

supervisor from homes for special care - a job I held for three years 

Professional roughly 4000 + hours?

Homes for special care - providing support to individuals living with a diagnosis of schizophrenia 

Women's Crisis Services - working with women who are escaping domestic violence - I do intakes, assessments, safety planning, providing support, working on crisis line 

ESL tutor 

Tutor for individuals living with disabilities 

Volunteer 

Intake worker at KW counselling 

Art instructor -CMHA 

Peer counselling to students at U of Waterloo 

Research:

Developed and coordinated an arts-based and participatory-action based research project that explores how expressive art making and art display can facilitate empowerment and diminish stigma surrounding a diagnosis of schizophrenia.

- Received funding of $2500.00 

Currently writing a paper under one of my references 

Working with Dr. Trish Van Katwyk and a team of community researchers with lived experience, dancers and choreographers to investigate how dance can be used to explore narratives of self-jury.

Currently writing paper under reference 

Your experience is absolutely phenomenal!! Congrats on all you achieved! ?

1 minute ago, SC-MSW 2019 said:

Your experience is absolutely phenomenal!! Congrats on all you achieved! ?

Thank you so much !! I needed to hear that ❤️ i'm pretty upset as I did not get an offer from U of T... I am REALLY hoping on ryerson because they have such a heavy research focus and are actively interested in interdisciplinary collaboration 

Where did you apply?

2 minutes ago, Chantalilly said:

Thank you so much !! I needed to hear that ❤️ i'm pretty upset as I did not get an offer from U of T... I am REALLY hoping on ryerson because they have such a heavy research focus and are actively interested in interdisciplinary collaboration 

Where did you apply?

My pleasure! You have contributed a lot to the field so I don't see a reason why they wouldn't accept you.  

There is still hope for you to be accepted to U of T. Today was only the first day they sent out acceptances. I really hope you hear soon from U of T and Ryerson! 

I applied to York and Laurier's Advanced Standing MSW Programs. 

My status has changed as well for UofT and I’ve also been invited to the program! ?

Best of luck to everyone else, you’re almost there! And congrats to those who’ve been accepted as well!

2 hours ago, Chantalilly said:

Where did you apply?

Don't worry you have an incredible resume. If it's not U of t it will be somewhere else. When did you graduate with your BSW? Sometimes school want to see you working and volunteering for a few years before they accept you but who knows really! I'm happy to give you some pointers after we all hear back at the end of this that my friends shared with me who have finished their MSWs.

18 minutes ago, French_MSW said:

I'm just wondering, how do you know you did not get invited from UofT? I also did not get an offer today, but is today the only day that they put out offers?

The u of t website says they send out offers from Feb all the way through April. It's not too late at all, and plus people reject the offer which makes room for more people!

Hi, everyone! Just signed up and congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far. I applied to York and Ryerson. Has anyone heard back from either yet? I know Ryerson probably won't be for a bit because I recall them saying they'd begin rolling out acceptances mid March but what about York?

9 minutes ago, MirandaVC said:

Hi, everyone! Just signed up and congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far. I applied to York and Ryerson. Has anyone heard back from either yet? I know Ryerson probably won't be for a bit because I recall them saying they'd begin rolling out acceptances mid March but what about York?

I applied to ryerson too! I haven’t heard anything but from lurking previous forums we will find out in early March! What are your research interests like?! 

1 hour ago, Chantalilly said:

I applied to ryerson too! I haven’t heard anything but from lurking previous forums we will find out in early March! What are your research interests like?! 

I hope so or else I will go bald from stress. My research interest is LGBTQ+ youth in the arts!