Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

Hello everyone!

For those who got into Laurier's Advanced Standing in-person or online MSW Programs (for Spring 2019 or prior) what was your GPA and how many hours in the field did you have?

Thank you very much!! 

18 hours ago, SC-MSW 2019 said:

I appreciate you looking into this for me. Thank you so much for this valuable information! 

Do you by chance know how many hours would be considered for 3.6 years of experience? I have a total of 4515 hours of volunteer, summer work, and placement experiences. Thanks!! 

Hi @SC-MSW 2019 I'm sorry I don't know how they would calculate it BUT I will attempt the math in a way that makes sense to me.

35 hr/week x 52 = 1820 × 3.6 = 6552*

*this assumes no vacation or holidays though which would reduce the number. And assumes a 35 hour week if they use a higher number  it would increase the number.

4515 ÷ 1820 = is 2.84 years (again assuming the above formula is correct).

I think it's also important to note that Laurier evaluates hours based on what they believe is relevant experience. Meaning they might not use all the hours that were submitted in their calculation, if they felt some weren't relevant.

I hope that helps!!! Reading it back it sounds discouraging, but please don't take it that way you've got to believe in yourself ? Best of luck!!

21 minutes ago, Back to School said:

Hi @SC-MSW 2019 I'm sorry I don't know how they would calculate it BUT I will attempt the math in a way that makes sense to me.

35 hr/week x 52 = 1820 × 3.6 = 6552*

*this assumes no vacation or holidays though which would reduce the number. And assumes a 35 hour week if they use a higher number  it would increase the number.

4515 ÷ 1820 = is 2.84 years (again assuming the above formula is correct).

I think it's also important to note that Laurier evaluates hours based on what they believe is relevant experience. Meaning they might not use all the hours that were submitted in their calculation, if they felt some weren't relevant.

I hope that helps!!! Reading it back it sounds discouraging, but please don't take it that way you've got to believe in yourself ? Best of luck!!

Thank you so much for this information, it is helpful! ?

No worries about not knowing the exact calculation of hours, I am sure it differs each year. 

I remember when I contacted the department they told me that they equally weigh each section of the application such as: GPA, hours in the field, written statement, and references. Hopefully that is the case this application round. 

Best of luck to you too! Congrats on getting into U of T!!! Very exciting! 

Edited by SC-MSW 2019

@SC-MSW 2019 

I am glad it helps! Yes I did remember hearing that about the waiting as well. Which is why I take the average with a grain of salt because it must be such a wide spectrum of all different backgrounds.

Thank you very much, I appreicate that!! We will see what happens soon!

Hello guys! Glad this forum exists. Does anybody have experience with U of Calgary's MSW?  I received an offer of admission to their clinical program which starts in May but I am still waiting to hear from U of T and Laurier (2-year MSW). 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, JanineW said:

Hello guys! Glad this forum exists. Does anybody have experience with U of Calgary's MSW?  I received an offer of admission to their clinical program which starts in May but I am still waiting to hear from U of T and Laurier (2-year MSW). 

Thanks!

Congratulations!! I really wanted to apply to that program but my current program doesn’t end until June =(

When I previously applied to UofT 2 year MSW I heard at the beginning of March, BUT I was one fo the first people filtered out of the process, so I would image it would be after that.

Hey All ..

I remember some folks stated they were currently at UofT (Advanced Standing) have a question regarding intensives during the summer - wondering if I can pick some brains? If anyones willing to share wisdom, shoot me a DM please. 

1 hour ago, FK@UofT said:

Hey All ..

I remember some folks stated they were currently at UofT (Advanced Standing) have a question regarding intensives during the summer - wondering if I can pick some brains? If anyones willing to share wisdom, shoot me a DM please. 

I’m in the advanced standing program right now. I took some courses last summer, not the summer intensives but the ones that lasted a few months. There are some additional administrative steps for advanced standing people to start courses in the summer. Feel free to DM me!

6 hours ago, JanineW said:

Thanks!

I was accepted into UofC's 2-Year MSW program and I am also in clinical too. Congratulations on your acceptance! ?I am also waiting to hear back from UofT.

6 hours ago, SwagMaster said:

I’m in the advanced standing program right now. I took some courses last summer, not the summer intensives but the ones that lasted a few months. There are some additional administrative steps for advanced standing people to start courses in the summer. Feel free to DM me!

I'm going to message you! 

9 hours ago, SwagMaster said:

I'm sending you a message!

17 hours ago, Back to School said:

I did! Mental Health & Health.

Just waiting to hear from Laurier...

Congrats on getting in! Unfortunately, I got waitlisted for the Advanced Standing MSW for the Mental Health and Health Stream. I'm curious, if you also get accepted into Laurier, would you choose UofT or Laurier? I'm just trying to gauge the chance that I might get called from the waitlist.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, sarah_ said:

Congratulations to everyone that got an acceptance to the advanced standing MSW program at UofT!

I have been experiencing so much anxiety and received my wait-list e-mail yesterday. I have filled out the form agreeing to remain wait-listed. I’ll be contacting Angela to ease some of my anxiety.

Hey! 

I'm in the same boat as you. I got wait-listed for the Advanced Standing MSW at UofT, specifically for the Mental Health and Health Stream. I'm wondering if you know exactly how the wait-list works?

20 hours ago, Back to School said:
3 hours ago, French_MSW said:

Hey! 

I'm in the same boat as you. I got wait-listed for the Advanced Standing MSW at UofT, specifically for the Mental Health and Health Stream. I'm wondering if you know exactly how the wait-list works?

So I think when someone refuses an offer at U of T, the admissions comittee re examines the the applicants on the wait list and selects a similar candidate (similar gpa/experience i guess and same stream choice). This is why they don’t rank the waitlist. Also why it is extremely difficult to get in off the waitlist and impossible to predict. 

4 hours ago, French_MSW said:

Congrats on getting in! Unfortunately, I got waitlisted for the Advanced Standing MSW for the Mental Health and Health Stream. I'm curious, if you also get accepted into Laurier, would you choose UofT or Laurier? I'm just trying to gauge the chance that I might get called from the waitlist.

Thanks! And I'm sorry to hear that.

I honestly have no idea, the programs are so different and there would be logistical considerations for both as well. I know it sounds bad but I'm hoping I won't get into Laurier so I don't have to make a decision.

I have a feeling I didn't though, with the way they calculated my admissions average I was just barely above the acceptable level, so not very competitive.

11 hours ago, SuzyH said:

Is there anyone currently attending Laurier  or Waterloo? I am hoping for some program/course/instructor comparisons.

I am in the BSW at Waterloo/Renison right now. Same to similar faculty wise not sure about the courses though.

On 2/24/2019 at 1:11 PM, Back to School said:

Congratulations!! I really wanted to apply to that program but my current program doesn’t end until June =(

When I previously applied to UofT 2 year MSW I heard at the beginning of March, BUT I was one fo the first people filtered out of the process, so I would image it would be after that.

Thank you! Yes, it's too bad that their program starts in May.  Good luck with your application! 

Hey everyone, I was looking up one of my profs on LinkedIn and noticed that they completed their Ph.D. at Walden University. They also have MSW programs. It seems fairly easy to get into. Has anyone else ever heard of or considered an option like this? Is this like Yorkville? 

58 minutes ago, sleepydeprived said:

Hey everyone, I was looking up one of my profs on LinkedIn and noticed that they completed their Ph.D. at Walden University. They also have MSW programs. It seems fairly easy to get into. Has anyone else ever heard of or considered an option like this? Is this like Yorkville? 

I briefly perused this option and was turned off by 1) the obscene cost of tuition, and 2) that it doesn't seem to be accredited by the CASWE. This doesn't necessarily mean that one won't be able to practice in Canada, but may just present some additional hurdles depending on provincial regulations. Curious to hear what others may think though!

45 minutes ago, N_D said:

I briefly perused this option and was turned off by 1) the obscene cost of tuition, and 2) that it doesn't seem to be accredited by the CASWE. This doesn't necessarily mean that one won't be able to practice in Canada, but may just present some additional hurdles depending on provincial regulations. Curious to hear what others may think though!

Thanks for the input. I only applied to Ryerson's MSW Advance Standing program (the wait is killer) and am really doubtful about getting accepting this time. 

While we wait for the other schools, it would be awesome to hear from people that decided to take or are considering a different route for their Masters - especially if you already have a BSW and are a part of the College. 

I was also considering The Master of Narrative Therapy and Community Work (collaboration between Dulwich Centre and University of Melbourne).