Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

33 minutes ago, sleepydeprived said:

Thanks for the input. I only applied to Ryerson's MSW Advance Standing program (the wait is killer) and am really doubtful about getting accepting this time. 

While we wait for the other schools, it would be awesome to hear from people that decided to take or are considering a different route for their Masters - especially if you already have a BSW and are a part of the College. 

I was also considering The Master of Narrative Therapy and Community Work (collaboration between Dulwich Centre and University of Melbourne). 

Hey, I'm also going in a different direction if I don't get in this year... I'm kinda over all of us having high averages and experience and not being accepted.

Ironically ryerson is my first choice too.. I am considering counselling at U of Guelph and Art Therapy at Concordia. I want to do art and alternative therapy in the future 

2 hours ago, N_D said:

I briefly perused this option and was turned off by 1) the obscene cost of tuition, and 2) that it doesn't seem to be accredited by the CASWE. This doesn't necessarily mean that one won't be able to practice in Canada, but may just present some additional hurdles depending on provincial regulations. Curious to hear what others may think though!

I too would be very hesitant about putting my effort and money into a non-accredited school. 

Anyone ever experience a reference late to submit a LOR?

I have one prof submitting three LORs for me - for York MSW, UofT MSW, and York Post-Degree BSW. He submitted both of the MSW letters on time but has yet to submit the BSW one and the deadline is Feb 27. I sent him an email a week ago to remind him but haven't heard back. ? I'm getting worried. I'm planning to send him another email tomorrow, even though I feel slightly awkward being so pushy. Ugh. 

14 hours ago, SuzyH said:

I too would be very hesitant about putting my effort and money into a non-accredited school. 

It looks like it is credited by CSWE (America). CSWE and CASWE have mutual agreements on accreditation, which mean that program will be accredited in Canada. The only con I see is the high cost of tuition. 

14 hours ago, MDS96 said:

I have one prof submitting three LORs for me - for York MSW, UofT MSW, and York Post-Degree BSW. He submitted both of the MSW letters on time but has yet to submit the BSW one and the deadline is Feb 27. I sent him an email a week ago to remind him but haven't heard back. ? I'm getting worried. I'm planning to send him another email tomorrow, even though I feel slightly awkward being so pushy. Ugh. 

I had to remind one of my references several times and she submitted her reference at like 10pm on the last day, definitely not unusual! Don't feel bad about it, and consider giving him a phone call. 

22 minutes ago, Purple-Elephant said:

I had to remind one of my references several times and she submitted her reference at like 10pm on the last day, definitely not unusual! Don't feel bad about it, and consider giving him a phone call. 

Whew, thanks for the reassuring reply! I emailed him this morning and may call him later today (crossing my fingers he submits it soon and I don't have to!). 

Honestly, the stress of waiting on references is almost as bad as waiting to hear back from the schools haha. 

2 hours ago, MDS96 said:

Whew, thanks for the reassuring reply! I emailed him this morning and may call him later today (crossing my fingers he submits it soon and I don't have to!). 

Honestly, the stress of waiting on references is almost as bad as waiting to hear back from the schools haha. 

Many schools will extend a deadline as this is not your fault - perhaps write the school, let them know the steps you have taken, and ask them what can be done.

17 hours ago, MDS96 said:

I had a reference who stopped responding to my email two weeks before it’s due. I know how stressful it is. You want to remind them but you feel like they’re not obligated to do anything for hou. I had to change this professor to a new reference a week before the deadline. lol I didn’t want to risk it. 

21 minutes ago, annley said:

Hi everyone, been lurking for a while. I'm just curious if anyone has any advice/feedback to give regarding their personal statements. I'm applying for 2020 and any information would be helpful.

My best advice is to be professional, reflective, honest, and vulnerable without oversharing.

If you use those lenses you should have a great statement! =)

24 minutes ago, getthatbread said:

Hey - new to this thread but have been looking at it for quite some time now. Also a very nervous MSW applicant. Does anyone know when/how ryerson and york start accepting students? The wait is killer! 

Good luck everyone :) Hoping for the best for all of you!! 

Hi! From a quick website search this is what I was able to find.
Ryerons: We will start to notify first consideration applicants of admissions decisions in mid-March, and will continue to notify all applicants of an admissions decision on a rolling basis until all available spots have been filled.  
*https://www.ryerson.ca/socialwork/admissions/msw-faqs/

York: Nothing sorry =/

Hope that helps even just a little!

12 minutes ago, moonsun.jang said:

if anyone hears back from Laurier this week please let us know! ?

Same goes for Western and U of T but I am am told that those are sent out mid March. ?

Did you apply to the 2 year or advanced standing? From my understanding, offers are done in stages and 2 year offers go out after advance standing.
UofT advance standing went out last week... so hopefully soon!

The wait for Laurier is also killing me right now... checking my email FAR TOO OFTEN

1 minute ago, Back to School said:

Did you apply to the 2 year or advanced standing? From my understanding, offers are done in stages and 2 year offers go out after advance standing.
UofT advance standing went out last week... so hopefully soon!

The wait for Laurier is also killing me right now... checking my email FAR TOO OFTEN

No, I should have specified that I applied to the 2 year program for all of them. Yourself? And hahahaha ME TOO ?

22 minutes ago, moonsun.jang said:

Same goes for Western and U of T but I am am told that those are sent out mid March. ?

I have applied to the 2 year program for all of them.

Last year, they sent out acceptances to the 2 year U of T program the last week of March 

44 minutes ago, Back to School said:

Hi! From a quick website search this is what I was able to find.
Ryerons: We will start to notify first consideration applicants of admissions decisions in mid-March, and will continue to notify all applicants of an admissions decision on a rolling basis until all available spots have been filled.  
*https://www.ryerson.ca/socialwork/admissions/msw-faqs/

York: Nothing sorry =/

Hope that helps even just a little!

I actually just looked at the forum from last year and it looks like both universities called their applicants and acceptances went out around first/second week of March. Thank you so much for your response! 

2 hours ago, getthatbread said:

Hey - new to this thread but have been looking at it for quite some time now. Also a very nervous MSW applicant. Does anyone know when/how ryerson and york start accepting students? The wait is killer! 

Good luck everyone :) Hoping for the best for all of you!! 

I applied to York last year and I got declined (sad) in late March/ early April I think. Maybe that helps?

1 hour ago, moonsun.jang said:

I have applied to the 2 year program for all of them.

Laurier told me that applicants won't be informed until as late as May!? Are people hearing back? 

21 minutes ago, SuzyH said:

I found out I was accepted to Laurier through Loris before the e-mail went out, if that helps at all. I am still waiting to hear from Waterloo. Positive vibes to all!

congrats! when did you find out? did they also send an email? Could you also confirm the program. Thanks!

Edited by jsmith19

33 minutes ago, jsmith19 said:

congrats! when did you find out? did they also send an email? Could you also confirm the program. Thanks!

I applied to the May start Advanced Standing part time program for those with a BSW. I can't recall the day in January, sorry. I happened to check Loris and saw a congrats letter where I usually check. A few minutes later I received an e-mail that linked to the same letter.  It was a few days before other cohorts were notified as I think part time AS get notified first.

1 hour ago, SuzyH said:

I applied to the May start Advanced Standing part time program for those with a BSW. I can't recall the day in January, sorry. I happened to check Loris and saw a congrats letter where I usually check. A few minutes later I received an e-mail that linked to the same letter.  It was a few days before other cohorts were notified as I think part time AS get notified first.

good to know! I'm waiting to hear about Laurier's September start Advanced Standing and Waterloo's program. Have heard back from U of T but would like to review the programs more thoroughly when I receive responses from Laurier and Waterloo. 

Edited by jsmith19

2 hours ago, jsmith19 said:

good to know! I'm waiting to hear about Laurier's September start Advanced Standing and Waterloo's program. Have heard back from U of T but would like to review the programs more thoroughly when I receive responses from Laurier and Waterloo. 

i am in a similar position!  i have heard from dal - still waiting for laurier, u vic and waterloo.  the wait is so hard!  i think i am going to end up paying $200 to secure dalhousie as the deadline for that is march 2nd.  erg.