Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

5 minutes ago, Roosterduck said:

I got accepted to Carleton MSW, and went there for my BSW. The profs are okay.... it's a small program and there aren't many profs to select from.  My friend did  (advanced standing) it last year and a friend is doing it now. They think it's okay, no complaints. I would recommend the other programs, tbh but Ottawa is a good student city and there are a lot of placements in the city.  

Thanks! I really appreciate you getting back to me...I do like Ottawa a lot!  

Just now, Laurabeth79 said:

Thanks! I really appreciate you getting back to me...I do like Ottawa a lot!  

You have 2 research courses, 2 electives and 2 (intervention or policy) - the prof that teaches intervention is relatively new to the faculty (he has a Japanese last name). Some of the profs that teach electives are kinda mean, but the core faculty are pretty chill. I really liked a Roy Hanes and Sarah Todd is an amazing prof (friends had her for BSW). You can work too because the placement is in the summer while courses during the year and there are a lot of job opportunities close to campus. 

45 minutes ago, Roosterduck said:

Hi, I am currently in the advanced standing student at the U of T program and will be finishing in April of this year. I have a few thoughts for those applying and feel free to DM me. Please understand that I come from a pretty "heavy academic background." Social work has been really, really easy and understanding that no one can really be completely unbiased ,these comments are my own, but there are others in this program that would agree with these thoughts.  

These are just the "raw" details for the program -

I was waitlisted, but I did get in. I told them blatantly that my end goal was social justice, but not social work. I had pretty decent marks A-/A when applying and several years of experience. My competition was against other BSW students. Most people that enter are pretty young. Profs said "we were the creme of the crop" - this is a not true. Our program is 150-160 2 year program and 84 advanced standing. Most programs are around 40-70 (2-year and advanced standing). How can the biggest program in Canada have all high quality students?? 

Finances- 

When you enter, you pay for three semesters automatically - yes, it is a money making scheme because this was only changed in the past 10 years (my supervisor finished her program in 2 semesters and was charged accordingly). So I paid $11,500 even though I will not take courses this summer. When you finish ALL your required credits, you are "auto graduated" meaning I cannot take courses this summer even though I paid for it (I would have to drop a course now or have enrolled in one less course this term). U of T states this in one of their acceptance packages they will not return your summer money. I would highly recommend taking courses in the summer (online courses if in another city) before the fall so that you can take less courses and find a part time job during the year.  OSAP provided me ... $10,000, that covers tuition pretty well, but I am also getting robbed by Toronto rent. Entrance scholarships are not huge and with many applicants, don't expect to get one or even a large one if you do (unless you are a social work god). Bursaries are offered, but they range from 4k-7k and again, they are highly competitive because there are so many students and getting As these days in undergrad is not hard...

"School of thought" - 

This program is clinical - more traditional. It honestly does not care about AOP, structural or the other more sociology leaning streams of social work. Do not expect your colleagues or profs to talk about gender, class, race in a deep manner. Not to shame, but the profs are mainly white and come from wealthy backgrounds and its evident in who it admits and the ethos of the school. It's all superficial (ie. tagged question at the end of a essay paper) if they do talk about it. This may be a downfall of the program, but coming from a structural background, I wanted a different perspective and was happy to learn some real clinical skills...and not have profs waste class time on a rant about how all white and rich people were evil. 

Placements - 

Placements in the hospitals are highly competitive and they are not all good. I've heard of some amazing positions (I have an amazing placement) and some horrendous (my colleagues have cried to me) - understand that many SWers are in the hospital setting, they are there for the salary and the good working environment (by good, I mean you're not in an underfunded shelter that can't afford pens) - most SW positions in hospital settings are discharge planning (you are there to "transition patients into the community"....kicking people out to keep the manager happy as to not waste "taxpayer dollars").  There are some positions that are counselling, these are legit and I would recommend them. The matching here is algorithm based and no one actually knows how it matches people. Supervisors often say "no" to students in interviews if they do not think you are competent enough - hospital SW is a lot of work. These are "real" interviews. Do not take them lightly - previously in my BSW, you were pretty much given the placement if you asked. Here, you are given a real caseload by supersivors. 

Speaking to the classes -  

U of T has a reputation because of the research of the profs, not their teaching quality. The profs give out many, many A- and A which devalues the work of students that put in real effort. A+ are rarely given out (depends on the prof) because they have to meet the distribution. The concentrations are kinda a marketing gimmick. You only get 2 real courses that are part of your concentration and 2 electives that you can take in any of the fields. You CAN take courses in other concentrations - you just need permission from the prof. The mental health and health is the biggest one - it is a joke. The policy course was boring and poorly managed. I took 2 mental health courses that were at best okay (i'll pay for a crash course in CBT and DBT after this degree). You can totally finish the courses with their timetable recommendations if you are only doing school. I took 3 courses the first term and 4 this term - doing work after placement is hard but its possible. Taking into consideration getting an A- is really easy...you will survive this program even if you academically struggle (assuming you get in).... 

Final recommendations -

do not get discouraged if you are not accepted here.  If you want social work, you as a person speak more than the degree on your resume. You can learn all the content by yourself and let's be real - sitting in class won't make you more passionate about social justice, empathetic or give you better conversational skills (experience will). This program is the best - "okay" for 2 year program applicants. BSW students entering will learn almost nothing from the classes considering you're paying almost $12 000. pls DM me if you have questions :) I am here because I wanted to work in Toronto after graduation (and I do have an edge over York and Ryerson - reputation and U of T has a monopoly on placements here) and I was not expecting to come to this school - I only applied for the fun of it. DM me if you have questions! 

...ouff.

9 minutes ago, Roosterduck said:

You have 2 research courses, 2 electives and 2 (intervention or policy) - the prof that teaches intervention is relatively new to the faculty (he has a Japanese last name). Some of the profs that teach electives are kinda mean, but the core faculty are pretty chill. I really liked a Roy Hanes and Sarah Todd is an amazing prof (friends had her for BSW). You can work too because the placement is in the summer while courses during the year and there are a lot of job opportunities close to campus. 

I do like the way the program is set up...especially having practicum in summer as I will need to work.  I'm not excited about profs that are kind of mean lol....however having a core faculty that's chill is important.  Thanks for giving me some names of profs to look for...I don't want to sell myself short by accepting at Carleton when other school do have more prestige but the funding is a hard thing to give up....

Just now, Laurabeth79 said:

I do like the way the program is set up...especially having practicum in summer as I will need to work.  I'm not excited about profs that are kind of mean lol....however having a core faculty that's chill is important.  Thanks for giving me some names of profs to look for...I don't want to sell myself short by accepting at Carleton when other school do have more prestige but the funding is a hard thing to give up....

Don't worry about the prestige. I came to Toronto for that and was LET DOWN. Some of these students are dummies man. After 2 years of working no one will care where you did school unless you want a PhD...but even then with practice you can apply for good programs even if you go to Carleton. I'd say focus on where you will secure a placement (Ottawa is a bigger city than your options) as that will be your bridge to a future job where it will pretty much negate where you went for MSW. I got a hospital placement at a good hospital and that was worth shitty MSW classes and being robbed by rent. 

1 minute ago, Roosterduck said:

Don't worry about the prestige. I came to Toronto for that and was LET DOWN. Some of these students are dummies man. After 2 years of working no one will care where you did school unless you want a PhD...but even then with practice you can apply for good programs even if you go to Carleton. I'd say focus on where you will secure a placement (Ottawa is a bigger city than your options) as that will be your bridge to a future job where it will pretty much negate where you went for MSW. I got a hospital placement at a good hospital and that was worth shitty MSW classes and being robbed by rent. 

Thank you so much!  You just really helped set my mind at ease and I'm grateful.  I do worry about where a person gets there MSW having an impact on future job prospects, so I appreciate the thoughts around that.  And yes so true about the prospects of placement...that is so important!  Again, thank you so much.  I've been agonizing over this decision for some time and don't want to make the wrong one....your input has been super helpful!

Hi everyone! 

Congrats to those who have been accepted to the Laurier Advanced standing in person program. Just curious for those who were accepted, when do you have to respond with your decision? I have been waitlisted and just trying to gage a time frame. 

All the best! 

5 minutes ago, Golden10 said:

Hi everyone! 

Congrats to those who have been accepted to the Laurier Advanced standing in person program. Just curious for those who were accepted, when do you have to respond with your decision? I have been waitlisted and just trying to gage a time frame. 

All the best! 

Hi @Golden10!
Do you mind me asking when you heard from Laurier? Is this a recent development?

Thanks! ?
Update:
Never mind I just read the page before this one. Thanks for tipping me off to it!

Edited by Back to School

3 minutes ago, Laurabeth79 said:

Thank you so much!  You just really helped set my mind at ease and I'm grateful.  I do worry about where a person gets there MSW having an impact on future job prospects, so I appreciate the thoughts around that.  And yes so true about the prospects of placement...that is so important!  Again, thank you so much.  I've been agonizing over this decision for some time and don't want to make the wrong one....your input has been super helpful!

When someone looks at your resume, they will see what you have done at your placement and hire people according to that. You can go to U of T and have an average placement (and I know students that do)- Employers would not take someone just based on the little university emblem they are representing over someone from Carleton that has had a superb placement and a CV that reflects that.

You seem passionate and driven. Good luck in your choice and just remember - the school doesn't make the social worker, you as a person does (my friend at U of T told that to me when I was deciding between accepting Carleton MSW and U of T).

41 minutes ago, Roosterduck said:

Did you not get your letter yet? My friend got her waitlist letter already for U of T 

reach out to me if you have any questions! 

no I haven't heard anything, but I applied to the two year program so I think I'll hear back a little bit later.

I didn't get super amazing marks in undergrad so I know U of T is a long shot, but thought I should apply anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Golden10 said:

Hey! I heard today about being waitlisted. 

Unless they are doing emails in waves, I don't think I got in. No email and my admissions page hasn't changed at all yet.

Oh well makes my decision process easier I guess =P

2 minutes ago, Chantalilly said:

I was accepted to Laurier advanced standing with allot of funding!! I can’t believe it... my first choice is still ryerson... but not sure if they will be paying for my education as Laurier is haha 

congrats all

Much love 

Congrats on your acceptance! Just curious when Laurier's decision date is to respond? 

Edited by Golden10

Anyone who got accepted into the U of T advanced standing program: when is your deadline to accept? I’m currently on the waitlist and I’m just wondering if there is a possibility of movement any time soon? I know it’s a long shot, but I’ve recently talked to two people who were accepted off the waitlist in previous years. 

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Chantalilly said:

I was accepted to Laurier advanced standing with allot of funding!! I can’t believe it... my first choice is still ryerson... but not sure if they will be paying for my education as Laurier is haha 

congrats all

Much love 

Congrats! Hopefully you hear from Ryerson soon’

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Waterloo for online part time? I need to make a final decision soon and am worried how much longer I will need to wait...

2 hours ago, Golden10 said:

Hey! I heard today about being waitlisted. 

Hi there,
Do you mind letting me know if they sent an email or updated your status through loris, or both?