Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

11 minutes ago, viclane96 said:

Hey everyone - has anyone who applied to UofT received an acceptance through acorn yet? 

From the past couple years .. advanced standing students can look forward to hearing back starting this week 

7 hours ago, Giantoreo said:

Just curious, what does everyone have for their experience and gpa? 

Applied to UofT Advanced Standing - MH&H Stream

BSW: 4.09 
SSW: 3.90

Approximately .. 
16k paid employment in mental health
1k volunteer experience 
3k in paid/volunteer international experience
1k in local/international research experience 

References - Ph.D Prof in SW, MSW placement supervisor, (Not sure what degree) employer 

On 2/16/2019 at 11:20 AM, MSWWWW said:

Hi all, lurker here! I got accepted to Carleton last night - 2 year program for those without a BSW... woo! 

They emailed me to notify me and acceptance details are avail through Carleton Central. Best of luck to all!

On 2/16/2019 at 12:21 PM, Canadamsw2019 said:

Congratulations!! I also was accepted to the Carleton 2 year program yesterday :)

congratulation to you both!!

I was accepted into Laurier's may online cohort. My stats are:

Completing my BA in Child and Youth Care in April. Currently my cumulative GPA is 3.93 (4.0 in my last 10 courses).

I have been working as an educational assistant for the OCDSB since I got my diploma in Child and Youth Work in 2010. For the last 2 years I have been in an alternate high school program for First Nations, Metis and Inuit students, but I have also worked in mainstream classes and spec. ed programs for students with behaviour and mental health diagnoses.

I also spent 4 years working for the special needs department of the City of Ottawa parks and rec. I have worked in and then run therapeutic rec programs for children with behaviour and mental health diagnoses and programs for children who are on the autism spectrum. 

My placements were with a semi-independent housing program for justice-involved youth and a day treatment school-based program for young people with mental health disorders.

1 hour ago, SC-MSW 2019 said:

Hello!

I applied to Laurier's and York's Advanced Standing MSW Programs. I am currently awaiting to hear whether I am accepted or declined. 

Schools/GPA: -BSW, York University (7.67 B+, almost an 80% GPA)

-SSW, Sheridan College (4.0)

Experience: 4’515 hours of volunteer, placement, and work experience with people with disabilities, children, youth, and families.

-Placements: -700-hour BSW Placement in the Employment Department of a disability agency.

-600-hour SSW Placement at a day program for adults with disabilities, dual diagnosis, and mental health.                   

-Summer Work: Provided support to children and youth with intellectual disabilities with recreational programming, volunteering/job coaching, transit training, and at summer camps.      

-Volunteering: Adult disability programs; elementary and high school classes/special education programming; childcare centre; social justice committee member; SSW alumni panel guest speaker. 

References: BSW Professor, SSW Professor, Manager of Volunteer/Student Services from a disability agency 

Written Statement: Focused on clinical and social justice practices for people with disabilities and mental health 

I'm aware that many applicants have stronger applications than mine (as they have higher GPA's and more work experience than myself), but I am hopeful that my overall application and my experiences are what they are looking for! 

keeping my fingers crossed for you. Your stats look good to me. I do hope you get in ?

26 minutes ago, FK@UofT said:

Applied to UofT Advanced Standing - MH&H Stream

BSW: 4.09 
SSW: 3.90

Approximately .. 
16k paid employment in mental health
1k volunteer experience 
3k in paid/volunteer international experience
1k in local/international research experience 

References - Ph.D Prof in SW, MSW placement supervisor, (Not sure what degree) employer 

Wow, that is incredible!!! Congrats on all you accomplished! ?

I am an older student who changed career paths (international relations/anthropology), went back to school and received my BSW in 2017. I applied to Waterloo and Laurier distance based advanced standing MSW part-time programs. I had a GPA of 4.1   and 10,000 hours of human service related work (policy and service delivery with rural/remote communities, international field work, working with Indigenous populations) and volunteering (service delivery, outreach, and board work). My placements were in Child Protection and the Family Violence Intervention Court.  I work with refugees, particularly women who have experienced prolonged captivity and extreme sexual and gender based violence. My personal statement reflected this work and clinical skills I hope to develop to further support this population.

I was accepted at Laurier, and am still waiting to hear from Waterloo. 

Edited by SuzyH

20 minutes ago, ErinCM said:

I was accepted into Laurier's may online cohort. My stats are:

Completing my BA in Child and Youth Care in April. Currently my cumulative GPA is 3.93 (4.0 in my last 10 courses).

I have been working as an educational assistant for the OCDSB since I got my diploma in Child and Youth Work in 2010. For the last 2 years I have been in an alternate high school program for First Nations, Metis and Inuit students, but I have also worked in mainstream classes and spec. ed programs for students with behaviour and mental health diagnoses.

I also spent 4 years working for the special needs department of the City of Ottawa parks and rec. I have worked in and then run therapeutic rec programs for children with behaviour and mental health diagnoses and programs for children who are on the autism spectrum. 

My placements were with a semi-independent housing program for justice-involved youth and a day treatment school-based program for young people with mental health disorders.

You have an abundance of amazing experience! Congrats on getting into Laurier!! It is well deserved! ?

23 minutes ago, MSW-101 said:

keeping my fingers crossed for you. Your stats look good to me. I do hope you get in ?

Thank you so much for your encouragement! I hope you get in as well. All the best!! ?

9 minutes ago, SuzyH said:

I am an older student who changed career paths (international relations/anthropology), went back to school and received my BSW in 2017. I applied to Waterloo and Laurier distance based advanced standing MSW part-time programs. I had a GPA of 4.1   and 10,000 hours of human service related work (policy and service delivery with rural/remote communities, international field work, working with Indigenous populations) and volunteering (service delivery, outreach, and board work). My placements were in Child Protection and the Family Violence Intervention Court.  I work with refugees, particularly women who have experienced prolonged captivity and extreme sexual and gender based violence. My personal statement reflected this work and clinical skills I hope to develop to further support this population.

I was accepted at Laurier, and am still waiting to hear from Waterloo. 

Congratulations on getting into Laurier!! ? You have contributed so much to the field!!

24 minutes ago, SC-MSW 2019 said:

Congratulations on getting into Laurier!! ? You have contributed so much to the field!!

Thank you so much, I think we are all pretty awesome! Best of luck to everyone ?‍❤️‍?

2 hours ago, viclane96 said:

Hey everyone - has anyone who applied to UofT received an acceptance through acorn yet? 

No one posted on this forum yet. Should be this week hopefully if not soon. Good luck

What stream did you applied to if you don't mind me asking?

38 minutes ago, MSW-101 said:

No one posted on this forum yet. Should be this week hopefully if not soon. Good luck

What stream did you applied to if you don't mind me asking?

I applied to Children and their Families! I applied last year and was waitlisted so here's to hoping haha. How about you?

14 minutes ago, viclane96 said:

I applied to Children and their Families! I applied last year and was waitlisted so here's to hoping haha. How about you?

Did you apply to the advanced standing - or two year program? 

21 minutes ago, viclane96 said:

I applied to Gerontology advance standing