Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone on here has applied to Carleton for the Advanced Year Entry program.  I just checked online and my status still says "Review in progress by department".  Just wondering if everyone else is seeing the same thing, or if it's moved along at all to perhaps " Recommended for assessment"?  Just curious!  Good luck to everyone!

17 hours ago, Laurabeth79 said:

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone on here has applied to Carleton for the Advanced Year Entry program.  I just checked online and my status still says "Review in progress by department".  Just wondering if everyone else is seeing the same thing, or if it's moved along at all to perhaps " Recommended for assessment"?  Just curious!  Good luck to everyone!

I applied to Carleton for the two year program and mine says "Review in Progress by department".. it's said that since early December. Keep checking everyday, good luck!

1 hour ago, Keekee23 said:

Hey Everyone :) 

Did anyone apply to UofT's Master of Social work for non BSW students or Windsor's non BSW Masters Program!! I applied to UofT's MSW for non BSW in December and was wondering if anyone knew when they would be releasing their results. Good luck to everyone who applied!!

For the UofT 2 year (non bsw) msw, mid to late March is typically when it comes out. 

Has anyone else heard about the changes to OSAP that are going into effect? https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/feature/multiple-changes-to-osap-were-announced-today-this-is-how-they-will-affect-ontario-students 

I am feeling even more worried about being able to fund my studies next year. I was really relying on grant funding. Online part-time might be my only option now :/ 

4 hours ago, Purple-Elephant said:

Has anyone else heard about the changes to OSAP that are going into effect? https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/feature/multiple-changes-to-osap-were-announced-today-this-is-how-they-will-affect-ontario-students 

I am feeling even more worried about being able to fund my studies next year. I was really relying on grant funding. Online part-time might be my only option now ?

I heard about it today and am pissed off! Who okayed this?! Kathleen Wynne did a great thing when she put this policy into place. I'm concerned with having to take out hefty loans just to fund my educatio now. Smdh.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:58 AM, Keekee23 said:

Hey Everyone :) 

Did anyone apply to UofT's Master of Social work for non BSW students or Windsor's non BSW Masters Program!! I applied to UofT's MSW for non BSW in December and was wondering if anyone knew when they would be releasing their results. Good luck to everyone who applied!!

I worked with an Alumni for my UofT application (non-BSW) who is still in close contact with the admissions committee - she said that we should hear "around April," some people that are on the waitlist hear back up until June :)

There is a lot of time for hope even after first offers!! 

25 minutes ago, Psych_101 said:

I worked with an Alumni for my UofT application (non-BSW) who is still in close contact with the admissions committee - she said that we should hear "around April," some people that are on the waitlist hear back up until June :)

There is a lot of time for hope even after first offers!! 

On 1/15/2019 at 9:23 AM, No display name said:

I mostly am a research assistant at the hospital, but I do have direct contact with mental health patients and I've often facilitated recreational groups, which I know one of my references did highlight, and that reference is a registered social worker. So no, it definitely isn't directly related to social work, but I think they consider it pretty close since it is in a therapeutic capacity. It's really tough I know, cause it's hard to find direct clinical expeirence without a masters, and you can't seem to get a masters without direct clinical experience!!! 

Grades was my concern as well, and i spent the last year upgrading a few courses through athabasca online courses. I remember them saying that you need at least a B to be considered, but it isn't competitive unless you have an A-... so I spent the last year slowly upgrading my gpa by taking 3 courses through athabasca online. 

Thank you for responding! Would you happen to know what average you were in competition in for this cohort? & Do you mind explaining how taking online courses through Athabasca worked? Did you retake courses that were relevant to take such as research methods, or just social science courses? I am considering enrolling to bump my grades up in order to keep up with the competition. 

Hi all,

Joining a bit late, but I’m a 2017 BSW grad and applied to Wilfrid Laurier’s advanced program for May 2019 (denied), as well as Waterloo and Memorial’s advanced programs.

I have two years of RSW work in hospital, community mental health and provincial case management (have tried everything) and three years as a Mental Health Support worker in a community residence for adults with ‘schizophrenia’. My GPA in my BA was 3.7 and 3.9 in my BSW.

Has anyone else applied to MUN, and do we know when to expect news from Waterloo?

Was disappointed about Wilfrid Laurier, however it’s my first time applying so if nothing works out this time around I’ll apply to all again next year :)

Edited by Em973

14 hours ago, Em973 said:

Hi all,

Joining a bit late, but I’m a 2017 BSW grad and applied to Wilfrid Laurier’s advanced program for May 2019 (denied), as well as Waterloo and Memorial’s advanced programs.

I have two years of RSW work in hospital, community mental health and provincial case management (have tried everything) and three years as a Mental Health Support worker in a community residence for adults with ‘schizophrenia’. My GPA in my BA was 3.7 and 3.9 in my BSW.

Has anyone else applied to MUN, and do we know when to expect news from Waterloo?

Was disappointed about Wilfrid Laurier, however it’s my first time applying so if nothing works out this time around I’ll apply to all again next year :)

I have not applied to those programs, but with your experience and GPA it is surprising to me that you were not accepted at Laurier. I think you have a good chance at the other programs. Fingers crossed for you! 

Very hopeful to get accepted to the BSW program at U of T for the 2 year MSW program. Does anyone have any insight on what kind of volunteer/work experience they are looking for? I have applied to the Dalhousie BSW twice and thought I would move forward and try applying to the MSW at U of T. 

Hello Everyone,

For those who got accepted into Laurier's online MSW program, when is the deadline to accept/decline? 

Is anyone aware of when Laurier offered admissions to Advanced Standing applicants with a BSW last year?

A few weeks ago I heard that Advanced Standing applicants would find out late February/early March if they're accepted. Hopefully we hear soon!

Thank you very much! 

2 hours ago, SC-MSW 2019 said:

Hello Everyone,

For those who got accepted into Laurier's online MSW program, when is the deadline to accept/decline? 

Is anyone aware of when Laurier offered admissions to Advanced Standing applicants with a BSW last year?

A few weeks ago I heard that Advanced Standing applicants would find out late February/early March if they're accepted. Hopefully we hear soon!

Thank you very much! 

The deadline is January 29 to accept. Not sure when it was last year! Good luck. 

13 hours ago, Purple-Elephant said:

The deadline is January 29 to accept. Not sure when it was last year! Good luck. 

Thank you so much! Best of luck to you as well.

I'm hoping Laurier would send out their acceptances next month for the in-person Advanced Standing MSW. 

1 hour ago, Anniemsw said:

Has anyone applied to the Ryerson or York MSW program for 2019? Wondering if it's as competitive as U of T's program:)

I have applied to York's Advanced Standing MSW for September 2019. From what I have heard, it is very competitive as they are one of the only schools that I'm aware of that gives all their students a fellowship which covers most of tuition fees. They usually accept 40 people in the Advanced Standing MSW and 20 people in the two year MSW for those without a BSW. York is focused on Critical Social Work and they are usually more interested in applicants whose applications are more geared to social justice, research, advocacy, and Critical Social Work theories. 

I'm not too sure about Ryerson, but I have heard they roughly accept the same number of people as York. 

Even though York is very competitive, I have heard U of T is even more competitive. U of T always has the most applicants as their MSW programs attract more people who are interested in Clinical Social Work. 

16 hours ago, Anniemsw said:

Has anyone applied to the Ryerson or York MSW program for 2019? Wondering if it's as competitive as U of T's program:)

14 hours ago, SC-MSW 2019 said:

I have applied to York's Advanced Standing MSW for September 2019. From what I have heard, it is very competitive as they are one of the only schools that I'm aware of that gives all their students a fellowship which covers most of tuition fees. They usually accept 40 people in the Advanced Standing MSW and 20 people in the two year MSW for those without a BSW. York is focused on Critical Social Work and they are usually more interested in applicants whose applications are more geared to social justice, research, advocacy, and Critical Social Work theories. 

I'm not too sure about Ryerson, but I have heard they roughly accept the same number of people as York. 

Even though York is very competitive, I have heard U of T is even more competitive. U of T always has the most applicants as their MSW programs attract more people who are interested in Clinical Social Work. 

@SC-MSW 2019 You make some really good points! I would say, however, that purely from an acceptance rate perspective I believe that York is more competitive than UofT. UofT is a much larger program but they also have way more applicants. 

In last year's MSW forum, some people did have insights as to what the acceptance rates for both these schools are. From what I remember, the rate was lower for York. If you're interested you can look through that forum. 

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, SwagMaster said:

@SC-MSW 2019 You make some really good points! I would say, however, that purely from an acceptance rate perspective I believe that York is more competitive than UofT. UofT is a much larger program but they also have way more applicants. 

In last year's MSW forum, some people did have insights as to what the acceptance rates for both these schools are. From what I remember, the rate was lower for York. If you're interested you can look through that forum. 

Best of luck!

Thanks for the information! Best of luck too! 

On 1/20/2019 at 1:45 PM, ntsgrg said:

Thank you for responding! Would you happen to know what average you were in competition in for this cohort? & Do you mind explaining how taking online courses through Athabasca worked? Did you retake courses that were relevant to take such as research methods, or just social science courses? I am considering enrolling to bump my grades up in order to keep up with the competition. 

Sorry I'm not fully understanding the first part of your question - my average was around a 3.7. You have 6 months to complete the course, and you just work at your own pace. They are definitely on the more expensive side, ~$800 per course. I just took whatever course interested me, which for myself was random psychology courses. Then (from my understanding), the way it worked was they look at the 10 most recent, so I just kept upgrading until I bumped out some of my poorer grades. Hopefully that makes sense? Feel free to direct message me if you have other questions :)